REALLY Need Help !!
Aug 10, 2008 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kmanmx

100+ Head-Fier
I am totally confused in the world of headphones, every moment theres a new amp, and so many contradicting opinions i don't know what to beleive
confused.gif

Anyway, i will be mainly listening to music such as electronica (kind of rave music, night club music) just because i love the energy and rhythm of the music so a headphone that can do this justice is a must, but i also listen to the likes of sting and dire straits. (weird combination, i know
tongue.gif
) So to be able to capture the detail and the warmth of vocals and guitars and drums would also be nice.

I will be using it off my EMU-0404 (creative professional series) soundcard - that has a whole load of non regular outputs for a soundcard, XLR, coax, Digital, 1/4" trs (mono, one left and one right) so i am guessing i could just use a 2x mono to one stereo adapter and plug the headphones into that.

Anyway the setup can either be just headphones if they will run off a soundcard or a headphone and amp. But whatever the combination it needs to be below about £250 (im from the UK).

Thanks!!

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 12
Ok thanks. Well i had the HD650's before - loved them but couldn't afford an amp at the time and them being open made them a little unpractical at the time.

Do the HD600's sound similar to the 650's then ?

I will take that into consideration thanks, but i was looking at the Denon D2000's as a closed alternative, would they suit what i was after ?

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 12
Just so you know, everyone I have heard says that the denon phones are closed but isolate very very little.. but they also sound better than most closed phones. I have no experience with them but I haven't heard otherwise at all. So if you are counting on them for isolation I would look elsewhere (DT770, Q-40, A700, HFI-780, PL-750)

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 12
I found HD650 + HD600 to be little too laid back for techno/club music IMO. They also need good amp + source to shine.

I recommend Audiotechnica A900. Good thump and energy for those type of music.

If you could stretch your budget to 500$ or so, AD2000 (also by audio technica). You should be able to search up several reviews from this forum.

Not my cup of tea, but DT770 (by beyerdynamic) have very deep and heavy bass suited to bass-lovers. However, their bass can get out of control and be too prominent.

I hope that helps!

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found HD650 + HD600 to be little too laid back for techno/club music IMO. They also need good amp + source to shine.

I recommend Audiotechnica A900. Good thump and energy for those type of music.

If you could stretch your budget to 500$ or so, AD2000 (also by audio technica). You should be able to search up several reviews from this forum.

Not my cup of tea, but DT770 (by beyerdynamic) have very deep and heavy bass suited to bass-lovers. However, their bass can get out of control and be too prominent.

I hope that helps!

The speed makes the bolded amenable to techno. The HD650, well-powered, will thump nicely for techno.

Aug 10, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 12
I listen to techno/electro/house/minimal/downtempo/idm/ambient and whatever combination of those you can come up with. I have been really happy with my D2000 and those genres. The D2000's can properly anchor the music with their deep bass and present a clear/balanced presentation throughout. They are perhaps just a bit on the laidback side, which I prefer since it allows you to listen to the music casually and doesn't cause fatigue for a very long time. But it never fails to get me going with the music.

You do need an amp with these, I started off going off my audigy 4pro soundcard, then moved up to a Zero which was a definite upgrade. Then to a X-Can v8 which sound phenomenal and I think I am going to be happy for a while.

Aug 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SONY SA5000 is also very good for the type of music you listen to.

Yes, I use the Sony MDR-SA5000 for electronica, too. The Sennheiser HD-650 is good, as well, but the HD-650 isn't as quick or crisp, and the Sony has deeper lows. Also, the Sony isn't half bad without a dedicated headphone amp. It's worth looking into.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks a bunch guys - i will look into all the headphones mentioned in my price limit
smily_headphones1.gif

My budget really is £230 to £250 though
frown.gif

As mentioned before, how are the A900's unamped for club music (just soundcard) , good bass etc ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back