Realalisticly, how important is high school...
Mar 11, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #76 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Which does make me wonder how the original poster is doing. Hopefully everything turned out well.

Best,

-Jason

yup; guess i should have glanced at the date
smily_headphones1.gif
anyway, OP if you're not presently taking my advice i'm going to come down to the CC your still plodding through and kick your butt!!

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #78 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren20
I havent gotten back my final grades yet, but it looks like i am going to have to repeat two clases.
rolleyes.gif
i know its my fault and all, so please dont give me that. but seriously, if i do ok to bad in high school do i still have a chance.

If you are bored in reading this dont go on.
wink.gif

here is what i am planning to do, please give me your thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

when i get out of HS, i will be a senior this fall, i plan to go to a community college where i will aim for a 4.0. my english teacher and me had a long talk about this. he said he recommends taking it easy for a year of two out of HS, earn some money, do whatever. well i plan on going to a comminity college, getting my 2 year degre and then moving on to a bigger university. i want to go to the community for 2 reasons...

1. i dont think i have the grades to right away go to a bigger university.

2. i want to take it a little easy, earn some money, and get good grades.

I posted this here because i know there are many honest, repectful adults here that will help me, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: if i spell any thing wrong, which i know i did, ignore it.
tongue.gif

Im basically high right now on my medicinee.
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif

*pukes*

yeah, high school in itself is not important. if you kick ass in a community college, you still have a good chance to get into a top-tier university. seriously, you would have a great chance if you get all A's and score high on entrance exams. HOWEVER, those that do poorly in high school are severely disadvantaged simply because they've never adopted to the type of thinking required to get good grades. i've never seen a goof off in high school pull off what you are planning to do (i had a reunion, and dumbasses from my past remained dumbasses. some make good dough though, but not doing anything remotely academic... ie, Green Bay football). but i have seen friends of mine from university get D's and F's for the first two years and almost get kicked out, then turn around 180 degrees and get all A's and near perfect LSAT (law school test) scores and get into Notre Dame law school on a 100% FULL ride (that's pretty darn good if you don't know).

so, yes, you definitely still "have a chance." however, you need to understand the level of commitment you will have to put forward simply to catch up. you're just gonna have to bust your ass. in other words, if you aren't willing to bust your ass, you can give up now.

edit:::just read this thread is 3 years old. um, mclaren, hope you're doing well man.

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #79 of 157
During my first 3 years of high school I slacked around and got by with B's and C's, when I got to my senior year I decided to try a bit and got 4.0 both semesters.

Good thing I did that because I got into U of A and let me tell you, I wish I had tried earlier on because I'm in Calc and my Algebra skills aren't the best. I had a huge crash course in Algebra while doing calc homework 3-4 hours a day.

It takes alot of work but it's worth it.

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #80 of 157
Quote:

edit:::just read this thread is 3 years old. um, mclaren, hope you're doing well man

well unless he knuckled down and did the right thing he is probably too tired to even respond to this thread after sweeping then mopping all those floors for $8/Hr
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #81 of 157
Quote:

well unless he knuckled down and did the right thing he is probably too tired to even respond to this thread after sweeping then mopping all those floors for $8/Hr

Or maybe he has turned himself around, and study very hard and had a perfect grade. Best of luck man. Let us know how are things..

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #82 of 157
BTW-there was a time when you did not need an education to survive as long as you were not a total idiot,had a good work ethic and had a trade in demand anywhere but that is no longer the case.
here in the U.S. if you plan on making a living outside of getting a good education you better look around and see there is no longer any entry point into the trades except at the owner/manager level because all the slots that formerly were available to LEARN that trade,the apprentice stage,have all been gobbled up by full grown undocumented slave labor.even the simple act of a 12 year old shoveling snow for loot has been taken over by MEN with shovels.

No child can compete head to head with a full grown man just like no clueless inexperienced teenager can compete in the blue collar world with those same adults because they are without skills while the others have them and will work for peanuts and never b*tch.

When was the last time you seen any construction on TV (housing boom on the finance channels,Katrina recovery on the news channels) that ALL the workers were not immigrants and to be honest,likely illegals as well ?

get the education or compete even for that floor cleaning job for very little pay that to be honest you will lose any shot at anyway in a head-to-head competition with a highly motivated undocumented alien who is not afraid of hard work and will in another twenty years or so be the one hiring the next wave of cheap labor

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #83 of 157
*EDIT- BAH JUST NOTICED THIS WAS 3YRS OLD, leaving info, maybe someone else will listen*

Here is my view, im 26, and back in school going after a 4yr.

BUT, if you have screwed off in high school enough, that you have no hope of getting scholarships, might as well take it easy and finish up high school however way you want to. Once done with high school here is my suggestion. Work for 1 year. Work outside, or in a plant, or someplace really crappy. Live at home while doing it that way you do not get into a financial sticky place.

Now after working a crap job for 1 year you will see why school is important. It took me to long to do this and realize. You will be more determined, more hardcore about school if you see what your life will be like if you don't get a good job. You truelly never understand until you do it.

Some people are self motivated. These are the people who make A's in high school, get accepted to a good college, and go through it right out of high school, finish, and get a good job. But if you were like me, I breezed through HS making B's and C's because I could make A's on the test and not do any other homework or open a book.

High school means jack in reality. You can rebound from crap high school grades, but its hard. When I say hard, your going to go into college with no clue what your getting into. I didn't. I had never studied, never worked hard in school. Now I'm studying all the time, doing all my homework, busting my arse. But now I am FULLY motivated, but only because I worked some crap jobs making nothing, and realized I am not going to get anywhere in life if I didn't get off my arse and get a degree.

Basically, screw off in high school at this point if you want to, don't worry about it. Get a crap job for a year. Then go back to school, and work hard, busting arse, and blow it away.

You don't want to be like me, looking like I'll be 29 when I finish my 4yr degree. You could work for a year and still be done by the time your 24-25.

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #84 of 157
I'm following my brother's footsteps.(high school wise) He slacked off during HS, getting an 85 average but they added 5 points b/c it was a science specialized school. He went to Howard for a year, hated his major and the college. He took a year off, and went to CUNY, and he is now a major in both Physics and Chemistry and a minor in math. Wow, and boy did he hated Chem in highschool, got like a 2 in the AP Chem test and a 65 in that class. He is a lot different than he was in highschool, studies like for 6hrs or more straight. He hangs out w/his friends on Fridays so his social life is stable. From what I know at this point he is accepted to UC Davis, and Northwestern University He didn't get accepted to Harvard.
biggrin.gif
He is going to Northwestern!(one of the 20 for his major/s for grad) Now in my exp: Middle school-I never studied for anything, I did my hw, but never studied for tests and what not still ended up w/a mid 90 average and the same for freshman year till sophmore year. Wow, junior year really was a wake up call. I am doing a bit better currently in senior year. I'm majoring as a graphic designer, and I'm still currently in the middle of doing my home tests for FIT(most likely where I would go to) Hopefully I'll transfer out soon, since I really don't want to stay in the city.
(sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes)

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #88 of 157
Is high school important?

Very much so. I slacked off during high school and now I have to do a whole schpeel of upgrading to get into a respecatble program. Fortunately I mangaged to get a diploma at a community college, but if I ever want to get to university...well, that'll be a dilly of a pickle.

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #90 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Which does make me wonder how the original poster is doing. Hopefully everything turned out well.

Best,

-Jason

The chap became a thief
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back