Recommend a Sennheiser, HD580/HD600/HD650
Feb 5, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #16 of 104
I don't know..I am only 100 hrs into 650 and already I can tell HD650 is better of the 2 and I do mean a lot better actually. I can't believe I hold out on 650 for so long thinking 600 and 650 are similar....they sure are not.

Feb 5, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #17 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill99hawk
I recently got a set of DT880s. So I had to get a headphone amp of course. The DT880s are very neutral in the mids and lows, with bright yet smooth highs. I like the clear sound, but other than vocalist (Opera and good pop music) they don't jump out at me and say YEAH!

If the DT880s don't do this for you, Senns are going to do it even less. They're very laid back and mellow compared to DT880s, and if you found the latter boring then Senns will put you to sleep.

If you're looking for a headphone that's going to jump out and proclaim itself, I'd consider going with a higher end pair of Grados and just putting up with the comfort issues. Either that, or get used to a more natural/realistic presentation.

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #18 of 104
I'm interested in HD650 too, I've always read how HD580/600 is really similar to HD650 and you'll need $1000+ amp and $1000+ source to hear the difference. I didn't like HD580 at all. Any previous HD580/600 haters who love HD650?
confused.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #19 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
If the DT880s don't do this for you, Senns are going to do it even less. They're very laid back and mellow compared to DT880s, and if you found the latter boring then Senns will put you to sleep.

If you're looking for a headphone that's going to jump out and proclaim itself, I'd consider going with a higher end pair of Grados and just putting up with the comfort issues. Either that, or get used to a more natural/realistic presentation.

how strange I find 650 has about same top end as HF1 ...and we all know grado is pretty forward....so this 650 laid back/mellow confuses me.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #20 of 104
Don't forget that many people, myself included think that you can really improve the hd series sennheisers by using them with the mubius cable. I won't go as far as to say that it makes them sound "better" but it does shift the focus of these guys forward which is right where I want it. If you're deep enough into this hobby then you might want to keep your eyes open in the cables for sale forum.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #21 of 104
I came home today for another listen to the DT880s. This time around I messed with my receiver (preamp) and turned the volume up louder and the headphone amp volume was set lower. I instantly noticed a big difference with the dynamics in a better way, they really sounded great, except now I’m really noticing the high frequency spike that many talk about, and it is annoying. Now what kind of music were they designing such a spike for? I am really considering the HD650s even more, and to note, I overall prefer the Sennheiser high-end sound compared to the Grados (SR80s). IMO the Grados were punchy and bright not what I was looking for.

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #22 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill99hawk
I came home today for another listen to the DT880s. This time around I messed with my receiver (preamp) and turned the volume up louder and the headphone amp volume was set lower. I instantly noticed a big difference with the dynamics in a better way, they really sounded great, except now I’m really noticing the high frequency spike that many talk about, and it is annoying. Now what kind of music were they designing such a spike for?

The DT880s were designed for well-recorded music that isn't mastered too bright or treble-emphasized. Play that and you'll have no problems (IMO).

Edit -- certain people like Steve999 (?) are really giving the DT880s a bad reputation with all the talk about treble spikes and such. For what it's worth, the DT880s are quite a bit smoother/less bright than Grados, and I think people are starting to get the wrong idea about this headphone. Thanks a lot Steve...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #23 of 104
I recently had similar debate to yours, although my debate was between the headphones you own already, the DT880's, and the HD650's.
I attended the So-Cal Head-Fi meet and had a chance to audition quite a few different models. I went in looking to decide between these two cans and came out having decided on.........the HD600's. Let me explain. Ray Samuels happened to have both the DT880's and the HD600's on hand which made a comparison very easy. I had a moderately difficult time finding a pair of HD650's to borrow for comparison, as opposed to the 600's which was the most common Sennheiser headphone in attendance. I set out to discover why this was the case. I believe the setup I used included the SR-71 and Ray's Meridian G08. Considering that you already have the Beyer's, I will focus on the 600's and 650's. The primary and mosty immediately evident difference I found was in the low end. The 650's were impressive in this respect although I had difficulty in focusing on any other character of their sound. In contrast, the 600's were much more balanced and neutral to my ear, although certainly not as neutral as the DT880's. The 880's are TOO neutral for my ears, with a bit too much high end. My personal preference, I must say is towards the Sennheiser sound. The Beyer's did have strenghts in areas that the Senn's were deficient in. I just happen to prefer the overall sound the Senheiser's have. My next choice after the HD600's would also be the Beyer's, alhought the AKG 701's would be seriosly considered as well.
I feel that while presenting a somewhat more neutral sound than the 650's, the 600's also have plenty of bass for my tastes. They seem to be more faithful and accurate to the source. So it comes down to your personal taste in my opinion. Your best bet would be to compare the two at a meet, or buy from one of the sponsors who will allow you to buy both and return one.

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #24 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
The DT880s were designed for well-recorded music that isn't mastered too bright or treble-emphasized. Play that and you'll have no problems (IMO).

rolleyes.gif

Now who told you that?
rolleyes.gif

The Beyers are slightly bright so if the recording is bright - there you go.
The Sennheisers are slightly dull, so if the recording is dull - there you go.

giving the DT880s a bad reputation

No-one is trying to give the Beyers a bad reputation. Simply ... they are treble biased and the Senns are bass biased. Both have about the same amount of resolution capabilities.

Try not to be so paranoid!!

What's in between?

Ian

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #25 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
Now who told you that?
rolleyes.gif

My ears and recordings?
confused.gif

BTW, I'm admittedly a DT880 fanboy, but they really are only *slightly* bright. Steve999 and all the harping on the "treble spike" has really been giving these cans a bad name lately IMO. I'm very sensitive to tipped-up treble, but have no problems at all with the DT880 paired with non-bright gear and recordings.

P.S. to stay on topic,

Quote:

I know the HD580/600/650 are supposed to be based off the same drivers and similiar design, which I am familiar with the HD580s. But are the 580/600/650 really that different?

I owned HD580 and 600 at the same time for awhile, and feel they are in fact different enough to make the 600 a worthwhile purchase over the 580. To my ears, HD600 is cleaner sounding and has better dynamics. At higher volumes the HD580 can get shouty in the midrange, but HD600 doesn't.

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #26 of 104
Sorry Fewtch ... we overlapped. I did an edit. (Tongue in cheek of course!)

I know that people get a bee in their bonnet about the EXCELLENT 880's treble. The same can be said about the Senns. I love the way everyone puts the 580, 600 and 650 together too!!

It's not just mastering. The cans are bright. Since the Senns are dull, they mask that brightness that exist on many CD's played by nasty, cheap, bright CD players.

Both resolve just about the same amount of detail, so both can be tweaked either via EQ (Yuk) or a head amp so it's not that plain and simple and both comliment each other imo.

My ears have just told me that the Senns are brighter than I thought - I cleaned them out with a syringe!!
tongue.gif

Ian

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #27 of 104
DT880s are bright like the color of the square below is red:

red.jpg

Doesn't look red to me, but others may have a different opinion.

Such a slight amount of added brightness will only be perceived as "bright" if the music or gear is bright, so that's why I said what I did.

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #29 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
The Sennheisers are dull like the square is green. Who cares?

IMO Sennheiser HD580/600 are substantially duller in the treble than the DT880 is bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back