Realalisticly, how important is high school...
Mar 20, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #151 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
College is an equal failure. I am constantly amazed at how little most college students can think and reason, but some of these students can spit times/dates/names faster than a computer. They can't write above a grade school level, either, but those 3.5 and 4.0 GPA's sure do look purdy...

I have never met a 3.5-4.0 grad who can't write above grade school level. I have gone to school in the US and Canada...maybe I've simply encountered people who attended better institutions than you have?

Obviously you are making broad generalizations. University is all about learning how to learn. I've been to my fair share of schools to know that this is not isolated to a handful of select institutions. Post-secondary may not be for everyone but it certainly is not useless. In my experience I've met far more close minded less knowledgable people who are "uneducated" than I have who are "educated." That doesn't mean that this is some golden rule, but it is my experience. I've also met some wonderful thinkers who dropped out of school at grade 10 and others who have a bachelor degree who are not able to reason very well. However, one point must be clear, there are different forms of intelligence and university caters to but a few of them, other forms of life education caters to others. Reasoning in the common use of the term is often using but one form of intelligence. My wife is very book smart, but is not a "quick on her feet" thinker. She can't reason very well for many common tasks/problems but she exhibits extraordinary intelligence in other areas of life. If the college one attends doens't do it for you, search out one that does. From a polytechnical to a liberal arts to a full on graduate university. The US offers something for everyone.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #152 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
Lamest conversation ever.
tongue.gif

Exactly. One can't hope for detailed intelligent conversations when one doesn't know the basics.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #153 of 157
So to answer the thread topic, high school is very important, but the education system could use some major tweaking?

discuss...

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #154 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
So to answer the thread topic, high school is very important, but the education system could use some major tweaking?

discuss...

That gets to the meat quick and easy. I agree, there isn't much in this world that couldn't use some tweaking.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #155 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
How important is high school? VERY VERY important. In this day and age, all you are are your records, and your resume. No one knows you from Adam, you will judged by your records which are reflected in things like grades. Once established, they don't go away, those D's don't magically turn into B's, they'll still be there when you go to apply to major university. If your record doesn't make the cut, there are a million more to choose from.

High school is your job, as a teenager, it's the only thing you HAVE to do. By blowing off school, you are establishing a very bad pattern and developing bad work habits that will not serve you in good stead the older you get. Lets face it, high school is easy, they don't hardly ask you to do anything at all. You'll never have it that easy again. What does it say about you that you could not be relied on to even meet the most basic requirements of high school? Why would I want to hire someone with no record of ever working hard, and in fact shows a dis-inclination to work? Based on what you've said, and the attitudes you've expressed, it sounds like you are in danger of setting out on the wrong path.

If you won't do it now, when there is no pressure on you, no distractions, why do you think you'll be able to earn 4.0s later, when the assignments are much harder and more demanding?

Earn some money how? Do you have skills that will bring in enough money for you to have some saved up? Will you be living at home?

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you asked for opinions.

Mark

Why do kids believe what they learn in school is useless, or just about grades? If they thought positive for once instead about how useless there crap history is (which as a fact probably will come in useful later in life in a conversasion, making you look intelligent if you study it properly). Oh well, I'm not going to start a flamewar, but kids and there opinion on school just drives me nuts.
Ah! Somebody else mentioned intelligent conversasions. If everytime we talked about a refrigerator, or a microwave or sometihng, if we even talked about thermaldynamics half the time, or chemistry, I would be so happy. I bet 80-90% of people who buy refrigerators know the littlest about phase changes, how a refrigerator works (compressor, etc) and thermaldynamics. I love having intelligent conversasions, it makes you feel great I think.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #156 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I have never met a 3.5-4.0 grad who can't write above grade school level. I have gone to school in the US and Canada...maybe I've simply encountered people who attended better institutions than you have?

Obviously you are making broad generalizations. University is all about learning how to learn. I've been to my fair share of schools to know that this is not isolated to a handful of select institutions. Post-secondary may not be for everyone but it certainly is not useless. In my experience I've met far more close minded less knowledgable people who are "uneducated" than I have who are "educated." That doesn't mean that this is some golden rule, but it is my experience. I've also met some wonderful thinkers who dropped out of school at grade 10 and others who have a bachelor degree who are not able to reason very well. However, one point must be clear, there are different forms of intelligence and university caters to but a few of them, other forms of life education caters to others. Reasoning in the common use of the term is often using but one form of intelligence. My wife is very book smart, but is not a "quick on her feet" thinker. She can't reason very well for many common tasks/problems but she exhibits extraordinary intelligence in other areas of life. If the college one attends doens't do it for you, search out one that does. From a polytechnical to a liberal arts to a full on graduate university. The US offers something for everyone.

I work at a college (transfer evaluation dept and have seen students from all over the US) and have spoken to several hundred students with very high GPA's that don't seem to be able to read simple english, and comprehend even less. Trust me, you'd be shocked, but it is what it is. I never grasped just how inadequate the education system was, but I sure do now. Again, making generalizations is a must in the education system. If you believe you need to learn how to learn at the university level, you have helped prove my point about high school.

familyman, good summation and a fair assessment.

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #157 of 157
My life

years 3-15 goto school

15-17 skip school and drop out

17-21 join the army and exit with a good discharge

22 im in college posting on head-fi during class ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back