Really cheap headphone amps
Sep 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

orlyandico

New Head-Fier
I'm going to try amping my decade-old HD495's but I'm cheap. Ten years ago, it was recommended to amp these cans to get best performance (they rated better than SR-60's when amped, but were bested by the Grado's un-amped).  I've decided to go this route rather than get new cans because I'm going to need an amp anyway for anything better than these 495's.

Since I'm cheap..

1) is a CMoy better than one of those ubiquitous Fiio E1 / E3 / E5?

2) I'm thinking of rolling my own using an amp kit from ebay. The kit has Burr-Brown OPA2604's. How do these compare to the Fiios?

3) of the pin-compatible replacements for the OPA2604, which are most recommended? OPA2132, AD826, LM6172 ?

I know the OPA2134 is also pin-compatible and beats them all, but at $25+ each, not exactly something I'd like to try on a whim.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 8
depends on how much exactly you are willing to spend, i would personally recommend the 'indeed' amps sold on e-bay i brought one and it sounds better than my Meier Aria..... if your lucky, try to bid on the low reserve ones, u can get away with 30ish dollars + shipping (which is around $10-20? can't remember)
i reckon it's well worth the money, although i have not heard Cmoy amps to compare....

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Alas those Indeeds are all in the $80 - $100 range now (quick ebay check).

Anyway I bought a 12AU7-based tube preamp from arjenhelder. I'm planning to use it to drive my TriPath.. but can it be used as a headphone amp? (I also got five 12AU7 tubes cheap, so maybe I'll DIY a tube headphone amp instead).

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 8
A good Cmoy is nothing to be sneezed at and definitely a step up from a Fiio E5. This one is one of the best bang-for-your-buck portable amplifier deals around right now. Check the reviews! 

If you don't feel like spending the moolah you can always try to find a DIY'er on Head-Fi that can build you one according to the specs of that particular one on Ebay. Good luck!

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 8
OPA2134 is considered an "entry level" op amp for CMoys and sells for $3.50

For me, LT1364CN8 is almost perfect for CMoy but you will have to have
a good design as it is a fast amp and could give you trouble with a poorly
designed or constructed CMoy. If you have a design a little more advanced
than a CMoy then there are other op amps that are even better but not
suitable for CMoy.

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 8
I always believed it wasn't about a specific opamp but about the integration of the parts as a whole. Thus, an entry-level opamp can potentially sound as good as, or even better, than a more expensive one. If integrated effectively, that is. Do correct me if I'm wrong. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 8
Thats true to some extent.

A badly integrated LT1364 will sound worse than a
well designed OPA2134, but a well designed amp
will bring the best out in many different op amps.
In this case it will be apparent that higher speed
op amps will sound better than more pedestrian
op amps like OPA2134. Please don't think I am
bashing the OPA2134, It's a great chip for beginner
designs as it is very forgiving.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Gay, there are Bravos around for bids starting at 0.01cent..... they're basically the same... the difference comes in slightly better parts in the indeed...

Quote:
Alas those Indeeds are all in the $80 - $100 range now (quick ebay check).

Anyway I bought a 12AU7-based tube preamp from arjenhelder. I'm planning to use it to drive my TriPath.. but can it be used as a headphone amp? (I also got five 12AU7 tubes cheap, so maybe I'll DIY a tube headphone amp instead).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back