Reccomendation for an open AND a closed can - Budget 180CAD
Feb 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pencil364

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, basically I bought a set of Klipsch S4s a couple of months ago and while I do love them, they tend to fall out of my right ear so I find it very difficult to study with them in. Also when I crank them the highs become extremely harsh but I must've just gotten a bad set or something. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a nice set of fullsize cans for my room. They're going to stay by my computer so portability doesn't matter at all. I have a Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer that I got for free so a sound card shouldn't be an issue.

tl;dr,
Cans, recommendation for an open AND a closed, I can't seem to decide what I like.
Budget 180 CAD
Basshead, I listen to (mostly) dubstep (mt eden, skrillex), electronica (deadmau5, digitalism)
Know for sure that I'm going to try the ATH-M50s

Thanks in advance!

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 6
Open: Sennheiser HD555 (modded to sound like 595)
Closed: ATH-M50 or Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1001

Pretty sure that will cover a lot and keep you in the price range.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Open: Sennheiser HD555 (modded to sound like 595)
Closed: ATH-M50 or Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1001

Good choices there. 
You can also add the AD700's (open) to the list. I find them pretty comfy.  

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 6
I was going to recommend the AD700, but with the genres of music OP mentioned, the AD700 would falter, BADLY. The bass is severely lacking for those genres... the HD555 modded would bring out some punchy bass that the AD700 couldn't possibly match.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
the HD555 modded would bring out some punchy bass that the AD700 couldn't possibly match.

Yeah, thats why i mentioned i love their comfort. 
Good point. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 6
I find the Sennheisers more comfortable. The pads are fantastic on the AD700 but the extremely loose fit and 3D Wings are a HUGE turn off for me, so much that I will never look into any other Audio Technica with the wing design. It was like a circus act of balancing them on my head. Any mild movement would move them out of place. Another thing was that I'm prone to static shock, and my ears touching the drivers caused some pretty annoying discomfort with the AD700. I know YMMV, but I honestly couldn't stand it anymore. I loved the AD700 as gaming cans, but that was the extent of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back