Reccomend me some value IEMs
Feb 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JamesXP

New Head-Fier
Suppose I better give you some background -

I currently own some Soundmagic PL21 IEMs and I like them, but after a year of use they've finally come to their death and they need replacing, I am in the UK so bear in mind, some headphone choices which are available in the USA might not be available here.

I currently own some large circumaural Sennheiser HD201s and I like these when they're run through my home theater amplfiier but less so when they're directly connected to my phone or MP3 player (sansa clip+) as they sound quite anemic in the bass department from a portable source.

Ideally i'd like the equivalent to the HD201s in IEM format; if that's possible also sometimes with the HD201 I feel i'd like some extra bass sometimes, below i'll list some of the various types of music you might find me listening to:

Metal - metalcore, heavy metal, alternative metal, nu metal, some thrash metal,  in other words, lots of metal!  (think system of a down, bullet for my valentine, slipknot, spineshank, machine head)

Hard Rock think bands like godsmack, three days grace, alien ant farm, papa roach

others include a small amount of ska-punk(think spunge, capdown), pop punk and indie pop (the xx, two door cinema club, white lies, pheonix)

so it's quite varied but i hope my post has been descriptive enough for you, and finally my budget is a firm £50 or 80$

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi,

Have you checked Jokerz IEM review post?
Clieo also has a pretty good review post.

Anyway these posts would be give you a good idea whats available in your price bracket. I can tell you with 80$ you will have plenty of choices and alot of them are pretty highly regarded.
Which IEM would fit best with your needs soundwise...I not so sure there. I am noob myself and just getting my feet wet.But plenty of people can help u here.

Also being from the UK is a good thing. a couple of sellers like play.com only ship within UK...and sometimes they have some great deals.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 13
I like bass but not a basshead since my favourite kind of music is pop, classic, newage. regarding rock, my most-listened to bands are metallica, linkin park, queen, beatles and aerosmith, apart from bass, or course, their music also necessitate good clarity and a bit good performance in high frequency sound.

yes the ljokerl's (not Jokerz) and ClieOS' (not Clieo) reviews are absolutely valuable for deciding which IEMs have the best price/performance ratio.

I used to use SoundMagic PL30 and PL50, they were quite good for basshead, but I am not sure if they can beat Sennheiser's IEMs which are famous in performing low frequency sound.

good luck.

Quote:
Hi,

Have you checked Jokerz IEM review post?
Clieo also has a pretty good review post.

Anyway these posts would be give you a good idea whats available in your price bracket. I can tell you with 80$ you will have plenty of choices and alot of them are pretty highly regarded.
Which IEM would fit best with your needs soundwise...I not so sure there. I am noob myself and just getting my feet wet.But plenty of people can help u here.

Also being from the UK is a good thing. a couple of sellers like play.com only ship within UK...and sometimes they have some great deals.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 13
I don't think you can beat the Brainwavz earphones for that price. The Brainwavz ProAlpha seem like a good pair at only £24 if you want bass. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 13
I have been searching all morning and a few headphones have caught my eye namely:

Brainwavz M2 - look really nice and build looks good - people say they have nice bass, but not much is mentioned about the treble and i'm wondering if they would be suitable for primarily heavy metal listening?

the head-direct RE0 looks nice although including shipping to the UK they are fair expensive, and reviews state they lack bass but there is extreme detail in the non-bass areas

there must be a compromise somewhere..

thanks for your help so far, if you have any suggestions or any prior knowledge on the M2s please don't hesitate to post :)

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I have been searching all morning and a few headphones have caught my eye namely:

Brainwavz M2 - look really nice and build looks good - people say they have nice bass, but not much is mentioned about the treble and i'm wondering if they would be suitable for primarily heavy metal listening?

the head-direct RE0 looks nice although including shipping to the UK they are fair expensive, and reviews state they lack bass but there is extreme detail in the non-bass areas

there must be a compromise somewhere..

thanks for your help so far, if you have any suggestions or any prior knowledge on the M2s please don't hesitate to post :)

The RE0 is £60+£3? delivery from AmpCity.co.uk. I recently had the RE-ZERO's (£70, AmpCity) and did not miss the bass in most tracks and absolutely revelled in the highs, I just had fit issues with them which was a shame. I haven't heard many complaints against them for fit but they just didn't work out for me.

I listen to practically anything including adventures into the reals of Static X, going back to Queen, up to Daft Punk, Basement Jaxx and Jamiroquai, slipped over to Darren Hayes and around to Sean Paul, 50 Cent and some dance/trance. Whilst I personally loved the RE-ZERO's and did not mind the 'weak bass', they would have been perfect earphones if they had just that little bit more 'oomph' in that department.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 13
I wasn't aware that they sold them there, i'll have a look.

it's a shame that these headphones aren't perfect as I crave the bass which my PL21s had although the quality of everything else wasn't excellent..

to how much of an extent is the bass weak it all depends on how weak it is, i could swing £60 at a push.

thanks for the reply.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 13
I can tell you, the Super Fis  are very mid forward, but I love them. HUGE soundstage, and a fun listen. However, I've never heard the MC5s :frowning2:

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #12 of 13
thanks for the opinion, anyone else have any views?

i'm still tempted towards the Brainwavz M2 but i'm unsure about the mids/highs as posts what i've seen are all varied

Users who are viewing this thread

Back