Realalisticly, how important is high school...
Mar 13, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #92 of 157
Highschool is important. Without it, you can't learn how to spell "realistically".
icon10.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #94 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
The chap became a thief
plainface.gif

frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
Highschool is important. Without it, you can't learn how to spell "realistically".
icon10.gif

I thought the title looked weird.
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #95 of 157
school is like the only thing teenagers have to focus on. If they mess up school, then they will mess up their foundations for life. Just prepare yourself for a future career working at Mcdonalds.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #96 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
school is like the only thing teenagers have to focus on. If they mess up school, then they will mess up their foundations for life. Just prepare yourself for a future career working at Mcdonalds.
biggrin.gif

Not true. I know some HS dropouts and the like who still make a decent living. (but only in the realm of "getting by") There's always GEDs and community college if people are up to it. There are a lot of second chances, which is good.

Besides, there are worse things to worry bout than just school: family/social troubles, fighting, bullying, love, money, etc. Half my friends came from lower-middle class single parent homes, so they had their own stuff to handle back in the day. Some got pregnant during HS, others started selling drugs, a few just plain disappeared, a handful died in gang fights, you know. I personally didn't even technically graduate, had to go to summer school. It was my own fault though, I got tired of all that crud and wanted to drop out. Everday I had to deal with bullies, elitist arseholes, depression, physical ailments, biased teachers, friends who weren't really, skinheads who would've jumped me if my boys weren't waiting in the shadows, and every single negative stereotype of every color, creed, and whatever. Plus my sister just kicked us out of *our* house senior year and we were forced to live in piece of crap apt filled with khmer bloods. (luckily we saved some money and found a nicer place soon after) Now we live in an attic apt. I still think overall, I had it easy compared to others round here.

I go to community college now, am I'm doing okay. Just trying to keep my gpa up so I can transfer to a four year, I'm glad I have financial aid to help back me up.
tongue.gif
I can't do that "disregard everything schooling thing", just trying to have as much fun as I can while not spiraling down to hell. I just wanna be able to know that if I died tomorrow, I'd know I lived, and others did too.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #97 of 157
I know what you mean about growing up on the wrong side of the tracks. Where I come from most people are struggling just to become "lower middle class." My family was not well off either, but we got by and I was lucky that my parents took an interest in my education and never let me quit. I wasn't even allowed to get a part time job in high school because it would interfer with my schoolwork, though I'm sure that they would have appreciated the extra income. But it all paid off, I did graduate from a university and am now in grad school.

There are many stories of people who dropped out of college or high school and have made a good life for themselves. But these stories are very few and are the exception not the norm. Maybe it's the way that I was raised but I find education very important. College and grad school may not be for everyone, but I think everyone should at least strieve for a high school degree.

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #99 of 157
"Realalisticly, how important is high school..."

Realistically, I'd recommend it highly.

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #100 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
"Realalisticly, how important is high school..."

Realistically, I'd recommend it highly.

After he finishes his stint in Juvie that is. Good catch by Pank to see that he's done a bit of thievery on head-fi since he posted the first post.

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #101 of 157
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Not true. I got expelled from high school and did horribly in many classes. I caused all sorts of problems and got arrested on numerous occasions. Fortunately I have a decent brain, so I did well enough on the math portion of my SATs to get into the engineering program at Rutgers University. Within 1 semester I realized I didn't want to be an engineer and that I didn't want to be the little troublemaker I was in high school. I became a philospohy/political science/history major, ended up with a 3.9 GPA, and went off to Columbia Law School after breezing through the LSATs. Got my JD in 96' and worked for 6 years as a an M&A attorney. I now live a very normal life with a wonderful wife and child. I manage multiple large businesses and employ hundreds of people. I don't encourage people to take the path I did, but it all worked out for me.

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #102 of 157
Quote:

Not true. I got expelled from high school and did horribly in many classes. I caused all sorts of problems and got arrested on numerous occasions.

only enough room for one guy like tht around here and since I was here first........

[size=x-small]MODS ![/size]

Take care of this guy for me will ya ?

very_evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #104 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Not true. I got expelled from high school and did horribly in many classes. I caused all sorts of problems and got arrested on numerous occasions. Fortunately I have a decent brain, so I did well enough on the math portion of my SATs to get into the engineering program at Rutgers University. .

how well you did on the english SAT?

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #105 of 157
Quote:

how well you did on the english SAT?

If I recall, I scored a 1400, w/ a 780 on math and 620 on English... but that was many years ago and was also during my childhood days of substance abuse. I did much better on the LSATs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back