Received AKG K240s...
Jan 21, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #47 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944
Nice! Glad you are digging them.. I bought mine used so I've never heard a brand new pair-- but it sounds like they're turning out to be more-or-less very similar. And you're right, the DT 880s are a vast improvement, but I agree that it doesn't really take away from the enjoyment of the K240s. Revel in the best of both worlds
biggrin.gif

They're great for under-$100 cans... roughly comparable to the Grado SR60 I think, except with more comfortable, built better, more listenable highs, and they actually have some sound/headstage
tongue.gif
. I like the design and fit/finish as well... I've used studio-type cans before (used Denon AH-D550 regularly for years) and these are the best of that type of headphone that I've ever had.

At this point, I don't have a lot of music that I prefer to listen to with the K240S, but that could change... gotta dig up some groovy stuff...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Not speaking to the question of whether "burn in" is "real" or not, you're actually wrong about your ears "burning in".

Whether I am or not, these cans sounded really strange right out of the box. No dynamics, no bass and no treble, it was all midrange. Hard to imagine that my ears would hear that at first, then suddenly start hearing some bass and treble within a half hour... makes no sense.

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #49 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
fewtch, I'm curious if k501 pads fit the k240s?

I'm not removing the pads again to find out, each removal stretches them a bit and risks damaging the pads and drivers.

Even if it did fit, the distance from the ears is much greater and it's very likely it would change the sound for the worse.

Jan 21, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #50 of 117
Aw come on, if it fits, I'm buying K240S right now. I just don't like hot sweaty pleather, I really like the cool K501 pads tho
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #51 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Count me as a big fan of AKG mids. It's funny, but I was never the biggest fan of midrange until I started hearing AKG headphones... used to have the typical "consumer" preference of some midrange suckout, probably because poorly done midrange is shouty, honky, dry and a whole host of bad things that detract from musical enjoyment. AKG just gets it right.

That is usually the way it goes with AKG.
340smile.gif

Congrats on the new cans, I knew you'd love 'em.
wink.gif

EDIT: AKG makes velour pads now that fit the K240/K271S/K340.

Jan 21, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #52 of 117
the akgs are nice budget phones.

it lacks bottom end however. But the netrality of these cans are impressive.
removing the pads do nothing to it.

Ive also taken everything entirely apart.

I dont like the pleather however. There is no breathing room, so after a while it starts getting uncomfortable.

they are not comparable to the grado sr-60s, they actually beat my sr-80s by a fairly large margin in terms of build quality and sound reproduction.

Jan 21, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #53 of 117
Quote:

Even if it did fit, the distance from the ears is much greater and it's very likely it would change the sound for the worse.

Driver separation from the ear is crutial to the K240s sound IMHO. I think this is why the bass disappears when you try and use DT770 pads o nthe AKG. When I had DT770 pads on mine I could increase the bass soemwhat by pressing the cans tighter to my ears.

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #54 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
That is usually the way it goes with AKG.
340smile.gif

Congrats on the new cans, I knew you'd love 'em.
wink.gif

Actually, I'm getting a very bad vibe with these cans today.

(A) The pleather earpads are hot, sticky and uncomfortable. I mean, bad enough to be a constant distraction while listening to music.

(B) I'm not sure I like the sound much. Switched back and forth a few times between the K240S and DT880, and I'm almost thinking I'd prefer listening to *anything* on the DT880 -- it's that much better of a headphone.

Questionable what I'm going to do at this point... I'll probably try and adjust to having hot, gooey, slimy pleather pressing against my ears and if I can't then they go up on the market. I always give a new piece of gear a chance, so we'll just have to see how much jack time they end up getting over the next 30 days or so.

Jan 21, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #55 of 117
Quote:

Actually, I'm getting a very bad vibe with these cans today.

(A) The pleather earpads are hot, sticky and uncomfortable. I mean, bad enough to be a constant distraction while listening to music.

(B) I'm not sure I like the sound much. Switched back and forth a few times between the K240S and DT880, and I'm almost thinking I'd prefer listening to *anything* on the DT880 -- it's that much better of a headphone.

Questionable what I'm going to do at this point... I'll probably try and adjust to having hot, gooey, slimy pleather pressing against my ears and if I can't then they go up on the market. I always give a new piece of gear a chance, so we'll just have to see how much jack time they end up getting over the next 30 days or so.

