Recable with inline iPhone/iPod control? Pics?
Jun 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

teofilrocks

500+ Head-Fier
I've never liked the Apple 'buds' and liked the in-ear version even less (don't like putting things inside my ears), but man I miss the inline remote for volume/track/pause control. I would love to add such a feature to my recabled PortaPros to make them truly enjoyable as portable phones. Has anyone tried it? Don't know that I can successfully hack on a remote made for tiny wires onto Canare Starquad cable, you know? If you have tried this, I would LOVE to see pics!

May 15, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 4
I've never liked the Apple 'buds' and liked the in-ear version even less (don't like putting things inside my ears), but man I miss the inline remote for volume/track/pause control. I would love to add such a feature to my recabled PortaPros to make them truly enjoyable as portable phones. Has anyone tried it? Don't know that I can successfully hack on a remote made for tiny wires onto Canare Starquad cable, you know? If you have tried this, I would LOVE to see pics!
I want to do this as well. Did you ever end up doing this?

May 15, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 4
I want to do this as well. Did you ever end up doing this?
I’m not sure what’s crazier, a 7 year old thread resurrection, or that I’m still around to reply to it.

But, to answer your question, sort of. I ended up cutting off the earbuds from an old iPhone headset. I then replaced the Canare cable with this stock Apple cable, and somehow soldered the tiny wire leads. It lasted for a while, but eventually broke beyond repair. Replaced the PortaPros and gave the new pair to my wife who still has them.

May 15, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 4
I’m not sure what’s crazier, a 7 year old thread resurrection, or that I’m still around to reply to it.

But, to answer your question, sort of. I ended up cutting off the earbuds from an old iPhone headset. I then replaced the Canare cable with this stock Apple cable, and somehow soldered the tiny wire leads. It lasted for a while, but eventually broke beyond repair. Replaced the PortaPros and gave the new pair to my wife who still has them.

Ha! Thanks. I thought I would open the earpods body and unsolder the drivers and use that on a used set. I think that would be easier than cutting and stripping the tine leads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back