Recommend me some phenomenal vocals
Aug 6, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 66
Just a few names that pop into my head when I think of good vocalists.

Aretha Franklin (simply the best female singer, period.)
Mikael Akerfeldt - Opeth
Chris Cornell - Soundgarden, Audioslave
Maynard James Keenan - Tool, A Perfect Circle
Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam
James Hetfield - Metallica
Eric Martin - Mr.Big
Jim Morrisson - The Doors
Ian Gillan - Deep Purple
Seal

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 66
OK Hammill could be a bit indigest if you dont like dispair soul splitting voice...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Then in the jazz catalogue there is always this reference:

Hartman.png

Enjoy!!!

Amicalement

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #20 of 66
Benny More, Cuba's greatest singer ever. Astounding vocals.

See ya
Steve

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #21 of 66
Off the top of my head:

Mary Black - especially her early stuff, imo
Kate Bush
Morten Harket (a-ha. and no, they are not a one hit wonder)
Harriet Wheeler (The Sundays)
Klaus Nomi
Jane Olivor
Bhimsen Joshi (Indian classical, if you're into that genre)
Sandy Denny

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #23 of 66
Damien Rice. His voice is raw human emotion. I don't know if his voice is "good" but he sure as hell makes you feel what he's feeling, and to me that's more important anyhow
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #24 of 66
Hasn't been mentioned - maybe not the right style, but Erykah Badu's voice has always made me melt - especially her live album.

Also Mike Patton can do some very amazing things with his voice. He's been in a TON of bands (Faith no More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas more), plus solo stuff and collaborations. Much of it is very avante garde and not for everyone, but his voice is pretty darn incredible.

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #25 of 66
Aug 9, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #26 of 66
Diana Krall. And don't forget Sarah Vaughn, especially with the Count Basie Orchestra. Then there's Ella Fitzgerald with Louie Armstrong. Oh, and k.d. lang with Tony Bennett.

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #27 of 66
Surprised that no one has mentioned the late mezzo-soprano Lorraine Hunt Lieberson. She's a cut above. The records to get are Bach Cantatas BWV 82 and 199, Neruda Songs and Handel Arias (the Harry Bicket one).

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #28 of 66
Many favorites of mine have already been mentioned, and I'll offer up a few more:

Jennifer Warnes - The Well, Famous Blue Raincoat, The Hunter

Eva Cassidy - Songbird

Julia Migenes - Smile, Alter Ego, Vienna

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #29 of 66
Well, there is always Diana Krall...also Radka Toneff is terrific..tragic death at 30. Her album fairytales is one of the most musical sounding albums (Japaneese label) around. Beautiful balance between expression, vulnurability and emotion - and never overdone (Feelings, whoa, oh oh feelings!)

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #30 of 66
David Crosby

His vocals can have a pureness to them that is unparalleled. Not every track, but certain ones continue to blow my mind every time I hear them.

Check out his first solo album David Crosby - If Only I Could Remember My Name and some of his vocals on the Graham Nash/David Crosby self titled album (Where Will I Be? and Page 43 for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back