Rebel Amp
Nov 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #76 of 300
I've decided I'll try to keep my non-headpone/iem/earbud purchases kind of minimal since I feel like the gains I'd get from super expensive DACs and amps vs. my iFi Black Label would be pretty tiny, and tube amps seem like a whole nother rabbit hole I probably don't want to fall into, but I can't help but wonder if this'd inject my Aeolus with just a bit of extra warmth and intimacy and ROMANCE that would do it some good. Maybe I'll get one and see for myself sometime in the spring. If nothing else, I miss having a huge volume knob lol.

Is this ever on sale?
I know you just said you don’t want to get into tube amps but….even a cheaper OTL amp really does transform the Aeolus’s sound. It does something to the bass that’s hard to put into words.

That being said, the Aeolus pairs well with just about anything. I’d think the Rebel would give it some “bloomier” bass and a more airy/expansive stage if that’s what you’re looking for.

Nov 10, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #77 of 300
I know you just said you don’t want to get into tube amps but….even a cheaper OTL amp really does transform the Aeolus’s sound. It does something to the bass that’s hard to put into words.

That being said, the Aeolus pairs well with just about anything. I’d think the Rebel would give it some “bloomier” bass and a more airy/expansive stage if that’s what you’re looking for.

It's not that I don't want to get into tube amps, I'm just concerned it'd suck my wallet dry, take up all my free time and leave me for dead lol. I'm still very strongly considering trying Tor Audio's Nick or Roger at some point when I'm more financially stable (BH Crack seems great too, but I'm in Europe).

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #78 of 300
It's not that I don't want to get into tube amps, I'm just concerned it'd suck my wallet dry, take up all my free time and leave me for dead lol.
Oh! Yeah, that’s a very healthy concern 😅

I think as long as you don’t get sucked into tube rolling, you’ll be fine. I try to just find a tube combo that works for me and then leave it alone. I have maybe one or two alternate/backup tubes, but that’s it.

That being said, the Rebel Amp has the most tube-like sound I’ve heard out of a solid state. It just doesn’t work that high-impedance magic like a true OTL does on 300-ohm + headphones.

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #79 of 300
Nov 10, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #80 of 300
It's not that I don't want to get into tube amps, I'm just concerned it'd suck my wallet dry…
…and that is why tube amps run on vacuum tubes…😖🤪

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #82 of 300
Thinking about listing my green Rebel amp for sale on the classifieds here. If anyone is interested send me a
pm.
Where are you from and what would you ask for the amp?

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #85 of 300
Is the rebelamp worth the new cost of $660 vs Jot 2 at $400?
At the new cost...could be a tough sell, but also depends on what amp characteristics you're looking for. The Rebelamp may not be as "powerful", but I thought it was noticeably more warm/thick in tone (in a good way) and staged larger than the Jot 2. Not sure what headphones you have, I loved my ZMFs off the Rebelamp, as I think it further accentuates the ZMF house sound.

I may be parting from my Rebelamp whenever I get a chance to take some pictures and list it, but feel free to message me if you're interested in a mint used unit at lower than new cost. Out of the several amps I've been able to acquire and test out this past year, I was most pleasantly surprised by the Rebelamp! I can only keep some though...and the Rebelamp certainly can't drive the Susvara, so it's not getting much use anymore sadly.

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #86 of 300
Is the rebelamp worth the new cost of $660 vs Jot 2 at $400?
I totally agree with @wenbinbin2010's impressions. It's kind of a lot of money compared to the Jot 2, but then again, it's much more easily available. It's also way bigger so won't fit in more compact spaces.

