Ready to get some low/mid-fi portable iem's or over the ear's......which ones??? ( < $100)
Oct 6, 2012 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ReDDs3D

Head-Fier
So I'm working my way up the audiophile ladder and I got enough funds to get another pair. I'm not ready to dish out lots of money just yet on head gear :) but I'm getting there.

I'm basically looking for PORTABLE head gear, whether it be iem's or over the head (I prefer these since I already have enough iem's and only 1 pair of over the ear which is the is JVC Harx-900, and well...I've kinda given up on those (no bass, and fatiguing highs, they're just not pleasing...)).

I'll be making this my "overall" pair of cans, so I'll not only be using them around campus, but also at home, for gaming, etc, so a pair of good all rounders would be nice....

I'm hoping to spend less than $100, and I want an all rounding sound pair (one that's good for more than just music as well eg. Battlefield 3 and weekly episodes of breaking bad :p). I do like emphasized tight bass, but not too much either.

In terms of music, I really listen to everything, but jazz, nu-jazz, electronic and alternative & post-rock are probably my most popular genres. 

So far I've been looking at vsonic GR04's, sony XB-500, koss porta-pros. But I haven't researched enough either :S

Thanks!!!! :)

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 28
Have a look at the Etymotic MC5 IEM also.

A great IEM that costs about 50 bucks, has a 2 year warranty, and can be tuned to your liking with the... NRB Mod

Cheers, Jim

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 28
If in Canada the Sony XBA3 are sale for $99 which is a heck of a price for a triple balanced armature IEM. Sale end on Sunday though, three days only.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 28
The Hippo VB is a good under $100 IEM and you can change the bass with the interchangeable bass ports.  I like the balanced ones (they have no dots, the enhanced bass has 2 and extreme bass has 3 dots) and they still have a really good amount of bass that's tight with good depth.  The highs are crisp and good detail in the midrange with a good soundstage.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 28
I think Yamaha EPH-100 would be good if you can max out to $115 through Audio Affair. Or....Turbines on amazon for $79.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 28
The Yamis are dead... Not worth 15 bucks, much less 115.

Have a look a the Yami failure thread.

Jim

I think Yamaha EPH-100 would be good if you can max out to $115 through Audio Affair. Or....Turbines on amazon for $79.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 28
Good Advice...

If in Canada the Sony XBA3 are sale for $99 which is a heck of a price for a triple balanced armature IEM. Sale end on Sunday though, three days only.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 28
Yes, I have read it from top to bottom...

So why would you recommend them to anyone?

Just curious, Jim

I was apart of that thread and the on going problem some users experience. :smile: H20Fidelity

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
The Yamis are dead... Not worth 15 bucks, much less 115.
Have a look a the Yami failure thread.
Jim

What are you talking about, a few people having problems with them doesn't mean there dead.  Look at the TF10's they've had more problems than the EPH-100 and people still buy thoughs.  I was one that had an issue with mine it only happened once, I sold them (not because of any problem with them just didn't listen to them much anymore) and the person that bought them has had no problems at all.  Have you ever owned the EPH-100, wait I know the answer NO because you only listen to Etymotic so please don't comment on an IEM you don't know about as they're well worth $115 imo.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 28
Yes, I have read it from top to bottom...
So why would you recommend them to anyone?
Just curious, Jim

Because, I feel they fit the OP's criteria regardless of the problem. My beef in the Yamaha EPH-100 thread wasn't so much about the product itself but to prove more than 10 people had experienced it within the threads birthing which other members tried to write off as invalid.

Anyway, let's put our police officer questioner hats away shall we. :p

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 28
IMO, they are not worth 115. Perhaps you could explain why you think they are worth that.

Jim

PS I would not take a chance with them.

What are you talking about, a few people having problems with them doesn't mean there dead.  Look at the TF10's they've had more problems than the EPH-100 and people still buy thoughs.  I was one that had an issue with mine it only happened once, I sold them (not because of any problem with them just didn't listen to them much anymore) and the person that bought them has had no problems at all.  Have you ever owned the EPH-100, wait I know the answer NO because you only listen to Etymotic so please don't comment on an IEM you don't know about as they're well worth $115 imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back