Recommendation for Budget Headphones
Dec 2, 2010 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

WiZ83

Head-Fier
Hi, I've been a member of Head-Fi for a while now. I own a SR-60, SR-80. But now, I'm looking to purchase another headphone ... I'm thinking of listening to pop music on my MP3 player (also my BlackBerry phone :p) ... occasionally I'd use it for watching movies at home, especially during night time, since I have a Z-5500 Logitech setup with a projector ... I was looking at the JVC RX900, wanted to buy that for a while for $50+, but it seemed that it's out of stock everywhere ... Can someone recommend me a really good headphone for a good price around $50-$80? Or maybe $100? I need to purchase 2, 1 set for myself, and 1 for my girlfriend, so that I wouldn't be making too much noise at night watching movie ... don't wanna wake my neighbors up ... :) The SR-60 and SR-80 are good cans, but lacks bass for pop music, other than that, I love em' absolutely ... I'm thinking of trying over-the-ear full size circumaural ... Please recommend, need to purchase ASAP ... Thanks ...

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 31
Also, can someone please let me know if there's any site that has RX900 in stock for the $5x~$60 range? What's happened to the JVC's, nowhere seemed to have stock. Amazon used to have RX900 for $53 ... now out of stock ... How about RX700? Under $40? And in stock?

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 31
Yes, my soundcard is a 5.1 sound card, all I need to do is set the rear and front channel to run like 4.1 setup with stereo (2 channel) setup, they'll both sound the same. Or, I could use a splitter (1 male-to-2 females) ...

How's the quality of RX700, compared to RX900 ? Since the RX900's are out of stock everywhere ...

I saw RX900 went for $53, $13 more than RX700 ... is the RX900 a lot better, significantly better that it's worth/makes the $13 upgrade justifiable?

What's the cheapest price RX700 went for? Around $40? Or less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time 

OK, but do you have a way to plug 2 headphones into your computer?

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 31

Quote:

NewEgg.com

JVC HA-RX700 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Circumaural Full-Size Headphone

OUT OF STOCK.

Amazon.com charges tax for KS buyer ... :frowning2:
Anyway ... if they're worth the $40, I'll buy em' ... or should I wait till RX900 gets in stock? Please give me feedback ...

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 31
I own the RX700 and RX900. I can't suggest either from a 5.1 sound card or splitter. They are better with additional amplification and modification, which you probably don't want to do. And since you need to purchase ASAP, I suggest searching Head-Fi for "DHP" and reading a few posts. And then consider buying it from Amazon.com for ~$40 each.

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 31
I went on Amazon and found out I still have $84 worth of gift credit
I went and look for headphones less than $90 ... went with the reviews ... high to low ...

Can someone please provide me with feedbacks on the following?

beyerdynamic DJX1
Koss Pro4AAT
Sony XB700
Audio Technica ATH AD700
AKG Acoustic K240
Sennheiser HD280 / HD555 / HD448 / HD515

They all fall inside my budget ... and looks pretty good in terms of build quality ...

I'm looking for full-size circumaural headphones ... I don't care about size, coz I'll be using it mostly at home, for my computer ... watching movies and listening to music ... I might have to get myself a decent amp ... I still have an old amp my grandpa gave me ...

What I'm thinking is, if I can affort to get 2 under $100, I'll buy 2 ... if not, I'll buy 1, and keep on using my SR60 as a 2nd set ...

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 31
How does the AD700 compare to SR60? SR60 is a very good headphones I'd say, but lacks bass ...
Very good as in, I hear lots of details that my other Bose Triport wouldn't ... but I sometimes enjoy the bass Triport gives me ... :p

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 31
FWIR... that Beyer and Koss are not popular on Head-Fi, and XB700 should be amped. I owned the AD700 - the most bass light full size headphones that I've owned.

There's a used, like new UR55 for sale through Amazon - a steal for $40 shipped. I've been considering it for a while, but don't need it. So you could get it and the DHP-II for ~$80.

Quote:
I went on Amazon and found out I still have $84 worth of gift credit
I went and look for headphones less than $90 ... went with the reviews ... high to low ...

Can someone please provide me with feedbacks on the following?

beyerdynamic DJX1
Koss Pro4AAT
Sony XB700
Audio Technica ATH AD700

They all fall inside my budget ... and looks pretty good in terms of build quality ...

I'm looking for full-size circumaural headphones ... I don't care about size, coz I'll be using it mostly at home, for my computer ... watching movies and listening to music ... I might have to get myself a decent amp ... I still have an old amp my grandpa gave me ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back