Reccomendations for earphones between $70-120
Sep 13, 2010 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kyuuketsuki

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all, I haven't been here in a while...

Now my main set UE Superfi 4's and by back-up AT-CK7's both decided to die at about the same time...

So now I need recommendations...

I liked both, CK7s were my first but the UE Sf 4 became my favorite due to its noise isolation capabilities, which is helpful because I spend a decent amount of time on the subway every day.

So basically I want a good pair of in-ear headphones... that

A) Have good noise isolation capabilities

B) can be listen to at lower volumes (I like my ears, and want to have good hearing for a while)

C) Have decent bass, but not overbearing. I'm not a bass head but I do listen to a wide range so... I want something with decent bass response...

I've looked at ER6i, UE Superfi 4, and RE0...

Please help... I don't have the time to look around and sift through a lot of reviews...

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 10
You said you ride the subway; are you from New York by any chance? If so, J&R seems to have a deal on the Black version of the Etyomic MC5 if you buy in-store, which seems like they would fit your needs. They are normally 80 but according to member rawster, they are available at J&R for 55 at the store. You might also be able to call and ask for a price reduction online if you wish, J&R prices have always been pretty negotiable.

I'd recommend you check out the MC5, Thinksound Rain, RE0. I'd recommend the HJE900, but they are only average with isolation and might have overbearing bass for you, though they are great for listening to at lower volumes. Thinksound also has a newer, more advanced model out in the form of the TS02, which is supposed to be an all around improvement over the rain, but there are no reviews on head fi yet. I heard a Rain though, and it sounded excellent with decent isolation as well. MC5 I'm quite sure will isolate a good deal more than the other two, though.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 10
Actually..... Yes.... Yes I am from NYC.... I was actually looking through B&H and ACGears... I'll certainly look into that.

Btw... I say up to $120 ideally... but if I must I'll go up to $150... however I prefer not to...

From the looks of it the Ety's you suggested may be a good choice... At least until I have the money for the Sleek Audios I want...

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 10
Always nice to hear of a fellow New Yorkers. If you want to go up to 150, theres always the Fischer Audio DBAs, which have developed a huge following recently, and are apparently considered Top Tier by many, and are compared to headphones more than twice the price frequently. I haven't heard any of these except the Rain and HJE900 though, and I didn't test the rain in a particularly noisy environment. Now that I think of it, their isolation should only be about equal to that of the HJE900, which is decent/average. You might also enjoy the Phonak PFEs, which I think now have a model with a bit more bass. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Denon AH-C751 with comply t400 foam buds. Well within your budget.

I think you are using the wrong currency my friend... They would be within my budget if I were using GBP, but as I am using USD... It is far outside my price range unfortunately... Even with the $150... Most sites I looked at have them at $200...

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 10
I got them for £80 at iheadphones.co.uk which is about $120 I believe. I thought that was a bargain when I bought them. There must be a website nearer to you with these. Trying perhaps searching on the silver finish.

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I got them for £80 at iheadphones.co.uk which is about $120 I believe. I thought that was a bargain when I bought them. There must be a website nearer to you with these. Trying perhaps searching on the silver finish.

I did find them on-line within my price range, BUT they are special order... and considering that I am using horrible headphones I don't think I could wait for them to process that...

I think I narrowed it down to Ety MC5, Panasonic HJE900 and Senn IE6. The latter two seem to be solid choices... I'm probably going to head to J&R later today or tomorrow to see which I like... Unless I can find another site with the Denon's at a good price that are ready to ship... I don't mind waiting, but not when it is completely unknown... I'll search a bit more when I am at school.... If I can manage to get to J&R today, I may not have the chance to search out the Denon's...

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 10
RE0RE0RE0RE0

Seriously though, they compete well with the MTPC (Which are $250+ phones) and cost only a fraction of that. They are the best value I have gotten in audio yet.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 10
Klipsh Image S4s, only $80.  Not the best set of headphones mentioned, but the cheapest I believe, and certainly the best earbuds for $80. Good bass, no sibilance in my experience with the highs, comfortable, great noise cancellation. Unamped, they sound better than my AHD 2000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back