Rebel Amp
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #92 of 305
OP is right about Class A sound, to my ears, anyway. Wonder how the Rebel compares to my Asgard 2, which is also Class A.
The RebelAmp pairs in the top five amps for almost all of my headphones. The Asgard 3 (I do not own Asgard 2) usually places at the bottom or does not place at all due to poor performance. The one exception is my ZMF Aeolus which the Asgard 3 sounded not good and overly muffled, but paired with the RebelAmp sounded too dull and too polite. So they both did not pair well with that headphone but the Asgard 3 was just a tiny bit less worse.

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #93 of 305
Just to note. The Jotunheim 2 (low gain switch engaged) sounded better with my ZMF Aeolus over the RebelAmp. My Focal Elegia also sounded better on the Jotunheim 2. Everything else, sounded better on the RebelAmp.
Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about the Elegia on the RebelAmp? Or what you liked better about the Jotunheim? Trying to find a good desktop pairing for Elegia and was considering the RebelAmp.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #94 of 305
Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about the Elegia on the RebelAmp? Or what you liked better about the Jotunheim? Trying to find a good desktop pairing for Elegia and was considering the RebelAmp.
Schiit Jotunheim 2 + Focal Elegia = Opened up unrefined (possibly fatiguing to some) sparkly highs, wide open soundstage excellent imaging.
Rebel Audio RebelAmp + Focal Elegia = Overly mellowed highs and blurred resolution.
The Focal Elegia is very amp picky and must be Equalized to sound good. I was successful in using HeSuVi presets for EQ. Additional to the Schiit Jotunheim 2, I also had good luck pairing Elegia with Questyle CMA Twelve. However, I don't think it is worth the money trying piece together a system to squeeze performance out of the Focal Elegia. Most seem to go in the direction of the Dan Clark for closed headphones with better results. I have not. At least not yet. However, if one is intent on using Focal Elegia, the Jotunheim 2 is only $400 and will pair with many future headphone purchases. An amazing amp for the money.
If you go with other headphones, the RebelAmp is a giant slayer and will usually outperform the Jotunheim 2 with most headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #95 of 305
So there are two of these Rebel Amps up for grabs on CAM. One green and one black. Not sure which colour to pick but I have been wanting one for a long time. Right now I have a Schiit Lyr 3 and Bifrost 2 with some alternate tubes coming soon. Headphones are HD6XX and Aeolus.

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #96 of 305
So there are two of these Rebel Amps up for grabs on CAM. One green and one black. Not sure which colour to pick but I have been wanting one for a long time. Right now I have a Schiit Lyr 3 and Bifrost 2 with some alternate tubes coming soon. Headphones are HD6XX and Aeolus.
Why not live with the Lyr 3 + alternate tubes for some time so that you truly know their sonic attributes? After that, who knows…?

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #98 of 305
I'm trying to open the amp but can't figure out how to take the big knob off.
Any idea ?
there's a screw in the side of the knob, you need a hex key

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #101 of 305
just bought this in green. love the colour. looking forward to pairing it with my vc and bf 2

Nice. Did you get it off CAM? I saw a couple for sale a while ago. One black and one green. I should have jumped on one of them.

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #103 of 305
May 13, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #105 of 305
I've had an issue on my RebelAmp (imbalance). These guys are still assuming after sale service and repair from Ukraine, despite the ****ed up situation over there.

So just a message to underline how great the RebelAudio team is. I hope they stay safe and get back to business after all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back