Recommend headphones for metal
Apr 3, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #16 of 38
Wait, you're accusing people of being snobby because they want to save money and get the best headphones they can at the best price?

Most major brands of headphones are sturdy, reliable and solid.  Buying used is a great way to maximize your hobby budget.

The money doesn't know what it's being used on.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #17 of 38

Quote:
Wait, you're accusing people of being snobby because they want to save money and get the best headphones they can at the best price?

Most major brands of headphones are sturdy, reliable and solid.  Buying used is a great way to maximize your hobby budget.

OP wanted to not spend more then 100 USD and baka suggested headphones cost $165 and $120.  If you can't see what is wrong with that then I have nothing else to say.  Duh.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 38
Fischer audio Fa-004 
wink_face.gif

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #19 of 38

Quote:

Oh and actually saving money is by buying a 33 euro/£29/$46 dollars Superlux 662F with a three years warranty and 30 days return policy from Thomann.de instead of a used second hand 840/M50.

But yeah, I get the Superlux 662F is obviously not good enuff for the OP because the 840/M50 is soooo soooo much better that it is even worth double the price used.  Just like all the posts that suggest to spend 'a little more' for a much much better headphone.  
wink.gif
  Isn't that always the case.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #20 of 38
The headphones I mentioned can be had for a $105 in one case and under $100 in another. Preowned. Acceptable to many people who buy equpiment. Just look on the Sales Forum here and on places like AudiogoN. You'll see it's an active practice. Not a rarity.

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #22 of 38
What does it matter if someone chooses to purchase previously owned or brand new ? at the end of the day it's a personal decision and it's the product purchased that counts. It's just some prefer to save money by purchasing second hand whereas others prefer to spend a bit more money for the exact same product but knowing that it's new and they get peace of mind knowing it has a warranty and perhaps a return policy - there's nothing wrong with either method. To be honest a lot of people spend way too much time obsessing about what other people say and do or have as if it's somehow stealing their thunder or something when they should be focused on their own. 

If you want the perks of buying second hand, no worries. If you want the perks of buying new, no worries. It' all good! :) 

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #23 of 38

Quote:
The headphones I mentioned can be had for a $105 in one case and under $100 in another. Preowned. Acceptable to many people who buy equpiment. Just look on the Sales Forum here and on places like AudiogoN. You'll see it's an active practice. Not a rarity.

No need to go over the same ground again.

Quote:
Metal would be bad with superlux. The Treb/high are too harsh on the superlux

If you look at the 662B frequency response

http://www.superlux.com.tw/upload/function.product.info/17f81435-74a5-48b2-af35-202a1d1730b2/resource/ca_headphone_series_web_tw_en.pdf

It has similar frequency response to the 840.  
eek.gif

powerful bass punch
“In hall” sound feel
Both HD662B and SRH840 have 
a similar curve. HD662B delivers 
precisely tailored frequency response 
with powerful bass punch, clear midrange and extended highs.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #26 of 38
You might like to get your stuff second hand, but most people don't.  When people set a budget of x amount, it doesn't usually mean how much they want to shell out for a second pair of headphones on FS/ebay/charity shops but how much new... like with warranty and not damage with all bits and bob and some kind of return policy.

If you really want to suggest second hand, then state it as second hand.  I think it is all bit too snobby tho as if their budget is too low so they can only afford second hand headphones.  Why can you not recommend headphones within budget brand new?  eh? eh?

No he recommended 2 very good options to the OP. The OP stated his budget...never mentioned new vs. used. Just your personal thoughts here.

BTW...my two recommendations based on the noise isolation:

used AT M50
used SRH-840

:D

You could buy new headphones, but you would be getting lesser gear and losing out on the re-sale value. The great thing with used gear (bought and sold quite a bit of it personally) is that you get better quality for less money and you don't take a bath on the re-sale.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #27 of 38

Quote:
Quote:
You might like to get your stuff second hand, but most people don't.  When people set a budget of x amount, it doesn't usually mean how much they want to shell out for a second pair of headphones on FS/ebay/charity shops but how much new... like with warranty and not damage with all bits and bob and some kind of return policy.

If you really want to suggest second hand, then state it as second hand.  I think it is all bit too snobby tho as if their budget is too low so they can only afford second hand headphones.  Why can you not recommend headphones within budget brand new?  eh? eh?

No he recommended 2 very good options to the OP. The OP stated his budget...never mentioned new vs. used. Just your personal thoughts here.

BTW...my two recommendations based on the noise isolation:

used AT M50
used SRH-840

biggrin.gif

You could buy new headphones, but you would be getting lesser gear and losing out on the re-sale value. The great thing with used gear (bought and sold quite a bit of it personally) is that you get better quality for less money and you don't take a bath on the re-sale.

Neah, those options were crap.  Most people when they recommend a budget is for new and not for used and don't need to state that they are looking for new.  
rolleyes.gif

You could buy used headphones but they might break on the first day get them and you would lose out on everything spent.  The great thing with new gear (with warranty and return policy) is that you get definitive quality of your goods with recourse if the standard is not to your expectation so that you don't get to lose all your money or can't return it if it doesn't suit you.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #28 of 38

Neah, those options were crap.  Most people when they recommend a budget is for new and not for used and don't need to state that they are looking for new.  
rolleyes.gif

You could buy used headphones but they might break on the first day get them and you would lose out on everything spent.  The great thing with new gear (with warranty and return policy) is that you get definitive quality of your goods with recourse if the standard is not to your expectation so that you don't get to lose all your money or can't return it if it doesn't suit you.

Why do you insist on responding on the OP's behalf? My points stand. :rolleyes:

Have you heard of "early life failures" or "infant mortality failures" in electronics? Basically MOST failures occur in the first few hours of use....then they stabilize and last for literally years. I have a lot of experience with used audio gear and have never had an issue. Not to mention, there are literally thousands and thousands of Head-fiers who would disagree with you (not to mention those on audiogon.com or canuckaudiomart.ca....or maybe even ebay. :p)

Or maybe the members on this thread might have a thing or two to say:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:Originally Posted by tyoung8 

"Neah, those options were crap.  Most people when they recommend a budget is for new and not for used and don't need to state that they are looking for new.  
You could buy used headphones but they might break on the first day get them and you would lose out on everything spent.  The great thing with new gear (with warranty and return policy) is that you get definitive quality of your goods with recourse if the standard is not to your expectation so that you don't get to lose all your money or can't return it if it doesn't suit you."

Don't embarrass yourself further. I can prove that literally thousands of flawless transactions of preowned equpiment happen monthly of high end equpiment. There are, just between Head-Fi and AudiogoN, on average, about 450 listings DAILY of used audio equpiment that range from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars. I suggest you drop it. You're wrong.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #30 of 38
Haha, I understand the benefits of purchasing used (value, burnt-in, etc).

But I'd would prefer not to, as I like the experience of unboxing the item.

I've read that the M50 while extremely good, has powerful bass... and I'm guessing it can overpower my music, what I originally wanted was something similar to the SR60i, that works well with rhythm guitar without too much bass. I've still gotta do some research on Superlux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back