Received AKG K240s...
Jan 20, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #31 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
i agree.. but how do you keep crap from going into the drivers?

Thats the drawback. Alternatively you could make your own driver covers out of a thinner more transparent cloth. I socket modded mine and have been lucky.... I take care of them though.

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #32 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
i agree.. but how do you keep crap from going into the drivers?

Honestly? I am not very worried but I just blow on them from time to time.

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #33 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Yes. V6 is downright harsh & screechy compared to the K240, I'll take the K240 any day.

I agree! I couldn't stand to listen to the V6s for very long, its way to harsh. In fact I was going to buy that at first, but heard the 240S and couldn't turn it down.
However, IMO these are two completly different cans, so different people will perfer each, not to mention the V6s are closed, while the 240s is semi-open.

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #34 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
Glad you like them, I love mine.

Here is something you have to try though. This takes 10-20 seconds and is completely reversable in the same amoutn of time.

Take off the ear pads, they slide off easy. Then take off the large black foam pads covering the drivers, put the ear pads back on. This made a nice difference in sound quality. I didn't believe a pad mod could make such a big difference till I tried it myself. I rotate between my Sony SA5000s and the AKG 240s a lot these days.

I'll probably try this later after I've had 'em awhile... hate to mess with brand new cans
tongue.gif

One thing that scares me about pad mods is increasing highs with corresponding issues like harshness, sibilance and sonic fatigue. Other cans I've tried pad mods with (like Koss Portapro and Denon AHD750/950) have had this problem, so I have my doubts... but I will try it eventually, after I get used to the sound unmodded and my ears know what to listen for.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #36 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I have my doubts... but I will try it eventually, after I get used to the sound unmodded and my ears know what to listen for.

Good idea
smily_headphones1.gif
The thing I like about this is the pads aren't glued on or snapped in or anything, simply fall off when you take off the ear pads.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #37 of 117
Quote:

I'll probably try this later after I've had 'em awhile... hate to mess with brand new cans
tongue.gif

okay... but it literally takes like 5 seconds to try it. And I would hardly call this a mod - the pads just slide off and go back on with ease - to me mods imply that there's actual work required or care needs to be taken to prevent damage.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #38 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
okay... but it literally takes like 5 seconds to try it.

I don't see the point in doing it before I know well what they sound like unmodded. I could be changing it for the worse and not even knowing it, because I'm not familiar enough with the sonic signature of the cans.

If you're gonna assure me that it's a true improvement, don't bother -- I have not had a single positive past experience with pad mods. Even cutting holes in the Grado SR60 comfy pads had no sonic improvements to my ears. It's always been either the same (no change), or it improved certain things while making others worse. With the Portapro, it was an "amazing improvement" that I had to undo because my ears were fatigued/ringing within 3 minutes after starting to listen.

Quote:

to me mods imply that there's actual work required or care needs to be taken to prevent damage.

There's *always* a potential for damage when pulling apart something on a pair of headphones, however small that chance might be.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #39 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminair
Based on my limited experience but extensive research, AKG k240s are the best headphone deal in the world. I think anyone could get them and be happy with them indefinitely.

I agree. Hypothetically if I had to sell my main SA5000s I would be annoyed of course but the 240s with no pads are very high quality, they do not sound "budget" to me at all.

Now if I still had my Senn 595s to compare the two
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #40 of 117
Quote:

I don't see the point in doing it before I know well what they sound like unmodded. I could be changing it for the worse and not even knowing it, because I'm not familiar enough with the sonic signature of the cans.

If you're gonna assure me that it's a true improvement, don't bother -- I have not had a single positive past experience with pad mods. Even cutting holes in the Grado SR60 comfy pads had no sonic improvements to my ears. It's always been either the same (no change), or it improved certain things while making others worse. With the Portapro, it was an "amazing improvement" that I had to undo because my ears were fatigued/ringing within 3 minutes after starting to listen.

There's *always* a potential for damage when pulling apart something on a pair of headphones, however small that chance might be.

... hey, suit yourself. enjoy. and I don't know what took you so long to get a pair of these
smily_headphones1.gif
For a few of my friends, these were their entrance drug.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #41 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
I agree. Hypothetically if I had to sell my main SA5000s I would be annoyed of course but the 240s with no pads are very high quality, they do not sound "budget" to me at all.

What's your opinion on them with pads, are they "budget" sounding to you that way?

I just switched back to my DT880s, and sad to say the improvement is not subtle. Not that this makes K240S 'budget' cans, but they clearly aren't in the same league to my ears. So far though, I'd still prefer using the K240S for studio-recorded rhythmic music because of the way they convey the essential emotion of the music.

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #42 of 117
My curiosity got the better of me, so I pulled the earpads off the K240S and removed the foam, then put the pads back on.

This mod does indeed "bring out the highs," unfortunately it also turns a formerly coherent headphone into an incoherent one. Suddenly the bass + highs have prominence, at the expense of the mids. The highs call really attention to themselves in an unnatural way, along with the bass... mids are lost back in the mix, with the bass/treble pushing each other to grab your attention (treble winning the contest most of the time).

Foam. Back. In.

It's immediately clear there's a reason why a thick foam like this is used with the K240S... it's an integral part of the sonic signature of the headphones, and is responsible for the highs blending smoothly into the midrange. A good headphone is supposed to transition as unnoticeably (coherently) as possible between bass/mids/treble. IMO, removing the foam pads ruins the sound of the K240S and makes them low-fi.

Yet another negative defoaming experience. When will I learn to listen to my intuition on this matter, instead of the crowd?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #43 of 117
Nice! Glad you are digging them.. I bought mine used so I've never heard a brand new pair-- but it sounds like they're turning out to be more-or-less very similar. And you're right, the DT 880s are a vast improvement, but I agree that it doesn't really take away from the enjoyment of the K240s. Revel in the best of both worlds
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #45 of 117
Quote:

LOL!
orphsmile.gif
... I gotta laugh, because 30 minutes into burn-in the shouty character I heard in the midrange is practically gone, and there are the beginnings of the dynamics and headstage appearing as well. In other words, there's a large difference in the sound now vs. out of the box.

Better give 'em at least 10-15 more hours before making any more comments or I'll really be looking foolish
tongue.gif
. Suffice it to say that the sound is beginning to creep out of the box and into the headphones. I have to laugh at those who believe burn-in is a myth, because the difference from just 30 minutes ago is absolutely drastic. Don't tell me "my ears burned in to the sound"... not in a half hour they didn't.

Not speaking to the question of whether "burn in" is "real" or not, you're actually wrong about your ears "burning in". In as little as 1 minute the brain starts filtering sound, especially when frequencies are particularly pronounced. In my Radio Production course (taken on so many years ago in college) we did an experiment of listening to a 1000 hz tone for a minute through headphones. What happens is that after awhile the brain stops processing that frequency. Litterally you can no longer "hear" it. It's kind of spooky.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back