Recommend a Sennheiser, HD580/HD600/HD650
Feb 16, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #91 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh
Am I the only one that finds the Dt880s' highs very annoying and too much sibilant? sibilance depends on the recordings, but sometimes it is unbeareable, while with other cans/speakers it's much more pleasant

You're certainly not the only one to find that very annoying. That's also the reason why I have very mixed feelings about the Beyers - sure, the detail is incredible, but the presentation of my HD580s is so much more even, coherent and relaxed.
The Beyer's highs are the strangest thing - with some songs they sound almost piercingly sharp + sibilant while with other songs they even seem to lack at the higher end.
If you ask me, that nasty lower treble spike at around 5-6kHz is the reason for this behavior, and equalizing it a bit down is certainly not a bad idea.

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #92 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon
You're certainly not the only one to find that very annoying. That's also the reason why I have very mixed feelings about the Beyers - sure, the detail is incredible, but the presentation of my HD580s is so much more even, coherent and relaxed.
The Beyer's highs are the strangest thing - with some songs they sound almost piercingly sharp + sibilant while with other songs they even seem to lack at the higher end.
If you ask me, that nasty lower treble spike at around 5-6kHz is the reason for this behavior, and equalizing it a bit down is certainly not a bad idea.

Using a sweeptest I hear the spike at 8/9khz ando not 5/6...are you sure it's at 5/6?
however the feelings about beyers is the same as yours, they have really great, spatial,airy,detailed sound...but those damn highs are too much for me. they are ok only with a very small number of records.
I tried some equalizing, but nothing professional (i used the windows medai player equalizer
biggrin.gif
), it tamed the highs a bit but tok away some of the air from the instruments, and sibilance was still present and harsh

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #93 of 104
Quote:

Using a sweeptest I hear the spike at 8/9khz ando not 5/6...are you sure it's at 5/6?

Nope, I'm relying on headroom's frequency graphs for that number. My ears only tell me that the spike is somewhere in the lower treble.

Quote:

however the feelings about beyers is the same as yours, they have really great, spatial,airy,detailed sound...but those damn highs are too much for me. they are ok only with a very small number of records.
I tried some equalizing, but nothing professional (i used the windows medai player equalizer
biggrin.gif
), it tamed the highs a bit but tok away some of the air from the instruments, and sibilance was still present and harsh

How "young" are Beyers? The highs got much smoother over the first days with mine and the number of songs where it shines increases steadily.
I have some hope that in a few days, the new DT990 might finally be my cup of tea.

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #94 of 104
Quote:

Nope, I'm relying on headroom's frequency sweeps for that number. My ears only tell me that the spike is somewhere in the lower treble.

How "young" are yours? The highs got much smoother over the first days with that phone and the number of songs where it shines increased steadily. I have some hope that in a few days, the new DT990 might finally be my cup of tea.

8 days with about 120 hours, i hope they change or i'll sell them for sure

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #95 of 104
Quote:

8 days with about 120 hours, i hope they change or i'll sell them for sure

Hm. That's about the same as my DT990 "2006", so I have no news for you.

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #97 of 104
Quote:

then can i hope for a change?

Considering how much mine have changed over the last days (to the better), I vote "yes".

I just know that fewtch is going to kill us for openly criticising the Beyers ...
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #98 of 104
Quote:

Considering how much mine have changed over the last days (to the better), I vote "yes".

I just know that fewtch is going to kill us for criticising the Beyers openly ...
icon10.gif

i hope so
biggrin.gif

well, let's make fewtch mad then.....beyers sux
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #99 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbbutnotdeaf
Greetings:

From reading everyone's comments, I can tell that "Burn in" somehow means that the sound of headphones improve over time, is that a phenomenon related to the headphones themselves or the person getting used to them? If it's the headphones, what's happening to them during that phase? Just wondering, I have a pair of Senn HD 280s and am waiting for arrival of a new pair of 650s currently. I seem to have a discerning ear and want the higher end sound but I don't know all the terms or science behind it all. Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.

Zanth has a great "Burn in" sticky at the top of the forum. Check it out.

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #100 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
Get K701s!
biggrin.gif
Do it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

To me, there's no comparison, HD650 has bass as tight as DT880, just more of it, but not so much it gets in the way of the music. HD650 has much more body in the mids and feel more involving than DT880. Treble is up to preference, I don't really care as long it is not fatiguing, which both aren't.

I felt EXACTLY the same way coming from the DT880.

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #101 of 104
Quote:

I just know that fewtch is going to kill us for openly criticising the Beyers ...
icon10.gif

Naah... it's well known that Senn HD6x0 owners prefer their treble muffled.

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #102 of 104
Quote:

There's a mini spike at 4-5khz, and a very sharp spike at 8-10khz. All beyers seem to have this sharp peak, wonder what the point of it is...

Feb 18, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #103 of 104
The Intial comparison:

I received my Sennheiser HD650s yesterday and tried them out immediately. Both Headphones sound very different. The sound with the HD650 has more weight to it in the mids and the bass is more punchy, but the low end around 20-35hz seems to have less than the DT880s. The treble from the HD650 sounds more relaxed where the DT880 treble calls for more attention. Two very different kinds of sounds. The HD650s sound alot like my loudspeakers at a fraction of the cost, and of course the postion of the sound will be slightly different with loudspeakers. Read a review of the NHT T6 Class A loudspeakers at Sterephile for reference. The NHT speakers took some time for me to adjust to, because before them I had brighter speakers. They have a more relaxed sound in the treble (like the HD650) and after a while I started to notice that this relaxed speaker had more detail and sound. The reason why I bring this up is because it took me some time to hear the difference with the relaxed sound compared to brighter speakers I have/had, and when I did get used to them I could easily hear how bright speakers try to catch your attention (good way to grab someones attention on the salesfloor I guess). Anyways, I can't say at this point if I hear more sound with the HD650s compared to the DT880s. What I can say though is that the HD650 is more smooth and relaxed sounding, and are not fatiguing so I can listen to them for long sessions. DT880 treble has good uses on some recordings that are forceful in the vocals.

Music Types:
I put in a CD with Opera music. I noticed on a track I often listen to there was slightly more detail with the HD650s on a certain sound, but the vocals overall sounded better with the DT880s. Popped in some electronica , much better sounding to me with the HD650, the extra weight in the mids made for a more enjoyable listen. Popped in some rock, the HD650s were better than the DT880s, but were still not all that. I will do more listening later and see how things go with classical, pop, and other styles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back