Recommand open/close headphone for large melon(head)?
Sep 18, 2011 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

noonealive

Head-Fier
Hi, personally I owned four pairs of headphones, which are AKG 702/ AKG 271 MK2/SRH440/HD558.
I found wearing those headphone during long hour recording/listening music kinda hurt my head. I guess my head is getting bigger and bigger..Anyone got good recommandation for a new pair of headphone? I need a pair of open and close headphone that sounds neutral and has large sound stage. Most importantly is good for people who has large head, and very comfort for long hour usage.
Thanks.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 6
So far as I see it, the DT 880 is a semi open headphone that is extremely comfortable. I have a large melon as well, and these fit perfectly fine, but my large ears kinda get stuffed in the cups a bit :p.

These are the most neutral of the DT line (from what I gather) but I don't know much!

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 6
If you have the money, you could try a Stax Lambda series. Most are open (there are a few that are closed, but they're not as easy to find and also more expensive), and they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, though I don't think my head is particularly large. (However, there's still quite a bit of room to push the headband up if needed, and clamping force is very light.) Electrostatics are also known for neutrality, though a lot of people seem to find Lambda-series models in general a touch on the bright side.

The only issue is that a Stax system gets very expensive unless you find a good deal on a vintage set, and most of those vintage setups have a transformer box that needs to be fed with a speaker amp, adding additional cost if you don't already have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back