Reboot: New impressions of the Ortofon Hd-Q7 Desktop Headphone Amp
Jun 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6
I thought I'd do a reboot of the Ortofon Hd-Q7 Desktop Headphone Amp as it hasn't got much love recently.

I've just put up my impressions of this tiny, yet performance amp and it can be found here :-

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ortofon-hd-q7-desktop-headphone-amplifier

Overall though I must say that this little amp has caught me by surprise as I wasn't expecting anything big out of it but during my impressions, I was comparing it back 'n forth with my Benchmark DAC1 Pre and I actually prefer it to the Benchmark! Granted that Benchmark was probably designed to be more a DAC than a amp out but whilst they've built 2xheadphone jacks, I may as well try it.

The Ortofon Hd-Q7 sounded cleaner, more transparent and crisp. Having said that, the Hd-Q7 was fed by the Benchmark DAC1 too. They seem to have great synergy together.

My headphones are the Fostex TH900's.

Some repeated pix from the review page :-

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 6
I reviewed this amp way back as well. I liked it overall, though wasn't blown away. Much of the price goes into the build quality though, which is top notch. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 6
Ah yes, thanks. I remember reading your review...as a contrast and complement when writing mine. The only thing which I found contrary to your was your comment that it was somewhat U-shaped (of which I mentioned in mine that it was somewhat "neutral"). As such my comment below pretty much in direct reference to your review.

I've further read in other reviews of the Hd-Q7 to be U-shaped. I personally find it's mids to be quite neutral so at least for me, it's not very U-shaped.

For it's price I thought it was quite a decent amp, better than the amp portion of my Benchmark DAC1 Pre. Which was why I was surprised there weren't more ppl interested in it. I'm guessing a few years ago when you had your review, local Japan products were harder to come by internationally but now it's easier as such the "reboot review" of this product.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Where can it be purchased now? I think ALO used to be the only distributor, but they don't carry it anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back