Recomended Headphones under $200 with a little warm sound signature?
Aug 17, 2018 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aguskapo007

New Head-Fier
Hi :D, from now i say sorry about my inglish, im from Uruguay. Im searching for new headphones to replace my actual headphones.
Now i have a Koss UR40 but i dont like them sound signature, it lacks a bit of bass and mids and the trebles (especially the cymbals) pierces my ears.

I would like a bit of warm, calid headphones, with the bass and the mids a little bit upperwards (but with the bass not overwhealming and the mids very clear and present) and neutral trebles. Equalizing my perfect headphones, from 1 to 10, while 5 is neutral, i would like something like 6.5 for bass, 6 for mids and 5 for trebles, i don´t know if its understandable. I would use them to listen to some special songs for me (that bring me goosebumps or let me being again in my childhood) properly, like the T-ARA songs "Like the first Time", "Im in Pain" or "Roly Poly".

Closed back, and with removable cable too. Lack of comfort (if they aren´t a pain to wear), horrible design or lack of portability is no problem to me, i would use them only on my computer, with my Asus Xonar DGX :D

Any suggestion? Ive checked the MSR7 but now they are above $200, and from Uruguay i can get from Amazon only under $199 products. Ive checked the M50X too but ive read that those lack a bit of mids and got a V-shape sound, which im not a fan because of the lack of mids.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi!

It’s really nice to see people from South America over here. I also have the US$199 limit here in Colombia, and there are a couple of options I can come up with:

- If you strictly want a closed back under 200, I’d recommend you the NAD Viso HP50. These are a great pair of headphone which can be portable enough to carry and the sound is pretty good, very close to the Harman target with a tasteful emphasis on bass. These were one of my first headphones and they even scale well when properly amped.

NONETHELESS...you have some pretty good options from Massdrop that are open back and since you’re using them at home are well worth it

- The Massdrop AKG K7XX. It costs 199. Nice headphone, big soundstage headphone, amazing for gaming, emphasized bass and good imaging
- The Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X: It costs 149. Another great heaphone that is an absolute bargain at its price.

I hope this helps you.

Hi :D, from now i say sorry about my inglish, im from Uruguay. Im searching for new headphones to replace my actual headphones.
Now i have a Koss UR40 but i dont like them sound signature, it lacks a bit of bass and mids and the trebles (especially the cymbals) pierces my ears.

I would like a bit of warm, calid headphones, with the bass and the mids a little bit upperwards (but with the bass not overwhealming and the mids very clear and present) and neutral trebles. Equalizing my perfect headphones, from 1 to 10, while 5 is neutral, i would like something like 6.5 for bass, 6 for mids and 5 for trebles, i don´t know if its understandable. I would use them to listen to some special songs for me (that bring me goosebumps or let me being again in my childhood) properly, like the T-ARA songs "Like the first Time", "Im in Pain" or "Roly Poly".

Closed back, and with removable cable too. Lack of comfort (if they aren´t a pain to wear), horrible design or lack of portability is no problem to me, i would use them only on my computer, with my Asus Xonar DGX :D

Any suggestion? Ive checked the MSR7 but now they are above $200, and from Uruguay i can get from Amazon only under $199 products. Ive checked the M50X too but ive read that those lack a bit of mids and got a V-shape sound, which im not a fan because of the lack of mids.

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 9
Look into the 1More Triple Driver Over Ear.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 9
Agreed with the 1More. The thing of us people from South America is that if something is priced higher than 199 dollars, we are charged with about 30% taxes.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi!

It’s really nice to see people from South America over here. I also have the US$199 limit here in Colombia, and there are a couple of options I can come up with:

- If you strictly want a closed back under 200, I’d recommend you the NAD Viso HP50. These are a great pair of headphone which can be portable enough to carry and the sound is pretty good, very close to the Harman target with a tasteful emphasis on bass. These were one of my first headphones and they even scale well when properly amped.

NONETHELESS...you have some pretty good options from Massdrop that are open back and since you’re using them at home are well worth it

- The Massdrop AKG K7XX. It costs 199. Nice headphone, big soundstage headphone, amazing for gaming, emphasized bass and good imaging
- The Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X: It costs 149. Another great heaphone that is an absolute bargain at its price.

I hope this helps you.

Hola, gracias por la recomendación. El problema es que vivo con unos amigos y cuando escucho música de forma "seria", lo hago cuando todos están durmiendo (al rededor de las 2 AM), y con auriculares abiertos no puedo aumentar mucho el volumen ya que les molestaría para dormir, sin embargo con el volumen bajo no llego a disfrutar bien la experiencia. Estoy viendo los NAD Viso HP50, vi una review rápida y parecen ser lo que busco, ahora en un rato cuando tenga tiempo libre los veo mejor, gracias!

Look into the 1More Triple Driver Over Ear.

The K7XX and HD58X are nice but they are not closed. I agree with the 1More TDOE suggestion. That could work. Just a tad over budget.

Thanks for the recommendation, they look good but i cannot get them, they aren´t avaible here in Uruguay and from Amazon i can only buy under $200 headphones, and they are actually $249. I could get them anyways, but i would need to pay taxes, etc, and a total of around 200% of the original price, like $400 or $450

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Hola, gracias por la recomendación. El problema es que vivo con unos amigos y cuando escucho música de forma "seria", lo hago cuando todos están durmiendo (al rededor de las 2 AM), y con auriculares abiertos no puedo aumentar mucho el volumen ya que les molestaría para dormir, sin embargo con el volumen bajo no llego a disfrutar bien la experiencia. Estoy viendo los NAD Viso HP50, vi una review rápida y parecen ser lo que busco, ahora en un rato cuando tenga tiempo libre los veo mejor, gracias!

Thanks for the recommendation, they look good but i cannot get them, they aren´t avaible here in Uruguay and from Amazon i can only buy under $200 headphones, and they are actually $249. I could get them anyways, but i would need to pay taxes, etc, and a total of around 200% of the original price, like $400 or $450
Gosh, that is quite a tax burden. Bummer!

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Good closed back headphones are going to cost you a bit.

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 9
Gosh, that is quite a tax burden. Bummer!
Unfortunately, that's how things are in many countries I'm south America. In addition of not having availability of headphones, amps, etc... Taxes make it really hard to get good prices.

I still think that @aguskapo007 has a solid choice in the NAD HP50. It initially retailed at 300 and I think it's a great headphone that fits his needs. Another option would be getting a second hand headphone in the forum and have it sent through DHL and declared under 200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back