Received K701 as gift....amping issue
Apr 19, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #31 of 42
Japan is EXPENSIVE!!
Keep your eye out at Hard Off, if you don't know,don't ask
smily_headphones1.gif
, you may come across something for 50 bucks, but I hardly see vintage receivers. I don't know how much they run, but you can find AT headphone amps at Hyakuman Volt or someplace.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomoyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could also use mini to rca cable.

Right, but if the mini is a headphone jack, you'll be double amping them. The headphone jack will add its own distortion; though it's fine if it was a line out.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better you tell me when you buy a decent amp for them.

Easy to drive doesn't mean getting getting plenty of volume easily. I can only assume that because you think they run fine (loud enough) from an iPhone, that is your only measure of an amps performance.

popcorn.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #34 of 42
Wooh!! Arguments ftw!!!

But seriously, I've been keeping my eye on the sales forum, and obv most of the things there exceed my budget. The two that are looking best right now are the Nie Mini Hi-Fi and Acoustic Alchemy (I can possibly stretch the budget for the latter). Any impressions on these? And/or how do they compare to a cheaper portable (cmoy, pav2v) or a studio amp (samson q5 or s-amp)??

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #35 of 42
How about save some more money for better amp?
Check out this
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1
Starting at $125

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #36 of 42
I tried a quick run of the K701's out of my S9. I could get volume alright, but sound quality was a bit ridiculous. Compressed soundstage, limited instrument separation, some sibilance issues... Naturally the 10JPN's are much better from portables, and straight from iPod I'd rather take any one of the IEMs or maybe even the PX100... actually, probably not the PX.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about save some more money for better amp?
Check out this
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1
Starting at $125

I'm looking at one of these for my main PC rig. Dirt cheap with Audio-GD name behind it (so it should be good, if not great).

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #40 of 42
I've never heard of a good portable amp for under $99. I use the Headroom Airhead and it does the job just fine, but I'm trying out the uDAC today.

Strangely I was in a Best Buy today and I saw a $30 headphone amp for sale. It was called on the box a "headphone booster", but the same thing I guess.

It was sold next to the portable DVD players and also had three jacks for splitting the audio.

It was called the "Boosteroo" and I wonder how this would work. It's only $30 and couldn't hurt.

I did a google on that and it's made by a company that seems to make lots of other amps. On their webpage they seem to have a lot of positive reviews.

I'm such a nerd that I bought one just to try out. I'll end up returning it probably, but it might be decent.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomoyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could also use mini to rca cable.

I did that for years during my poor teenage years (mini from headphone out of computer to my '78 Pioneer 980 receiver my uncle gave to me). It sounded "decent". Then I found audio forums on the internet.
biggrin.gif
(And a good job after college).

I don't think those vintage receivers/amps are very cheap either btw. The shipping alone is $20 to $50 on them, and a working one is at least $20. Most, with shipping, will be $30 to $50 at least and more like $50 to $100. And some of them go for hundreds of dollars (at least the ones in decent condition, the better regarded models/brands and that work like mine...I should really sell it! lol). Hell the service manuals and parts (like knobs and faceplates) go from $5 to $30. They are collector items for nostalgia warped individuals wanting to relive their glory days (when they couldn't afford to buy at least the higher models...my 980 cost $650 in '79 which is around $2000 in todays money!) And then, unless you trust the seller (if they even mention it), they will need servicing to bring them "up to spec". That can easily cost $100+. If you skip it the unit won't sound as good as it can at the least, and at the worst will cease to work (30 odd year old electronics can't just be taken out of a closet and expected to work at spec, well, or even at all).

Local garage sales and goodwill type stores you might have better luck though. But you're still getting unreliable old equipment "as is".

I've actually got about 5 old receivers btw, just because I love how they look. Too bad they don't sound very good, even the one I had worked on. They are mass market consumer electronics after all. I haven't used most of them in years and they sit in the basement waiting to be sold for inflated prices because of sites like ebay (around 2000 these things WERE cheap(er), now, ha!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
popcorn.gif

Not necessarily. My EF-1 and 702 combo sounds weak to me, like it needs more power. (I do like it still however). And out of my Cowon with my little E5 amp and the 702? Forget it. Forget even my 225i's out of that. It's a joke, sounds horrible. Even my IEM's need better amping (although, for what it is, the E5 does improve the SQ and not just the volume).

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #42 of 42
Well...my family had been using an old JVC R-S7 RMS for as long as I can remember, and only just got a new one over the winter. I asked about it at home and they just took it to someone to make sure everything was still working fine, and it looks like that it's as good as new, for the most part.

(looks like this: *70's Nostalgia* JVC Stereo Receiver R-S7 RMS 55W Works - eBay (item 330285839362 end time May-05-10 08:46:19 PDT))

I don't know much about it, but it's something that I could get for free whenever I get home a chance to go home in a few months. I'm definitely going to keep that open as an option, and also look around for a used Audio-GD Sparrow, as I've heard nothing but good things about that amp. If I can find it at a lower price consider me sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back