Recommendation for lightweight, open headphones.
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jbi130

New Head-Fier
I'm after some open headphones to I can keep some awareness of whats going on.  I work at home, and the inlaws due to bad health are staying with us for a while.  I need to keep them from hearing the music, yet need to hear some ambient noise to keep an "ear" on things..  I find that over the ear headphones often get too hot for me after a while, but that could be that I've only used cheap closed/semi closed ones before..

Price isn't a big issue, and while I'm not that much of an audiophile, I do appreciate quality.

So the big things for me are open, and not hot.  Currently thinking of lower end Grados.  I'm not opposed to some ear buds if there are ones out there that satisfy my requirements.  But the simple headset that comes with the iPhone is not quite the quality of sound I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
I'm after some open headphones to I can keep some awareness of whats going on.  I work at home, and the inlaws due to bad health are staying with us for a while.  I need to keep them from hearing the music, yet need to hear some ambient noise to keep an "ear" on things..  I find that over the ear headphones often get too hot for me after a while, but that could be that I've only used cheap closed/semi closed ones before..

Price isn't a big issue, and while I'm not that much of an audiophile, I do appreciate quality.

So the big things for me are open, and not hot.  Currently thinking of lower end Grados.  I'm not opposed to some ear buds if there are ones out there that satisfy my requirements.  But the simple headset that comes with the iPhone is not quite the quality of sound I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Heya,

I would look into:

Beyer DT880 32ohm
AudioTechnica AD900 or AD900X
Hifiman HE-300
Sony MA900

Very best,

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 16
You should take a look at the Philips Fidelio L1.
It's semi open so you're still aware of your surrounding and it does a pretty good job of not leaking your music as well.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Heya,

I would look into:

Beyer DT880 32ohm
AudioTechnica AD900 or AD900X
Hifiman HE-300
Sony MA900

Very best,

The ad900x are really nice, and you would definitely be able to keep an ear on things. But they leak sound out a lot as well so I'm not sure that they would work well for the OP.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

The ad900x are really nice, and you would definitely be able to keep an ear on things. But they leak sound out a lot as well so I'm not sure that they would work well for the OP.

I don't think any of the headphones MalVeauX listed would work, they all leak sound like crazy.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 16
I personally think that the grados are the way to go, the only issue is they leak sound but you will be able to be aware of your surroundings. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Think speakers.

He requested open headphones. He needs to hear his environment in case someone falls or calls. I thought it was pretty clear. Hence my recommendations.

Very best,

I understand that, but he also said he need to keep them from hearing the music and last I checked everyone can hear you when you're using headphones like the dt880 or he-300.
I know all open headphones are going to leak sounds, there's no way around that, all I'm saying is some leak more than others.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Reading through the OP, it is slightly confusing at first with respect to
the need for open or closed headphones - but it does sort out
in favor of open ones.

I like the recommendation of the Sony MDR MA 900's.  They are
very lightweight and comfortable with exceptional sound at the price.
Been listening to them a lot; in fact just took them off.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #15 of 16
As long as open head phones at a moderate volume are going to be quieter outside my home office than my m-audio monitors at a low volume we'll be OK.  I just want to listen to music/podcasts at a decent volume, in comfort while being somewhat aware of ambient noise.  Some of the suggestions above look perfect, with the Audio Technica and Sony being the easiest to acquire.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back