Recommend a Sennheiser, HD580/HD600/HD650
Feb 10, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #77 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
You think so, huh? Personally, I strive for neutrality, accuracy and naturalness. Why? Because that's what live music sounds like.

I heartily disagree with your point here.

I believe that the sole point of music listening is emotion (the essence of music, the most emotional of art forms). The "resemblance" thing is crucially subjective to the extent to which it is linked to emotion; for the rest, it's mere abstraction. As such it's not simply a less crucial issue than audiophiles commonly make it to appear, but in fact devoid of any pretended objective significance.

Listening to music establishes a spiritual unison between the artist and the listener by means of sound, and such formal-cerebral preoccupations are ultimately just an intruder taking from the virtue and value of the time you spend listening to music.

Feb 10, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #78 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I heartily disagree with your point here.

I believe that the sole point of music listening is emotion (the essence of music, the most emotional of art forms).

Why even bother with the high end gear then? Doesn't the "emotion" come from the music itself, not the sound quality of the reproduced recording?

I (partially) agree with you, and furthermore feel that high end is nearly pointless in the context of seeking emotion from music. Can't count the number of times I've sat in front of my TV set watching VH-1 classic in mono over a pair of 2" TV speakers and enjoying every minute of it.

Quote:

Listening to music establishes a spiritual unison between the artist and the listener by means of sound, and such formal-cerebral preoccupations are ultimately just an intruder taking from the virtue and value of the time you spend listening to music.

Believe me, there's absolutely nothing "cerebral" about an experience where you suddenly feel you're actually there, listening to live music.

Some day, what was once "formal" and "cerebral" may become real to you. Believe me, if it does your audio goals will be changed forever, as well as becoming a hell of a lot more focused. Just a glimpse can be enough...

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #79 of 104
The emotional enjoyment of music is heightened by accurate representation of the original sounds.

I do remember listening to old mono transitor radio and enjoying it and it was the beginning of my love for music. Good headphones are bringing that feeling back
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #80 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio
The emotional enjoyment of music is heightened by accurate representation of the original sounds.

I do remember listening to old mono transitor radio and enjoying it and it was the beginning of my love for music. Good headphones are bringing that feeling back
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not so sure about 'emotional' being always 'accurate' actually. I listen to quite a lot of rock stuff on AKG 240s just for the grunt which conveys more emotion imo. (Not at all accurate though)

The 650/880 thing is difficult because they are both surprising. I have listened to stuff on 880's and suddenly, out of the blue, a REALLY low grunt comes out of them, so the bass IS there. That top end clarity is also wonderful on many types of music.

The 650 does keep that 'grunt' there though. (Like the 240s) so the bass characteristics are taking over and I feel that in rock stuff, that extra grunt is useful. The Senns have a lot more detail than 240's though.

It's going to have to be the AKG 701's then! UK market for AKG is appalling. No-one stocks them. (Except 240s) I have a feeling that I'll creep back to the 880's from the 701's though.

The 650 makes me want more treble, the 880's more bass (although it IS there (and very low too)) and the AKG makes me want more detail. Hell.

Ian

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #82 of 104
Congratulations. Lots of time to burn in. It will be interesting what you think, since I noticed in your headphone inventory, you have the 580 fairly low on your list of favourites.

I've been switching 880/650 and really can't choose .... firing up vinyl though sweetens the 880's and the Senns become FAT.

I was also interested in the 501 which you put just below 880's. You're pushing me to the 701's!!
tongue.gif

Ian

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #83 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
HD650 just arrived... out of box... I like what I hear
smily_headphones1.gif

Big improvement over my previous HD580

Oh man. Listen to them, then wait 24 hours of burn in. I was totally shocked how much they had changed, after each day!

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #84 of 104
Get K701s!
biggrin.gif
Do it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

To me, there's no comparison, HD650 has bass as tight as DT880, just more of it, but not so much it gets in the way of the music. HD650 has much more body in the mids and feel more involving than DT880. Treble is up to preference, I don't really care as long it is not fatiguing, which both aren't.

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #85 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Oh man. Listen to them, then wait 24 hours of burn in. I was totally shocked how much they had changed, after each day!

Can it get any better than this? I can't wait!
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #86 of 104
Greetings:

From reading everyone's comments, I can tell that "Burn in" somehow means that the sound of headphones improve over time, is that a phenomenon related to the headphones themselves or the person getting used to them? If it's the headphones, what's happening to them during that phase? Just wondering, I have a pair of Senn HD 280s and am waiting for arrival of a new pair of 650s currently. I seem to have a discerning ear and want the higher end sound but I don't know all the terms or science behind it all. Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.

Feb 16, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #87 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
To me, there's no comparison, HD650 has bass as tight as DT880, just more of it, but not so much it gets in the way of the music. HD650 has much more body in the mids and feel more involving than DT880. Treble is up to preference, I don't really care as long it is not fatiguing, which both aren't.

This is very much what I felt between the hd580 and dt880. I'm listening to the hd580 right now and the headstage I feel is wayyy bigger than on the dt880. Maybe this is more depth wise though but I find instrument seperation increases because of this. I found the dt880 were sort of analytical and the hd580's more fun sounding. Overall I like the hd580 more and at this price, they are a killer can.

The dt880 do have the bass yet it's not as "visceral" as the hd580. I can hear the bass out of the dt880 though and at times I may even feel it a little "overpowering" if that is possible.

The hd580 sound great unamped but amping them with the Gilmore Lite just improves them that much more. The treble is slightly recessed though, which doesn't totally bother me, but I guess this is the somewhat "veiled" sound people talk about.

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #88 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder187
This is very much what I felt between the hd580 and dt880. I'm listening to the hd580 right now and the headstage I feel is wayyy bigger than on the dt880. Maybe this is more depth wise though but I find instrument seperation increases because of this.

Goes to show how differently people hear -- I get the *exact* opposite. After listening regularly to DT880s, putting on the HD580 was like squeezing my ears into a narrow tube, literally. Tiny, narrow soundstage to my ears compared to the DT880. They do have a bit more depth-wise though.

Quote:

I found the dt880 were sort of analytical and the hd580's more fun sounding.

I found the DT880 to be fun sounding + slightly analytical, and the HD580s boring (after getting used to the DT880 signature).

Quote:

The dt880 do have the bass yet it's not as "visceral" as the hd580.

That much I agree with. Usually this is due to boosted midbass though, and I doubt the HD580 is any exception. DT880 is more accurate IMO.

Where the DT880 really kills HD580 (to my ears) is sheer realism with live unamped music. Absolutely no contest, HD580 sounds pleasantly false and DT880 sounds real.

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #89 of 104
I greatly prefer the mobius to the stock cable.

Having read descriptions of too much bass and not enough treble, some of you may want to consider a mobius cable for your cans. The bass is tighter and the treble more prevalent--it's a very significant difference. Even my fiance can hear the difference between cables from bed, blasting the music from my cans while they're resting on my desk.

Just putting in 2 cents, I've never heard the beyers.

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #90 of 104
Am I the only one that finds the Dt880s' highs very annoying and too much sibilant? sibilance depends on the recordings, but sometimes it is unbeareable, while with other cans/speakers it's much more pleasant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back