Recommendations for ~$100 closed headphones?
Dec 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mach4piggy

New Head-Fier
Hello all. After countless $20 buds breaking on me and delivering sub-par experiences, I've decided to invest more fully into my music listening.  I've been reading a lot of reviews and such, but I don't know too much about what makes a quality headphone in general.

I'll use them mostly for listening to music.  I listen mostly to metal, rock, alternative, and things of that nature.

I realize my price range won't allow for a really amazing pair, but I'm hoping to find a set with a good quality/price ratio.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I have been considering both the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S and the AKG K514 MKII.  The M50s are a bit out of my price range though, and I'm just not too sure about the AKGs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to my n00bish self.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 13
Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-thread

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll throw it in the pile of headphones are researching. Said research has been disappointingly fruitless to this point.  The combination of circumaural, closed-back, stylish, and ,<$100 is proving quite difficult to achieve.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 13
They do seem like a good option, especially if I can find them at a price similar to that. 

Being new to all this, I don't really understand why some headphones need amps to perform well through an ipod, while others don't.  So my question is, will these work well enough through an ipod w/o an amp? Because I'm going to use these a lot for walking around campus and such.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 13
I listen through them unamped through my iTouch and laptop all the time.  In my opinion, they are great all around casual headphones (according to my ears), however, if you are strictly a basshead, than there might be better options that will satisfy your needs.  They are also EXTREMELY comfortable as it uses velour padding, you will barely notice the weight on your head, and you can easily listen to your music for hours non-stop.  Oh yeah, the cable is also detachable, but you probably won't find yourself removing the cable, as it requires alot of force to remove it.  I guess the main downside is the fact that it doesn't come with a carrying case.  Your local Bestbuy should have them, though you check online first and verify they have it in stock if you want to check it out in person.  You may want to check out the HD 439 reviews that have already been done here.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #12 of 13
Koss TBSE/DJ100 are very much worth considering - they're within your budget, sound good with rock and metal (imo), and have a lifetime warranty. If you have Tuesday Morning near you, they may still have the TBSE for $50 (which is a steal); otherwise check Amazon. And they'll drive just dandy from an mp3 player or similar.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 13
Yeah I keep reading that they're good all around headphones, and I'm not a basshead, so they seem to fulfill most every requirement I have.  I went to buy them today on amazon for $31 refurbed, but they sold out -_-  So I screwed myself there.  But I think I'll just go ahead and buy them new. Thanks for all they help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back