Reco request: Over-ear, Open Cans
Feb 17, 2018 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AvenueQResident

New Head-Fier
Hey folks;

Making the plunge and looking for selection advice. I've got a new apartment with a study that's turning out to be echo city, so desktop/bookshelf monitors aren't going to cut it without a LOT of echo chasing. Not worth it. Happily jumping into the world of cans instead.

Last night, wanting something quickly, I plunked down for a set of HD 650s and a little Fiio EK10. This was never meant to be the long-term solution, and I'm already seeing the pitfalls with this setup. So, chasing a few reviews, I went ahead and placed an order for a Schiit stack - Modi Multibit and Magni 3. My understanding is that this setup will be able to drive just about anything out there, which means I'm turning back to the can selection.

Issues with the 650s:

- I knew going in that a LOT of folks have talked about the clamping force issue with the 650s... definitely feeling it with mine, too. Not liking the prospect of spending all day with my head in a vice.
- Slightly cold and bright, in my opinion. Brights are feeling a bit harsh/fatiguing to me (could this be because of the Fiio?)
- Bass is nice and tight (my preference), but just isn't reaching down far enough (again, is this a problem with the little deck of cards driving these?)

Music selection:

- modern/contemporary/smooth jazz, funk, etc. Not elevator music. Good example here and here (Spotify links).
- standards/quiet vocals (think Diana Krall)
- Pop (Charlie Puth, Ariana Grande, etc)

What I'm looking for:

- I live alone in a quiet place, so open-backed is absolutely the preference.
- Comfort is paramount. I work from home about half the time, and will be spending a LOT of time in these things.
- Prefer a warmer sound, but with good detail. That "aluminum tweeter" sound and sterile highs all day long just won't work.
- I'm not a basshead, but I DO like tight low-end impact.
- Price is ideally in the $500 range, but I'm also a fan of buying something right the first time. I could foreseeably double that.

Anything else I can add to help drill it down? What would you folks suggest?

Many, many thanks in advance!

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Hey folks;

I went ahead and placed an order for a Schiit stack - Modi Multibit and Magni 3. My understanding is that this setup will be able to drive just about anything out there, which means I'm turning back to the can selection.

Issues with the 650s:

- I knew going in that a LOT of folks have talked about the clamping force issue with the 650s... definitely feeling it with mine, too. Not liking the prospect of spending all day with my head in a vice.
- Slightly cold and bright, in my opinion. Brights are feeling a bit harsh/fatiguing to me (could this be because of the Fiio?)
- Bass is nice and tight (my preference), but just isn't reaching down far enough (again, is this a problem with the little deck of cards driving these?)

Music selection:

- modern/contemporary/smooth jazz, funk, etc. Not elevator music. Good example here and here (Spotify links).
- standards/quiet vocals (think Diana Krall)
- Pop (Charlie Puth, Ariana Grande, etc)

What I'm looking for:

- I live alone in a quiet place, so open-backed is absolutely the preference.
- Comfort is paramount. I work from home about half the time, and will be spending a LOT of time in these things.
- Prefer a warmer sound, but with good detail. That "aluminum tweeter" sound and sterile highs all day long just won't work.
- I'm not a basshead, but I DO like tight low-end impact.
- Price is ideally in the $500 range, but I'm also a fan of buying something right the first time. I could foreseeably double that.

Anything else I can add to help drill it down? What would you folks suggest?

Many, many thanks in advance!

I would return the Schiit Magni 3,keep the Modi MB,keep the HD650s and buy a nice tube amp,like a Darkvoice 336 or La Figaro 339.
The HD650s are many things,shrill and bright is usually not one of them.Theyre a smooth warm listen on a good tube amp.the clamping force can be lessened by stretching them out on some books.

If youre hellbent on buying new headphones,look into a used pair of Audeze LCD-2s,pre fazor.There is also the Audioquest Nighthawk and Meze 99s but those are both closed back.

Typically when folks want a warm open backed headphone the HD600 and HD650 are what gets suggested.

EDIT: I would also recommend burning your gear in for a week or so...run pink noise thru them over night while you sleep.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks!

Certainly not hellbent on replacing the cans, just open to it and figured my first purchase probably didn't hit the mark. However, I'm also very aware that the little Fiio is not a good solution for this scenario, and the deficiencies I'm hearing are likely related to that.

Can you expand on the tube amp aspect? My reading there has been less than conclusive, but maybe it's the right option for what I'm after. Thoughts on the Vali 2, on that note?

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks!

Certainly not hellbent on replacing the cans, just open to it and figured my first purchase probably didn't hit the mark. However, I'm also very aware that the little Fiio is not a good solution for this scenario, and the deficiencies I'm hearing are likely related to that.

Can you expand on the tube amp aspect? My reading there has been less than conclusive, but maybe it's the right option for what I'm after. Thoughts on the Vali 2, on that note?

I wouldnt recommend the Vali 2.It has less of a tube sound,and less rolling options than an OTL. OTLs thrive with high ohm headphones,like your HD650s.The tubes can be rolled(changed) to get the desired sound youre looking for.If youve never heard a tube amp,and never heard the differences simply by changing out one set of tubes for another you are in for a pleasant surprise.

I have a La Figaro 339 and my HD6xx(same as 650)sounds stellar on it.Other members swear by the Bottlehead Crack,but that requires some DiY skill.

The Magni 3 is a bright solid state amp.It will only add to your distaste for the HD650s IMO.

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back