(Recommendation/Help/Discussion?) IEM upgrade from Shortbus Olina / Oxygen
Jun 4, 2022 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yonkerzz

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to Hifi IEMs and purchased my Olinas a month ago and am now looking for an upgrade because of the reasons below.

First the most important stuff out of the way.
I live in Europe, Germany.
My budget is 650€ though I wouldn't mind spending less than that.
I definitely consider used IEMs an option.
I don't know of any place where I could easily try out a lot of IEMs and will mostly rely on reviews and videos.

I now have several issues with my Olinas though.
After adding another filter to add some bass and to fix the sibilance I am now missing the "sparkle and clarity" (which might just be confirmation bias).
Though I like the added bass.

Another issue is the condensation issue which, I must admit, I underestimated a fair bit. As I'm writing this I noticed for the first time that my left side is significantly quieter than the right after wearing them for a while.

The modded Olina graph basically identically to the Oxygen which is why I've used them and the precogvision / Harman target curve as my main references to compare different IEMs on the squig.link .

Thus, I'm now looking for a new set of IEMs to replace my Olina.

I listen to EDM, Hip-Hop with the occasional phonk beats, J-Pop and some Trance.
I'm not very well-versed in genres and I think I listen to quiet a lot more than that but I can't really categorise them because I just wouldn't know what they are.

My search criteria are:
  • Rumble-y bass if the song requires it. (think: Ramsey - Goodbye 1:05, very low tone that, I think, should rumble and lend that part a sense of "grandiosity")
  • Good mid-bass that would give more modern genres such as Pop, Hip-Hop the necessary thump / fun sound.
    A side note is that I don't think I consider myself a diehard basshead. I just appreciate a quality bass where the song requires it.
  • It needs to be clear and sparkly.
    I don't really know if my first real experience with that "sparkle / clarity" was due to the elevated treble or the technical performance that far surpassed my previous mainstream products.
  • Accuracy I would say.
    I want a fun listen without sacrificing technicality and accuracy.
    Ever since getting the Olina as my first true IEM, I have enjoyed just sitting down and giving my library (especially songs with vocals) an analytical listen.
  • Some amount of airy / "free" or above average soundstage.
  • And lastly, I don't really want to bother too much with QC issues and my current condensation issues / channel imbalance.
All these critera are not final and are just what I assume I like in an IEM according to my quiet limited experience with Hifi Audio. (1 IEM lol)
I think overall I will probably value technical performance slightly more than "thumpy" bass / fun tuning.
I do not want a V-shape i would say.
That doesn't mean that I want to completely forego bass like the stock Olina have sounded to me.

I have looked at and compared several IEMs:
  • 64audio U12t. The choice for me if money was not the issue.
    They seem to have an elevated mid-bass akin to the Oxygen but also have insane technical performance.
    Problem, of course, is that they are too expensive.
  • Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk. The most popular recommendation.
    But I fear they are tuned a little too neutral. Some people on the internet say that they can sound boring even.
    A big reason for getting them is the technical performance at their price.
  • Moondrop Variations. An upgrade to the Dusk according to a lot of people.
    It has a thumpier sub-bass but doesn't follow it up with any midbass.
    Furthermore it seems to have slightly recessed lower mids which make me worry that it might sound to thin / cold.
  • Ikko OH10. A warm V-shaped tuning but with worse technicality than the Dusk.
  • Tanchjim Oxygen. I already have the Olinas which basically sound the same and am not sure if upgrading to the Oxygen would be the right choice given all the other options with better technical performance.
  • Thieaudio Monarch / Clairvoyance. They have an elevated sub-bass but have the same issue with sloping down with the mid-bass. Clarity and technical performance are really great apparently. Moreso with the Monarch whereas the Clairvoyance trade that for a more musical tuning.
  • Dunu SA6. Full BA-IEM. Comparable to Dusk's tuning and technicality but I fear the BA drivers make the bass seem too soft.
  • 7Hz Timeless and Shuoer S12. Peaky treble that's even higher than my stock Olina. I will most definitely not like that. Planars are also said to have a narrower sound stage than dynamic drivers. I do value sound stage.
EDIT: One more option?: wait a few months for new IEMs to come out? Both 7Hz and Moondrop alluded to new releases this year.

These are basically most of the options I considered.
In conclusion I want something that sounds slightly warmer on the low-end of things without sacrificing sound clarity / seperation and technical performance.
Again, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a tiny bit of that warmth if it means all my other wants get checked.

I am leaning towards the Dusk / Variations or one of the Thieaudio.
Are my concerns warranted in these cases?

If I misunderstood any of the frequency graphs or information on these IEMs I read online or if I have a false impression of certain IEMs, please feel free to correct me.

I know this is a lot but I've been searching/comparing for days and I would really appreciate some help.
Be it recommendations, reviews or comparisons of different IEMs.

Lastly, I'm not a native english speaker nor do I know a lot of "hifi-lingo".
I tried my best formulate my feelings with what I know and understand.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 8
Since you're in Germany, you might want to look into Sennheiser IE300, especially if there's a way to try them with free returns. For the thumpy music you like, they are bass-boosted yet clear up above and very light and comfortable.

You do need to get a good seal; the stock tips can grip the stems in two different places (with an extra notch on the stem), so there are twice as many possibilities for getting the right fit.

Their downside is that the cable makes noise if you are moving around; they're not for walking around, much less exercising. But if you're sitting at a desk or something they're fine. They were pricey at $300, but in the US they are now $200; hopefully similar in the EU.

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Since you're in Germany, you might want to look into Sennheiser IE300, especially if there's a way to try them with free returns. For the thumpy music you like, they are bass-boosted yet clear up above and very light and comfortable.

You do need to get a good seal; the stock tips can grip the stems in two different places (with an extra notch on the stem), so there are twice as many possibilities for getting the right fit.

Their downside is that the cable makes noise if you are moving around; they're not for walking around, much less exercising. But if you're sitting at a desk or something they're fine. They were pricey at $300, but in the US they are now $200; hopefully similar in the EU.
How are the IE300 compared to the Dusk? I noticed that they seem to have quite a "thick" mid range.
They are also said to be quite a stepdown in sound quality compared to the Dusk.

Are there any options that combine both good qualities of each of these IEMs?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Maybe have a look here: https://www.etymotic.com/bass-boost-earphones/
IMHO Etymotic has always neen "accurate" but a little analytical as well en certainly bass shy.
Their XR serie offers more bass (never tried, I have the ER4P).
Combine this with some EQ to tune it more to your taste.
If you are a true bass head stay away.
I don't really consider Etymotic bc of their insane deep fit lol. Hope you understand that.

May 7, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 8
a nice upgrade to olina is replacing olina filter with tanchjim tanya filter because even for those who don't suffer from massive loudnessdrop when it get clogs with water from cendensation you still partially block the air reducing high frequences

May 7, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 8

IIRC Sennheiser were rolling out a custom tip program in Germany. Worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back