Received K701 as gift....amping issue
Apr 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

avocado

Head-Fier
Out of the blue randomly yesterday my favorite uncle bought me 701s as an early graduation present, which I'm obv ecstatic about. However...I'm a current owner of sr80s, px100s, and the esw9 - aka things that work fine unamped.

I know that this subject has been beaten to death on the forums with the general consensus being "don't get K701s unless you're willing to follow up with a good amp", but I don't want to disrespect such an awesome gift or my uncle. I'm a student on a shoestring budget (every cent I earn in the next several years will be going towards paying student loans and basic living expenses) and probably the most I can put budget for an amp is $50. Pitiful pitiful pitiful. But I figure that as a non-amp owner anything is an upgrade...right?

Was looking at some used studio amps on ebay, and it seems like the alternative is something like a cmoy, which I doubt has enough power. Any other suggestions?

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 42
I guess your best bet for the moment is to sell some of your gear and then save $20 per months for a year if you want to go directly for a decent used desktop amp. $50 to $60 could get you a decent pre-built DIY portable solution like PA2V2, MINI3, or a good CMOy.

In North America, $50 is more or less enough to buy the necessary parts (not including the case) for a reasonably good DIY desktop amp like SOHA II or Millett Starving Student. I don't know about the price of electronic parts in Japan though.

DIY is usually the most cost effective way to go, but it does require time, some skills and some tools. It may be helpful to find a local electronic DIY club or even an amateur radio club where people with experience can help you.

http://www.cavalliaudio.com/soha%20i...?page=overview

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 42
well, since you have it, might as use it.
I plug my k702 to my macbook pro all the time just because I can't lug my amp (caliente) around and they sound just fine, especially if you listen to classical and non-bass heavy music. I mean, unless you've tried it with a good amp before, you won't really know what you are missing (well... some bass heavy songs might not sound 'right').
People who say "do not even bother listening to k70x unless you have a good amp" often have amps that cost more than my laptop...

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 42
It's not like you won't hear anything through K701 without an amp.. Use it without amp for now until you save money for decent amp later.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 42
It seems like you might just have to use the K701 out of whatever until you can save up for a reasonable home amp (one of the better Chinese amps like an mstage) or a used reciever (not sure if those are good value in Japan). Unless you can DIY. It just doesn't make sense to me to get a cmoy now when if you save for it you can get something 'alright' for the K701 in a few months.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 42
Thanks for the replies!! It's a relief to hear people say things other than "don't bother, just give it up until you can buy an $X00 amp." Also, I'm currently located in New York, just haven't updated my profile for a few months, heh..

So it sounds like the best course of action for the moment is to keep an eye out for something used (definitely lacking in the DIY skills), and hopefully be able to afford something a bit better at some point in the future. As of now I can't really justify 'saving' for something good - I think that an 'okay' holdover will have to do until I have more disposable income. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice!!

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 42
Check out the for sale section in this forum and eBay. You can get some great deals on used amps. I did.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 42
People tend to use very strong terminology when describing music or lack of performance of one amp vs. another. But in reality, the K701 sounds pretty good out of a iPod with a Fiio E5 amp. Is it great? No, but it is still a very good sound that can be enjoyed until funds become available for something more appropriate. Then when you do upgrade, you will appreciate the step up and already have a great set of cans.

As a next step, I had very good performance from a RW Amp 1 paired with the K701, which is under $100 on the used market, and at a higher pricepoint the Corda Haedfive at under $200 is a steal on the used market.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 42
I bet k701 w/o amp still sounds good, depending on your expectation I guess.

I am still on my Sony MDR-V700 from like almost 7-8 years ago!! Been thinking of K702 as that's what I can find around Vancouver for 300-400
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 42
sometimes i see the bravo tube amp around that price..maybe used, keep an eye out

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #15 of 42
A dirt cheap amp around $50 is just that, nothing more than a loud button with no real power.

You've said you want to do those phones justice, so save your $50 and put it towards a decent desktop amp down the track - not a battery/USB powered portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back