I also loved this amp when I had it, but with only 1 Watt output, it's not the most powerful thing out there, and it also doesn't have balanced inputs and outputs if your system is hooked up that way. But I do think that if you don't need tons of power (pretty much every headphone other than a TC or Susvara will be okay), and are okay using single ended, it's still a great option. Warm, yet detailed sound with a wide soundstage (not a ton of layering though), and very enjoyable sound signature. I really think it's an amp everyone should check out at least once! The Jot 2 (from my very brief impression of it), is punchier and more dynamic, but also a little sharper in the lower treble and more closed in. I can't say how they compare on detail as I've never had them side-by-side.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #87 of 300
At the new cost...could be a tough sell, but also depends on what amp characteristics you're looking for. The Rebelamp may not be as "powerful", but I thought it was noticeably more warm/thick in tone (in a good way) and staged larger than the Jot 2. Not sure what headphones you have, I loved my ZMFs off the Rebelamp, as I think it further accentuates the ZMF house sound.

I may be parting from my Rebelamp whenever I get a chance to take some pictures and list it, but feel free to message me if you're interested in a mint used unit at lower than new cost. Out of the several amps I've been able to acquire and test out this past year, I was most pleasantly surprised by the Rebelamp! I can only keep some though...and the Rebelamp certainly can't drive the Susvara, so it's not getting much use anymore sadly.
Thank you for the feedback.

I am definitely looking for a warmer, thicker sound so it seems like it’s right up my alley. I’m also looking for a punchy, exciting sound with good dynamics and a strong bass presence.

I will be using with a modi multibit and Loki for now, so I can add bass as needed, but I eventually plan on getting an rme adi-2.

My main headphones right now are an ananda and m1570c, so nothing too hard to drive. I see myself eventually trying some ZMF and harder to drive planars eventually, but not too concerned about power for now.

PM me if you ever want to sell, I’m not in a huge rush, but definitely hoping to get my hands on one in the next few weeks or maybe months.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #88 of 300
I totally agree with @wenbinbin2010's impressions. It's kind of a lot of money compared to the Jot 2, but then again, it's much more easily available. It's also way bigger so won't fit in more compact spaces.

I also loved this amp when I had it, but with only 1 Watt output, it's not the most powerful thing out there, and it also doesn't have balanced inputs and outputs if your system is hooked up that way. But I do think that if you don't need tons of power (pretty much every headphone other than a TC or Susvara will be okay), and are okay using single ended, it's still a great option. Warm, yet detailed sound with a wide soundstage (not a ton of layering though), and very enjoyable sound signature. I really think it's an amp everyone should check out at least once! The Jot 2 (from my very brief impression of it), is punchier and more dynamic, but also a little sharper in the lower treble and more closed in. I can't say how they compare on detail as I've never had them side-by-side.

Thank you for your feedback. That makes it a tough call for sure. I’m definitely in the market for a warmer, punchier sound to make my planars (ananda and m1570c) hit a little harder with the dynamics and more filled out/euphonic.

Some better layering and staging capabilities would definitely be welcome too since I do a lot of gaming…but that’s a whole other can of worms… Narrowed it down to jot2 or rebel for now, don’t really want to reconsider adding the singxer sa-1 or flux fa-12s back in there!

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #89 of 300
Thank you for your feedback. That makes it a tough call for sure. I’m definitely in the market for a warmer, punchier sound to make my planars (ananda and m1570c) hit a little harder with the dynamics and more filled out/euphonic.

Some better layering and staging capabilities would definitely be welcome too since I do a lot of gaming…but that’s a whole other can of worms… Narrowed it down to jot2 or rebel for now, don’t really want to reconsider adding the singxer sa-1 or flux fa-12s back in there!
Haha there are too many options these days!

I will say that I LOVED the combo of my Ananda with the Rebel when I had both. The Rebel added some sweetness to the Ananda's midrange, mellowed out the treble just a little, and filled out the bass. It's really a killer combo. The only thing it doesn't do is give you a stronger sense of impact, which isn't what I owned the Ananda for anyway. If you ask me, it brings out its best qualities.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #90 of 300
I see myself eventually trying some ZMF
Just to note. The Jotunheim 2 (low gain switch engaged) sounded better with my ZMF Aeolus over the RebelAmp. My Focal Elegia also sounded better on the Jotunheim 2. Everything else, sounded better on the RebelAmp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back