Reccomend me some headphones... Denon D2000, Sennheiser HD 650, Something else?
Sep 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I bought some Shure Srh840 and although they do sound nice, I find them a bit overly laid back and the treble is a bit thin, also the cable is annoying lol....

I tried out some Grado 325i today and although they do sound very nice apparently they 225i (my price range) are quite big step down... also they were too small and not very comfortable.....

So I am looking at either Denon D2000 or Sennheiser HD 650 but I am open to suggestions.... I am running through an amp so that is not a problem....

I want some phones that are somewhere between the grados and shures (the shures are too laid back and the grado a tad too forward)

Which out of the Denons and Sennheisers would be a more entertaining listen whilst not becomming fatiguing over long periods please? Any other suggestions?

Also I tried the sennheiser hd558 today and wasnt very impressed tbh... are the 650 a big step up from these?

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 24
You should also look into the HD600's. Some people prefer them over the 650's, purely on sound sig preference though. 650's have a bit of bass and less treble while the hd600's have a little more treble and a little less bass. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 24
The HD-650 sound veiled ( sound through a pillow ) and are hard to drive due to the impedance / frequency dependence.  I would personally shy away from these.  I sold mine and purchased some AH-D2000's.  You said you are looking for something with more mids to highs so the Denon is not going to give you that.  They are a bit boomy unamped, but amped they sound awesome.  They are still bass emphasized, but a really nice and easy listen.

The entire Grado line is basically the same up to the 325.  This is where both ends of the frequency spectrum widen.  I have a pair of RS-1i's and really like them, but the fit and lack of isolation may not be for you.  The sound out of the RS-1i is just incredible.

A can I really enjoy time and time again are the AKG K 271 MK II.  Try some the next time you get a chance and see if that is the sound you are looking for.  They sound much less "tinny" compared to the SHURE line and have great imaging.  I found the bass adequate as well without being boomy.  The great thing is that they are somewhat closed and the sound image is large, but not veiled.

The AKG 701 along with the HD-650 both have such large images that the sound is always going to feel recessed.  This drives me crazy and I ultimately find it displeasing.  After all when I put on headphones I expect them not to sound like a speaker.

Let us know if find something you like.

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks for the advice....

I was going to get the denons but then I read about "shrill" sounding treble which is something I REALLY dont want....

Hmm I was going to just buy some Sennheiser HD650 ( I have a decent amp) but now you have kindof put me off.... Also I really dont like the way the HD600 look unfortunately....

Are the HD650 going to be good if I amp them? I quite like a laid back sound but I just dont want them to be dull or boring sounding (I find the Shures a bit boring imo) Are they likely to be better then the shures in that respect if amped?

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 24
Also how would you describe the sound of the AKG?

Basically what I want is some nice smooth sounding phones with decent bass but at the same time I dont want them to be so smooth that they take all the excitement out of the music (shure) .... I also dont like over emphasised treble (are the denons really that bad for "shrill" sounding / fatiguing treble?)

Hmmm someone please tell me more about the sennheiser HD650 (are they boring to listen to?)

Also do the Denons really have irritating treble? ....

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 24
Have you considered the HD598?  They don't have the exciting bass slam as the D2000, nor do they have the resolution of the HD650 (although they're not too far off); but they're a bit brighter than the HD650 and have more pronounced mids than the D2000.  The mid-bass is very clear and fast, and the treble is not at all shrill (like the D2000).  I actually think they're slightly better than the HD600.  Just a thought...

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Have you considered the HD598?  They don't have the exciting bass slam as the D2000, nor do they have the resolution of the HD650 (although they're not too far off); but they're a bit brighter than the HD650 and have more pronounced mids than the D2000.  The mid-bass is very clear and fast, and the treble is not at all shrill (like the D2000).  I actually think they're slightly better than the HD600.  Just a thought...

I tried those today and personally I thought they were really not very good at all.... I think I am going to just go for the Denon AH D2000 because they sound like they would be what I am looking for...

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 24
The D2K is a great set of cans.

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 24
Get the denons ! I think the top end is smooth, real smooth.I see they are getting $350 on amazon, paid $220 for mine a year ago on amazon. Or better yet look for a used pair on here, plus they may even be broke in (about 200 hrs) . Lots of good used items on this site, and I think most people take good care of their gear. just bought a used amp (stepdance) on head-fi , So happy with it I sent him a thank you card.he also just sold a pair of the 5000's. The 2000's are the better bang for your buck, and you will get the denon sound signature. good luck....

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Get the denons ! I think the top end is smooth, real smooth.I see they are getting $350 on amazon, paid $220 for mine a year ago on amazon. Or better yet look for a used pair on here, plus they may even be broke in (about 200 hrs) . Lots of good used items on this site, and I think most people take good care of their gear. just bought a used amp (stepdance) on head-fi , So happy with it I sent him a thank you card.he also just sold a pair of the 5000's. The 2000's are the better bang for your buck, and you will get the denon sound signature. good luck....

Thanks for the advice.... Yeh I have spent the last week doing a lot of research as well as testing out various headphones from Shure, Sennheiser, Grado etc. and it seems like a very small minority of people dont like these and they will be a good overall balanced 'phone. Again thanks to head-fi this forum is EXTREMELY usefull! and most of the people on here seem cool :)

Think ill pick them up new because I just like getting nice shiny brand new stuff through lol and also has full warrantly and can exchange them if by any chance I dont like them although sounds like I will lol...

Do these respond well to burning in?

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 24
Well, everyone is different I guess.  For my ears, they are brilliant for classical (my main genre of interest).  The D2000 is really a great set of cans for everything else though, and a great bang for your buck.  I would totally buy them again to balance the HD598.  Good luck with them!

Quote:

I tried those today and personally I thought they were really not very good at all.... I think I am going to just go for the Denon AH D2000 because they sound like they would be what I am looking for...

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
Well, everyone is different I guess.  For my ears, they are brilliant for classical (my main genre of interest).  The D2000 is really a great set of cans for everything else though, and a great bang for your buck.  I would totally buy them again to balance the HD598.  Good luck with them!

It was possibly because they were brand new out of the box so werent burned in at all and also not a great source....

Are the Denons not good for classical music then? Because I like listening to classical music sometimes. People have said they are "similar to sennheiser hd650 but a bit more musical" that sounds like it would be good for classical to me?

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 24
Hmmm, i had the HD650 and D2000 at the same time and felt that they were totally different animals.
My personal opinion is that there are better headphones for classical than the d2000. They aren't terrible for classical though, especially if you aren't directly comparing them to other cans. They do make large orchestral recordings sound exciting. My gripe with them in regards to classical is with the mids: they're too sucked in sounding (if you catch my drift). This is mostly apparent in chamber works and smaller orchestral recordings. Having said that, if it's not your main genre, and you only throw it on from time to time, then I wouldn't worry about it. They truly are a nice set of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back