Hey fewtch, the K240S very much straddles the line of mid- and lo-fi, so I am not shocked you prefer the very hi-fi DT880 to them. This is like comparing a Honda Accord to a BMW M5, where the former wins essentially no battles except the wallet battle.

If you want something that ROCKS, or GROOVES, or whatever adjective you'd like to substitute for the PRaT/musical/boogie vibe often ascribed to the so-called "groovalizers," then you know you want those DT531's. I honestly don't feel like I'm losing much when listening to them compared to my SA5000, because they are so damn fun, even if they don't have the highest highs or lowest lows. They are decidedly mid-fi which is more than I can say of the K240S. They are waay more balanced than any Grado (save the HP1000), and manage to make the music fun more frequently. Of course it all depends on synergy with other gear, they reveal the harsh highs of the DAC1, while having SICK groove with the buttah-smooth Aqvox.

Jan 21, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #56 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
If you want something that ROCKS, or GROOVES, or whatever adjective you'd like to substitute for the PRaT/musical/boogie vibe often ascribed to the so-called "groovalizers," then you know you want those DT531's. I honestly don't feel like I'm losing much when listening to them compared to my SA5000, because they are so damn fun, even if they don't have the highest highs or lowest lows. They are decidedly mid-fi which is more than I can say of the K240S. They are waay more balanced than any Grado (save the HP1000), and manage to make the music fun more frequently. Of course it all depends on synergy with other gear, they reveal the harsh highs of the DAC1, while having SICK groove with the buttah-smooth Aqvox.

Unfortunately, it's gonna be hard to find a pair of DT531s after that one up in the FS forum sells... and I'm decidedly out of funds for the rest of the month.
frown.gif
Any other recommendations on "groovy" cans that have a higher level of fidelity?

Jan 21, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #57 of 117
Quote:

Yet another negative defoaming experience. When will I learn to listen to my intuition on this matter, instead of the crowd?
rolleyes.gif

I have no problem with people having a different opinion than mine, however it sounds like you had your mind made up before you even put them on your head.

Sound is subjective and you hate padless cans so much you knew they would sound bad before you had a listen.

I love the 240s without the pads, they are not incoherant in the slightest, it just takes everything the 240s is good at and refines it. There is less in the way, I swapped back and forth and now with the pads back on it just isn't quite there. There is still zero ear fatigue with them off also.

Jan 21, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #58 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
Sound is subjective and you hate padless cans so much you knew they would sound bad before you had a listen.

I love the 240s without the pads, they are not incoherant in the slightest, it just takes everything the 240s is good at and refines it.

I disagree... to my ears, it ruins the coherency of the cans (one of the few 'high fi' characteristics they have in the first place).

I could immediately tell that the thick foam was there for a reason on the K240S after removing it... they could have used thin foam, but thick foam was used. It was clear to me (to my ears anyway) that the foam has a lot to do with smooth transition between frequency ranges, because the highs were too prominent compared to the rest of the spectrum.

P.S. why would I hate padless cans? That makes zero sense, if you stop and think about it. If I actually had a good defoaming experience, I'd be singing its praises along with everyone else.

Jan 21, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #59 of 117
Quote:

Unfortunately, it's gonna be hard to find a pair of DT531s after that one up in the FS forum sells... and I'm decidedly out of funds for the rest of the month.
frown.gif
Any other recommendations on "groovy" cans that have a higher level of fidelity?

Well the HF-1 isn't bad, though the 531 kicks its butt IMO. Of course that doesn't help you either
rolleyes.gif
Neither does the Shure E500.
rolleyes.gif
Hmmm, just hope the 531 comes around again, hey it did for me
biggrin.gif
. Some folks say the DT440 is somewhat similar to the 531, perhaps that is your best bet of what is out there right now.

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #60 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Well the HF-1 isn't bad, though the 531 kicks its but IMO. Of course that doesn't help you either
rolleyes.gif
Neither does the Shure E500.
rolleyes.gif
Hmmm, just hope the 531 comes around again, hey it did for me
biggrin.gif

If it was really a FOTM awhile back, a pair should come up again eventually. Anyway, thanks for the help... maybe I'll get used to the K240S. I'm gonna look into new earpads as well, as an uncomfortable experience can really impact one's opinion of a pair of cans.

Anyone know who to call to order the velour K240S earpads, or could direct me to the thread discussing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back