Recabling improves SQ?
Nov 17, 2010 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FearSC549

500+ Head-Fier
Does recabling crappy wires actually improve sound quality?  i.e. KSC75. I seen a lot of people recabled their KSC75 and they said there's a sound improvement(sound more open), but I keep believing it's snake oil.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 16
Well that's a subjective issue. To some it is, others not. I believe cables do improve SQ. But that's just me. This could become another heated debate about cables. I am a firm believer of SQ improvement with cables. IMO listen for yourself and see if you believe or not.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 16
I personal think it's mostly cognitive bias. My experience A/Bing interconnects (blind) I couldn't tell the difference between $50 and $500. But if your mind/ears correctly or otherwise perceive a difference, then it does exist in any way that matters so go for it. There are also many other benefits of a re-cable not SQ related. 

Edit: On reflection/search this is a fairly tired topic around here so sorry for the bump.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 16
To me Imaging is where i hear the differences the most. Copper vs Silver i can pick it out every time on a blind test. I had my wife swap cables for me while listening and could tell her if it was the copper cable or the silver cable every time.But thats my ears. Then theirs build quality also that plays a role. I always look for something built well.

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 16
"But thats my ears" This is the usual response and there is nothing I can say to refute it really. My inferior ears (and please no need for pity) enjoy music just as much with cheap cables. As I said in my first post if you perceive a difference then it exists, so it doesn't really matter if the difference exists in a measurable way.

I'm sure you understand the wife based testing isn't scientific. If the difference is so stark and assuming you're not 1 in a million hearing wise then It would be easy to find test results to back this up? 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/190566/blind-cable-taste-test-results
Tiny sample size agreed but an honest attempt to test.
I promise to stop now sorry again HF.

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 16

It didn't take long for this to happen, it always does.
Quote:
"But thats my ears" This is the usual response and there is nothing I can say to refute it really. My inferior ears (and please no need for pity) enjoy music just as much with cheap cables. As I said in my first post if you perceive a difference then it exists, so it doesn't really matter if the difference exists in a measurable way.

I'm sure you understand the wife based testing isn't scientific. If the difference is so stark and assuming you're not 1 in a million hearing wise then It would be easy to find test results to back this up? 

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 16
Before you start to sweat and go into convulsions because of what i posted. Make your point instead of blasting mine. Like i said it's a subjective thing. Chill and enjoy your music the way you HEAR it.
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 16

Inferior hmmmm.
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 16
It might improve the SQ if the cable is bad, but that being said it might not worth doing on KSC75 since it will probably cost more then headphone it self.
And improvement should just be minor, i would rather buy a other headphone then recabling KSC75.
Or just save the money for something else.
That is just my opinion.

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 16

No hard feelings friend, we are all here for the same thing. The love of great sounding music. Believe it or not i have some close friends because of this topic, both on opposite ends of the spectrum. Cheers
Quote:
To be honest Guidostrunk first post sums it all up pretty well and I shouldn't have chimed in sorry.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 16

The LUNE cable comes highly regarded for the TF10'S, although i have never used one when i had mine, just a lot of great feedback from some of my friends here that have.
Quote:
Many said that for the TF 10, if the cable is replaced, it sounds better, is this true? I heard UE's stock cable sucks ass and most people just use Westone's cable or some other kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back