recommend me a $100 headphone
Jan 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

matryx

100+ Head-Fier
I have 5.1 home theatre system but I need something more quiet for when I watch movies and play games at night.
I'm looking for a headphone that's around $100. It's going to be use for my PS3 and Patriot Box. These will be for home use only so it doesn't matter if it's close or open whichever sounds better.

Also I'm from Canada so my choices are kind of limited.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 31
I'm also going to need a mic for the headphone so if any links to a guide for a mic mod? I know I found it somewhere before.

Also I've been hearing a lot about DACs and amps. It would be helpful if someone can provide me a link that explain what it does and how it helps with making the sound better.

I've also been looking at the ATH-M50. Are these good for home theater and gaming? Is it possible to get a good headphone that is gear for both gaming and home theater?

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 31

Quote:

I've also been looking at the ATH-M50. Are these good for home theater and gaming? Is it possible to get a good headphone that is gear for both gaming and home theater?

The M50's soundstage is not enough for gaming/movies, another good choice is the AD700's. 
You can add a clip-on mic. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
Quote:

The M50's soundstage is not enough for gaming/movies, another good choice is the AD700's. 
You can add a clip-on mic. 

I was going to recommend the AD700's. They have an impressive soundstage, but the bass is lacking.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 31
I watch a lot of action pack Blu-rays. Is the AD700's good for that if it's lacking bass? I heard the M50s are bass monsters. I'm willing spend another $20-$50 for a portable amp. The FiiO 5 amp is around $20. Would that be a good combo?

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 31
AD700 - and i'll say it 10x more if it helps :)

The AD700, with lossless music and in my case, with a simple CMOY - you'll be surprised by the soundstaging, positioning, detail. It's very impressive at it's price. Comparing them to my HD600 - they are almost every bit as detailed, just not as pleasant overall as the HD600 - but hey, totally different price brackets. I never plan to sell my AD700, just because I was always so impressed with them for their price.

In first person shooters like Black Ops you'll be amazed at how much critically listening with AD700s will help you predict incoming targets. With music also, just great. Funny, but you have to listen to some Dave Matthews if you get the AD700 - I don't even like him that much, but once you appreciate the qualities of the AD700, you'll appreciate how masterfully his later albums are recorded and arranged. Just excellent.

EDIT: Also, regarding bass on the AD700 - it lacks PUNCH, but it doesn't actually LACK BASS. It will go low and fairly present very low notes - you just don't FEEL them like a closed can or some high end open cans, but as far as overall sound presenation, you do hear them and they sound like they should.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 31
The bass is a bit light on the AD700's, but I still prefer them for all my TV and movies.
I never really understood anyone who thinks that they need excess bass for movies... but to each their own.

Also, IMHO, the FiiO E5 is a waste of time.
It isn't a very good amp, and neither the AD700 or m50 really benefit from an amp.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
It isn't a very good amp, and neither the AD700 or m50 really benefit from an amp.

Agreed on the Fiio, but I do think the AD700 sounds a LITTLE better amped. The M50.. not so much. Then again, the M50 wasn't anything special to me. I sold it so someone who could enjoy it more would get it.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 31
Yeah, I think people say they don't benefit from an amp because it is a small difference. For example, I don't bother listening to Dt770 250ohm or HD600s without an amp. Whereas, with the AD700 or M50, I would still listen to them unamped, but if I had the choice I'd still use the amp.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
They do. 

I have paired both with different amps, and i can hear the difference. (not much though)

It's more likely you're just hearing the flavor of the amp.

I didn't say there wouldn't be an difference...
(ie. Bassy amp + AD700 -> Bassy AD700 == better?)

But is the difference necessarily better in a absolute sense of the word?
Not in my experience.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 31
 Are there any headphones that have good bass you can feel? I want that punch. I want something similar to the feeling of my 5.1 home theater system. I might be asking too much for the price I'm looking at so please educate me :)
If need be I can up the budget to $150-$200 max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back