Recommendation on upgrading or buying new cans
Jan 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

matmer

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm a noob to the headphone scene and a friend of mine told me to try out the Superlux HD681 as my first pair. So far they've seemed like a great pair of entry cans, but I'm finding that the ear cushions wear out really quick (I've had them for about 2 months and feel like I'll need a new pair soon.)

My question is this. I'd like to get some velour replacements, but they are all about $40 for a pair. I'm wondering (looking for opinions) if I should spend the $40 to get new ear pads, or just spend a little more to get a new pair. I'm on a tight budget so if I get a new pair I could probably only spend around $70.

Thoughts?

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 4
I would either replace the headphones with a new pair as the cost for the pads will be about the same as the Superlux themselves or go for a pair of Grado SR-60 headphones.  The Grado SR-60 will probably last a lifetime if you take care of them and you will gain a little in the bass area as well.  They typically run $79 and match your musical tastes quite well.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Does the Op said something about his musical tastes? 

I'd look into another set of heaphones as well. I think its too much spending $40 on the superlux. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 4
If you like rock, the Grado is the way to go. Velour is also quite nice, though, and if you're loving the sound of the Superlux you may not want to take the chance on a sound signature that may disagree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back