Recommend a Sennheiser, HD580/HD600/HD650
Feb 5, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #31 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
rolleyes.gif
Right ho.

Ian

Why not just say "I disagree with you" or something like that instead of being sarcastic? I assume you've owned both for significant periods of time to make a proper judgment BTW.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #32 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Why not just say "I disagree with you" or something like that instead of being sarcastic?

Because you stated that the square below is red. If you're trying to be smart then tough titty.

Luv

Ian

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #33 of 104
Quote:

Because you stated that the square below is red.

You'd best go back and read what I said. My point was that the square is not red, and the DT880s are not bright.

Discussing with you is an utter waste of time, if you didn't even pick up on the point I was trying to make above. Very simple stuff. Think I'll bow out here, I'd be better off blowing soap bubbles or talking to the wall.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #34 of 104
Quote:

Discussing with you is an utter waste of time, if you didn't even pick up on the point I was trying to make above. Very simple stuff. Think I'll bow out here, I'd be better off blowing soap bubbles or talking to the wall.

Good. I'm tired of your fixation on one set of headphones in any case. It's two in the morning. Good night. Have a good blow. xxxx

You also edited your point after I answered!

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #35 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Sounds like you were at J&R!
eek.gif

To compliment your DT880's, the K701's will do just fine, so I think you should just wait for them!
tongue.gif

You're damn right I was! Of course, even if they were properly amped with DECENT music running through them from a good source, the Bose Lifestyle Systems that seem to spawn in that store would have drowned them out. Ugh!

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #36 of 104
I gave the DT880s a very favorable review. With help, I figured out where the treble brightness was, why it occurs, asked a friend to take measurements to confirm it, and found out about two ways to moderate it (EQ or physically damping the resonance at 9 khz). I've put all my other headphones away and am only listening to the DT880s now. They are my best headphones.

FWIW, if I had to choose beteen just the Beyer DT880s, the Senn HD580s, the Senn HD600s, or the Senn HD650s, I'd take the Beyers. But if someone else would prefers the Senns, I would understand, and not only that, I would understand why. I would be interested in givin the HD595s an extended trial though, to see if maybe they thread the needle, as far as my preferences are concerned. I've heard them a few times before and they certainly measure extremely well.

Roughly speaking, on balance, I think the Beyer DT880s are about an average of 5 db up in the treble and the Senns are about 5 db down in the treble. Pretty simple. Different people will hear it differently because of their ear shapes and their preferences and past experiences. The fine points of headphone sonics are extremely complicated.

I think the DT880s are moderately bright in the treble, while some others think they are slightly bright. There's really not much to argue about, as I see it. It's easily chalked up to a difference in prefences and anatomy. The treble brightness is obvious to nearly everyone who owns them; past that, in terms of just using English, it's really just preferences, semantics and people wearing their hearts on their sleeve, IMHO.

The sound of the Beyer DT880s can be made near-perfect to suit my preferences with EQ because they are so good to start with. Without EQ, my honest judgment is that they are moderately bright in the treble, but not harsh, because the brightness occurrs mostly in the mid-treble rather than the low treble or upper mids. The bass and mids are as near to perfect as I have ever heard.

I would be extremely interested to know from Beyer what the theory is behind allowing the 9 khz resonance to occur when it can be easily damped. The folks at Beyer, I would have to think, feel that it is a positive thing. It's in a few of their higher-priced headphones and so I have to think it's intentional, just as Senn's moderately subdued highs are intentional. For my personal preferences, both Senn and Beyer go just a little too far, but in opposite directions.

So, to get the thread back on topic, to the original poster, as I said earlier, if it were me in your shoes, I'd give the Senn HD595s a shot, for the reasons set forth above. IIRC, you already have the DT880s. I couldn't imagine an nicer set of two headphones to have at your fingertips. If I had it to do over again, I would just have a pair of the DT880s and the pair of HD595s. Neither was around when I first discovered head-fi. They've both really pushed forward the state of the art in headphones, in my view.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fewtch... very disappointing.

Quote:

The DT880s were designed for well-recorded music that isn't mastered too bright or treble-emphasized. Play that and you'll have no problems (IMO).

