Rebel Amp
Jun 12, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #106 of 305
I've had an issue on my RebelAmp (imbalance). These guys are still assuming after sale service and repair from Ukraine, despite the ****ed up situation over there.

So just a message to underline how great the RebelAudio team is. I hope they stay safe and get back to business after all this.

that is great to know. been loving mine so far

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #107 of 305
I just got a Rebelamp a few days ago. Coming from a JDS Atom, the differences were quite small at first, but the more I listen to the Rebel the more I appreciate it I think. I was mostly listening with an HD580, HD6XX and a Sundara.

I did some A/B tests with both amps volume matched within ~0.1dB. Instruments on the Rebel seem a bit better separated, texture / detail is a bit improved as well, the stage seems to have more forward depth, and theres a stronger sense of punch / dynamics. Somehow the Rebel sounds more "mature" overall, whatever that means. In the future I might put together a setup that allows for proper blind tests though, as I wouldn't expect anyone to believe subjective takes without that.

But even if the differences are real, they are quite small and very much into diminishing returns considering the price of both amps or especially compared to headphone upgrades of a similar cost. I think the differences are there, but they are pretty subtle to me in the grand scheme of things.

I do like the Rebel though, and of course the build quality is vastly superior to that of the Atom. I think I just overestimated how much difference there would be between two decent solid-state amps. Personally I think most people would be better off keeping a Magni or Atom and putting their money towards exploring different headphones first. But once the headphone side is settled, I can see the value in slightly improving things with nicer amps like this.

So overall I like the Rebel and I do think it's an improvement over the Atom, but I think it's worth remembering among all the hype that the difference between decent solid-state amps in general is not that big IMO.

20220617_165240.png

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #108 of 305
yeah i agree that it might be better to put money into headphones first, when equipment is more revealing it makes the differences down the chain more apparent

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #110 of 305
I think I just overestimated how much difference there would be between two decent solid-state amps.
Yeah I’ve made this mistake before. I think of amps as ways to really make my favorite headphones shine, the latter being the real focal point of the sound. I had the same feeling going back and forth between the Atom and Gilmore Lite mkII. It changed the overall feel, but in small ways.

Funny enough, it’s always the small things that set things apart for me. Even just a few inches of perceived soundstage will make a huge difference in how I enjoy music, which is what the RebelAmp did for me coming from the GLmkII. Then if I want a really different sound, I go tubes.

Jun 18, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #112 of 305
I just got a Rebelamp a few days ago.
If you intend on upgrading your DAC and headphones in the future, you are all set with the RebelAmp. It is my favorite and endgame amplifier beating out many of my more expensive amplifiers of my collection. Pairing my RebelAmp with a Schiit Bifrost 2 has especially brought many of my $500 to $1,200 planar magnetic headphones to insane levels of performance. You will certainly be able to appreciate it's capabilities as you acquire more higher end gear.

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #114 of 305
Jul 10, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #115 of 305
Just about every audio equipment maker has increased its product prices. Materials & part supply disruptions, higher labour / transport costs, etc…🤷🏻‍♂️😟

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #116 of 305
i think the price change was late last year, but its free shipping now (i think it used to be 50?)

Jul 10, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #117 of 305
i think the price change was late last year, but its free shipping now (i think it used to be 50?)

But there's still the exchange rate from US to Canadian dollar. That would mean a new one would be $857 before any taxes, shipping or customs fees.

Jul 10, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #118 of 305
But there's still the exchange rate from US to Canadian dollar. That would mean a new one would be $857 before any taxes, shipping or customs fees.

free shipping :wink: so yeah its like $850 CAD + HST (no duty from Ukraine) = $960, last year would have been $805, same as this guy's asking price

(all this math for the same difference of $500 to $660 USD MSRP)

as to whether it's "worth" that $800...everyone has different value preferences. I paid the $800 Canadian and it's my daily driver so it's worth it for me, but it fit into my chain nicely

Jul 10, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #119 of 305
:)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #120 of 305
Thats my amp! $800
1 week old.

If it was 1 or 2 years old and paid $500usd for it, it would be been around $600cdn.
And yes its firm at $800.

Well a bit steep for me. I'll keep an eye out for one at a lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back