Recommend a decent pair of IEM's around $100 or less?
Jul 20, 2010 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PhoenixGX

New Head-Fier
I mostly listen to alternative/rock music, so I'd like a set with some base, but not overpowering.

I would also like to have a mic, but not necessary.  It'd be nice though.

Could anyone recommend me some?  I'm a fairly beginner audiophile.  I've previously used audeo phonak PFE's and they were okay, though they broke on me so thats why I'm looking for some now.

Thanks guys!

Some I've looked at are head-direct re0 and hippo VB, but of course, neither have a mic.

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 5
I'll second the Superfi 5vi as a solid choice.  They are relatively low on Amazon right now.  Good reviews here, and you get the mic.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 5
The PFEs were great!  Very comfortable, good set of accessories, comes with a small bag, and very nice clarity.  However, base was lacking.  I've heard its very similar to the re0's though I can't compare them for you.  Sorry I don't think I can tell you much as those are the only real earphones I've owned other than stock apple earbuds.

Unfortunately, the SF5vi's are a little over my budget as they're $189 CAD for me.  Max I'm willing to go is $130 CAD and some I've considered are...

Klipsch image s4i -> $129

Shure SE115m+ -> $129

Head-Direct re0 -> ~$80 but no mic

Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170vi -> $100

Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220vi -> $129

Ultimate Ears Superfi 5vi -> ~$80

Just by price alone, seems the s4i, SE115m+, and the 220vi are the best and are within my stretched budget.  However, I've heard nothing but great stuff about the re0 so I'm still considering that, and its $50 cheaper!

If anyone could shed some light, that would be great!

EDIT:  AH!  I was under the impression that amazon.com doesn't ship to canada but it does!  Added superfi to list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back