Recommend me some phenomenal vocals
Aug 14, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah Youn Sun.

Korean jazz singer. Don't miss this.

If her Heart of Glass (no, not the Blondie song, something entirely different just sharing a title, nothing else) does not bring a tear to your eye, you're made of stone. Assuming your system can handle the highs (violin) without breaking up or adding shrillness. (One of my amps couldn't).

This is great. listened to 30 secs of it on Amazon. Any tips / source on finding CD's of hers?

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #48 of 66
For current soul-type vocalists, my faves are Martin Sexton and John Cowan.

For metal, check out two albums from Therion: Lemuria/Sirius B and Gothic Kabballah. Mats Leven is the most brilliant lead metal singer I've ever heard, and the choir is super.
http://www.myspace.com/therion

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #49 of 66
I always thought Roy Khan from Kamelot had one of the best voices in the metal/rock world. He really puts Kamelot a step higher than your average power metal band. He's good on all songs but really shines on the slower ballad types like these 2 :

Abandoned: YouTube - Kamelot - Abandoned

Don't You Cry: YouTube - Don't you cry - Kamelot

You don't need to be anyway a fan of metal or even rock to enjoy those 2 songs so please don't hesitate if you're worried about not liking someone in that type of band
wink.gif

On a completely different angle i really like Fiona Apples voice, she's one of my favorite female vocalists. Such a smooth relaxing voice and tends to sing songs with great lyrics which always helps. My favorite song by her has always been Never is a Promise.

Never is a Promise: YouTube - Fiona Apple - Never Is A Promise

Another set of singers i really love is Los Lonely Boys, all three of them can sing (as evidenced by them often bursting into 3 part harmony in concert). They also churn some seriously catchy light blues rock tunes, i'd highly recommend checking out any of their 3 albums though their debut is still my favourite, they are a really feel good band perfect for summer. Another note on them is that i don't think the songs they release as singles (generally the one's that will prob be the biggest commercial hit granted) represent their best material.

Los Lonely Boys Diamonds: YouTube - Los Lonely Boys - Diamonds

I also really dig musicals and there's literally hundreds of quality songs with amazing vocals in that department. I've always ranked phantom of the opera among my favorite so any of the songs off that is worth checking out for amazing vocals. I know a lot of people don't like the vocals in the movie but i think Gerald Butler does an amazing job considering he didn't really have any singing experience, but then again i've always favored passion in my vocals over technical prefection
wink.gif
See what you think yourself:

The Phantom of the Opera (Movie Version):
YouTube - Phantom of the Opera

I could literally go on for days about my favorite vocalists that barely scratching the surface and if i had replied an hour ago or an hour later a whole different group of vocalists would prob have sprang to mind
jecklinsmile.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #50 of 66
Maria Callas, Franco Corelli, Giuseppe di Stefano...Pavarotti, Domingo, Carreras, Monserat Caballe, Joan Sutherland...Angela Gheorghiu, Roberto Alagna, Anna Netrebko, Rolando Villazon, Juan Diego Florez...!!!

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #51 of 66
I dunno if they're technically great singers, but others have said, these are singers I can (a) listen to all day and/or (b) convey emotion well.

In no particular order:
Jeff Buckley (again), Sarah McLachlan (again), Eva Cassidy (again), Karen Carpenter, Rufus Wainwright, Ian Gillan (again, cf. Jesus Christ Superstar), Christina Aguilera (just her latest album, really. I was really surprised), Diana Krall (again)

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #52 of 66
Devin Townsend
Garm

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #53 of 66
I'm not sure what kind of music you were going for, but I have a few I think are really great,

Geddy Lee from Rush (Prog Rock)
Joacim Cans from Hammer Fall (Metal/Speed Metal (no screaming)
Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden (Prog Metal (again no screaming)
Anders Friden of In Flames (Death Metal (mixture of vocals, Come Clarity has no screaming)

Sep 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #54 of 66
Multi-octave vocalists King Diamond and Mike Patton.

I recommend the King Diamond album Abigail.

Mike Patton has lots of recordings, Mr. Bungle to Dillinger Escape Plan. I think Mr. Bungle - California is his best work.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #56 of 66
Bob Marley

Sep 3, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #57 of 66
Hungry Lucy.

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #58 of 66
Petra Magoni.

A classically-trained singer who now sings a range of jazz, aria, and pop accompanied by double-bassist Ferruccio Spinetti. Look for album Musica Nuda (literally "Naked Music"), Musica Nuda 2 or the new one (on Blue Note) Musica Nuda 55/21. If you can find the Live In Paris DVD then grab it, it's amazing also.

I've been a fan of these two since seeing them play live in Italy a few years ago. The CDs are great but (like so many other artists) you need to see them live to really appreciate what they're doing.

I'm listening to their latest CD at the moment. Recording quality is superb.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #60 of 66
How this thread has gone six pages with several metal recommendations and had nobody say Daniel Gildenlow is totally beyond me. Most people who are Pain of Salvation fans to any degree will agree he's one of if not the best vocalist in the world right now.

Live performance last year:
YouTube - Pain of Salvation - Undertow (Live in Masstival)

From their live DVD:
YouTube - Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius (Live)

From one of their albums (his voice in the last 1.5 minutes or so is just ridiculous):
YouTube - Pain Of Salvation - This Heart of Mine

EDIT:
Found another of their studio songs on Youtube. This is one of the most touching pieces of music i've ever heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPA-ohVCOoQ

-Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back