Recable Shure SE530?
Jan 9, 2008 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Denver Max

100+ Head-Fier
While there is a lot of talk here at Head-Fi about the faulty cables that the Shure E500/SE530 are built with, I have done some searching, and there is no talk about possibly recabling the IEMs so that it isn't a reoccurring issue.

1. Is it possible? Has it been done before?

2. Is there any company/person that does it for people?

I'm being proactive. I've only had mine for 2 1/2 months, but if they do break, I don't want to just have Shure send me a replacement that will break again, I'd rather spend money to get a nicer, more durable, and higher quality cable.

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 15
There is a guy in Japan that will put your Shure in a custom mold and recable at the same time... Am guessing this is too much "surgery" 4u.

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a guy in Japan that will put your Shure in a custom mold and recable at the same time... Am guessing this is too much "surgery" 4u.

Do you have any more info on this Japanese fellow?

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's actually the exact route I'm going with them. I like these IEMs enough to invest some money in them, so a huge cosmetic and functional overhaul like that all in one might be exactly what I need.

Any more info?

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 15
+3

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 15
There is a shop in GuangZhou, China doing an extensive work on remolding and recabling of various IEM, including E500. This is their "shop" on Taobao Auction Site (a site like Ebay in China).

רҵÒôÀÖ¶úÈû-MP3\MP4\iPod\¼Òô±Ê - ÌÔ±¦Íø

Sorry that the whole site is in Simplified Chinese. Actually this may not help since I doubt whether the shop owner knows English at all.

By the way a guy in HongKong sent his E500 to this shop and shown his "result" on Flickr. Flickr: Photos from huangdi5758283

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 15
My se530 cables have cracked around the ears (see attachment.) This is my 3rd replacement and it is is now out of warranty (purchased in Aug 2006.) I am in Korea right now and will probably try sending them to Shure when I go to US in April... I am also considering recabling them with higher quality cables instead.

Are there any good recabling service(s) around?
Also, if I were to do the work myself, what is a good source for high quality wires?

Anybody know of a recabling service in Korea?

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 15
Hi, please let me know how to contact the japanese guy to recable/mod the SE530's. I have been using them for a couple of years and love them.
I saw your post about the mod he did on yours, I'm very impressed.
Thanks a lot!, Victor

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 15
Does anyone have any current info on recabling for SE530s?  I have a new job where I'll be busing to work more than an hour each way and my SE530 cables are busted and out of warranty.  I'd really rather not have them not be $300 earplugs!  

Really appreciate the help guys!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back