Rebel Amp
Jul 16, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #121 of 305
Just wanted to stop in to say that its been just over 2 years of owning the Rebel Amp and its solid.
Sounds awesome paired with Adi-2 and Cascades, and also with my active Audioengine HD6.

As others have said in this thread, you won't need to look elsewhere for a while if you get one and this definitely reflects my position on it. I don't swap out hardware too often, so this is practically endgame for me.

Attachments

• 20220716_115657.jpg
    20220716_115657.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #123 of 305
Does anyone have experience using this with IEMs? Any noise floor problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 3, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #125 of 305
A European answer to the HeadAmp GS-X mini? The logo at left is almost an upside-down HeadAmp logo. Class A output. Circular vent holes.

I just talked to Yurii Romanek.. He's the CEO of "RebelAmps".

He told me that they are making plenty more, but currently due to high demand they are "sold out".

Is Yurii still with them? I have only dealt with Artem. I thought he was the main guy at Rebel.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #126 of 305
So I just got the Rebel Amp. Traded my Jot 2 for it. Pairing the Rebel with my Bifrost 2 connected to my Mac via USB. Comparing with my Feliks Audio Echo Mk2. The verdict is still inconclusive. Listening with my Aeolus. Definitely sounds more open (brighter?) than my Echo Mk2 and Jot 2 (to my remembrance). Seems more revealing as well which can be good or bad depending on the song being played or headphones used. Gonna try my HD6XX next. Also going from low to medium gain is a big jump in volume.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #127 of 305
So I just got the Rebel Amp. Traded my Jot 2 for it. Pairing the Rebel with my Bifrost 2 connected to my Mac via USB. Comparing with my Feliks Audio Echo Mk2. The verdict is still inconclusive. Listening with my Aeolus. Definitely sounds more open (brighter?) than my Echo Mk2 and Jot 2 (to my remembrance). Seems more revealing as well which can be good or bad depending on the song being played or headphones used. Gonna try my HD6XX next. Also going from low to medium gain is a big jump in volume.
Is the Rebel new or new to you? Give it, like any SS h/p/a, break-in time. You may want to experiment (at same actual volume, not the knob position) with the different gain settings. There can be subtle SQ differences.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #128 of 305
Is the Rebel new or new to you? Give it, like any SS h/p/a, break-in time. You may want to experiment (at same actual volume, not the knob position) with the different gain settings. There can be subtle SQ differences.

It's new to me. As I said I traded my Jot 2 for the Rebel Amp. Does it need warm up time being Class A?

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #129 of 305
It's new to me. As I said I traded my Jot 2 for the Rebel Amp. Does it need warm up time being Class A?
Some are in the camp that Class A should be left on...despite being a power sucker. I had the Rebel and Jot 2 for a while and never noticed a difference between leaving it on 24/7 and turning it on/off. I ultimately decided to keep the Jot 2 because the Rebel sounded a bit dry for my preferences.

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #130 of 305
Some are in the camp that Class A should be left on...despite being a power sucker. I had the Rebel and Jot 2 for a while and never noticed a difference between leaving it on 24/7 and turning it on/off. I ultimately decided to keep the Jot 2 because the Rebel sounded a bit dry for my preferences.
I actually left mine on all weekend. Barely got warm. Still room temperature. Not sure if that had any effect on the sound but it didn't seem to hurt anything. Not sure if the Rebel sounds dry to me but it seems more open sounding compared with the Jot 2.

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #131 of 305

The Rebel is a true class A amp, so leaving it on 24/7 is really quite wasteful. And the output MOSFETs have a negative temperature coefficient, so if there is any effect, it will be that the amp will run deeper bias, have lower distortion, and possibly sound better when *cold*.

TLDR, I really think there is zero benefit to keeping it powered on, or needing significant warmup.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #132 of 305
The Rebel is a true class A amp, so leaving it on 24/7 is really quite wasteful. And the output MOSFETs have a negative temperature coefficient, so if there is any effect, it will be that the amp will run deeper bias, have lower distortion, and possibly sound better when *cold*.

TLDR, I really think there is zero benefit to keeping it powered on, or needing significant warmup.

Well perhaps it's wasteful in terms of using hydro when not being listened to. But when I first turned it on after getting it I didn't really like it. Not sure if leaving it on made any difference or I'm just getting used to the sound but it does sound much better now.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #133 of 305
Well perhaps it's wasteful in terms of using hydro when not being listened to. But when I first turned it on after getting it I didn't really like it. Not sure if leaving it on made any difference or I'm just getting used to the sound but it does sound much better now.

Ditto, took a few days, and I've just left it on ever since. No power button on the front for a reason, if there was maybe I'd use it.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #134 of 305

Assuredly brain burn in. There's really nothing in the design that burns in. And the design is universally accepted to sound better at higher bias, and bias reduces as temperature increases.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #135 of 305
Assuredly brain burn in. There's really nothing in the design that burns in. And the design is universally accepted to sound better at higher bias, and bias reduces as temperature increases.

So if the bias reduces as temperature increases should I not use it for long listening sessions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back