Recommend headphones for metal
Apr 2, 2011 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

New Head-Fier
Hi, the metal bands I listen to are Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Destruction, Megadeth, Judas Priest, etc

I like the buzzsaw guitar tone that bands above use and I don't really care for bassy headphones.

Headphones specifications:

Not looking to spend more than 100USD
Over ear headphones (also, I have big ears xD)
Prefer closed style, as I don't want to disturb my room mates
Brands I like are: Sony, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, etc
I'd prefer headphones that doesn't require an amp to drive

Feel free to ask any more questions and thanks for your help

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 38
I think the general consensus around here is that Grados work well for metal. I personally just love them but I know some people just cannot stand them due to their bright sound signature.

Esp. Grado SR60i should fit your budget well considering you are located at the US. They are way more expensive elsewhere. :)

Unfortunately they are open design and therefore leak sound. Grados tend to be a bit light on bass too. You could say it's tight and accurate but not boomy. Lower end models in particular are pretty weak in this IMO. They are really moddable, though, and work without amp well.

I don't know so much about other brands. If possible, try and listen a few pairs before picking up one. This will help you more than random tips from random people on some forum. :)

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:Originally Posted by tyoung8 

Quote:
"Not going to get either for under $100.
For anything under $100, I will say try Superlux range.  662 and 669 are close headphones.  You'll probably want the 662F.
662Fhttp://www.audiohipster.com/AudioHipster/Superlux_Headphones.html"

There's a Shure 840 on the Sales Forum for $105 and the M50 are not too tough to find for under $100. I did. Others have. So again:

Shure 840 or AT M50

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 38

[size=medium]
Neah OP, don't listen to him.  If you want under $100, then get under $100.  There will always be some people that suggest to spend a little bit more for x, y, z, headphone not matter what budget you set.

[/size]

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 38
If you want great clarity, and punchy bass that isn't overwhelming, you could do a lot worse than the Equation RP-21.

I've been using them a lot lately, and they have pretty much everything you're looking for, and they genuinely are available within your price range.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 38

"Neah OP, don't listen to him.  If you want under $100, then get under $100.  There will always be some people that suggest to spend a little bit more for x, y, z, headphone not matter what budget you set."

Since the M50 CAN be had for under $100 and since the one 840 is $105 I'm right on target. Ignore tyoung8. The M50 and 840 are great cans for the money.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 38

Quote:

"Neah OP, don't listen to him.  If you want under $100, then get under $100.  There will always be some people that suggest to spend a little bit more for x, y, z, headphone not matter what budget you set."

Since the M50 CAN be had for under $100 and since the one 840 is $105 I'm right on target. Ignore tyoung8. The M50 and 840 are great cans for the money.

oh where can you buy M50 for under $100?

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 38

"oh where can you buy M50 for under $100?"

Head-Fi Sales Forum. It's where I bought and sold mine. I've seen them many times under $100. As for the 840, $105 isn't exactly out of bounds. If the extra $5 is that back breaking eat ramen noodles for two meals and it's made up for.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 38

Quote:

"oh where can you buy M50 for under $100?"

Head-Fi Sales Forum. It's where I bought and sold mine. I've seen them many times under $100. As for the 840, $105 isn't exactly out of bounds. If the extra $5 is that back breaking eat ramen noodles for two meals and it's made up for.

ah second hand.  I don't think when people set a budget for a headphone to buy, they are setting a budget to buy a pair of second hand headphones.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #14 of 38

"ah second hand.  I don't think when people set a budget for a headphone to buy, they are setting a budget to buy a pair of second hand headphones."

Numerous people on Head-Fi buy preowned. Most of them take excellent care of their equpiment. Many with few hours on them and in like new condition. It's a great way to pick up a high quality headphone, amp or source for less money. I've done it countless times. Just look at the Sales Forums and read through all the feedback. It's standard practice among hobbyists.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 38

Quote:

"ah second hand.  I don't think when people set a budget for a headphone to buy, they are setting a budget to buy a pair of second hand headphones."

Numerous people on Head-Fi buy preowned. Most of them take excellent care of their equpiment. Many with few hours on them and in like new condition. It's a great way to pick up a high quality headphone, amp or source for less money. I've done it countless times. Just look at the Sales Forums and read through all the feedback. It's standard practice among hobbyists.

You might like to get your stuff second hand, but most people don't.  When people set a budget of x amount, it doesn't usually mean how much they want to shell out for a second pair of headphones on FS/ebay/charity shops but how much new... like with warranty and not damage with all bits and bob and some kind of return policy.

If you really want to suggest second hand, then state it as second hand.  I think it is all bit too snobby tho as if their budget is too low so they can only afford second hand headphones.  Why can you not recommend headphones within budget brand new?  eh? eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back