Edit -- certain people like Steve999 (?) are really giving the DT880s a bad reputation with all the talk about treble spikes and such. For what it's worth, the DT880s are quite a bit smoother/less bright than Grados, and I think people are starting to get the wrong idea about this headphone. Thanks a lot Steve...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #37 of 104
Quote:

DT880s are bright like the color of the square below is red:

Funny, on my crappy lcd display the square has a slightly red tint to it (or at least pinkish..). Perhaps I should give a listen to DT880s.
eggosmile.gif

Regards,

L.

Feb 5, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #38 of 104
! have the 600s and think their really great phones.But all of the talk about how good the 650s are makeing me think about getting a pair.
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #39 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz
! have the 600s and think their really great phones.But all of the talk about how good the 650s are makeing me think about getting a pair.
biggrin.gif

I would if I were you....my 600 has now retired to the computer phone status..
very_evil_smiley.gif
.....I guess its not that bad.....atleast I am still using it listen to music.....LOL...I might use it once in a while for movie/games....
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #40 of 104
I wonder how the sound of the Senn 650 is altered if the 'bass hump' is dehumped? Since it seems a useful idea to take out a spike on the 880's, the Senns may reveal a totally different character maybe if this was done to them. I don't have an equaliser to do this but wouldn't mind trying. Has anyone tried this?

Ian

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #41 of 104
Quote:

I wonder how the sound of the Senn 650 is altered if the 'bass hump' is dehumped? Since it seems a useful idea to take out a spike on the 880's, the Senns may reveal a totally different character maybe if this was done to them. I don't have an equaliser to do this but wouldn't mind trying. Has anyone tried this?

Ian

From a post some time ago from gerG, the G-O-D of head-fi EQ and head-fi discoverer of the DEQ2496:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...496#post647423

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Hi tmesis.

Measures is a good choice of words, because it starts with a microphone in my ear. I have been using the RTA on the DEQ2496 to figure out the basic response correction, then I tweak it some more by ear. In the case of the HD650, they have a broad bump from 60 to 90 hz that I flatten out. They also fall of the cliff below 40, so I bring that up level all the way to 25, and let it drop a bit at 20 (still it takes 10db of gain just to get close). The mids I don't touch. The treble has a mild peak at 5 khz, so I take that out. I also pull the response up above 10khz. The transformation is amazing, with nearly perfect bass response, incredibly smooth mids, and treble that is detailed, lifelike, and neither distant nor bright. In other words, sweeeet!

gerG

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #42 of 104
Quote:

It looks like he picked up on your point perfectly. It seems like you just got a little confused when he turned it around back at you. Either way, all of this is a matter of personal preference and opinion. Even "bright" doesn't have to be a bad thing - some like it that way. Exactly like the square example - it's one person's perception against another's, and that's hardly a solid basis for factual evidence.

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #43 of 104
From a post some time ago from gerG, the G-O-D of head-fi EQ and head-fi discoverer of the DEQ2496:

Thanks for that. Now the question really is, 880 flattened out with the 650 flattened out. Goes on forever, doesn't it?

Ian

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #44 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by johan851
It looks like he picked up on your point perfectly. It seems like you just got a little confused when he turned it around back at you. Either way, all of this is a matter of personal preference and opinion. Even "bright" doesn't have to be a bad thing - some like it that way. Exactly like the square example - it's one person's perception against another's, and that's hardly a solid basis for factual evidence.

Last week, he told me that something I said was as obvious as the sky is blue.
rolleyes.gif
He followed it up by telling me that I should try Portapros for bass.

I don't think that the guy realises how he comes across sometimes in how he presents an argument which is what upsets me really. Hence the short reply. I try not to talk down to people and keep it friendly until someone talks down to me!!

I really do understand what he's getting at and I am not trying to run the Beyers down. I have a pair myself along with the Senn 650's so I do realise that it is a matter of taste and I don't need to be refered to red boxes and blue skies.

Ian

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #45 of 104
I've gone ahead and switched from the DT 880 to an HD650. I'm really interested to see how the HD650 will develop as it burns in. After a while, I found that I didn't have a place of "solace" after listening to my Grados. The 880 was still too pushy with my amp setup, but I really enjoy the amp with my Grados. Swapped the DT880 out.

Some of the stuff in this thread is absolutely irrational argument over personal preference. I promise you, a few unfavorable reviews of the DT 880 are NOT going to put Beyerdynamic out of business, nor is Beyerdynamic a club that will suddenly lose its entire membership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back