READ THIS: Serious flaws in ipod classic
Oct 21, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #286 of 320
So far so good for my 80gb Classic in black,no real issues as of yet.
plainface.gif

so far,

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #288 of 320
It may just be an issue of setup differences. My 4G iPod (click-wheel) LO sounds dramatically better through SM3v3 > HD580's than my 160GB Classic.
frown.gif
I keep trying to convince myself that it isn't so, but it is... and there's no getting around it in my setup. I'm now considering an 80GB iMod instead....
tongue.gif
...I would wait for my 4G to die, but I'm afraid there won't be any NIB 80GB's left to iMod by the time that happens...
blink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #289 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektrograf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may just be an issue of setup differences. My 4G iPod (click-wheel) LO sounds dramatically better through SM3v3 > HD580's than my 160GB Classic.
frown.gif
I keep trying to convince myself that it isn't so, but it is... and there's no getting around it in my setup. I'm now considering an 80GB iMod instead....
tongue.gif
...I would wait for my 4G to die, but I'm afraid there won't be any NIB 80GB's left to iMod by the time that happens...
blink.gif

hrm thats interesting i thought i remember reading that the 4G sq < then the 5G

but then i forget how subjective this whole hobby can be.

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #290 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't rearly have much to add but the 0.1DB treble boost is rearly nothing and will not be noticable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel read
smily_headphones1.gif

Read the bottom of my page for scientific backed-up input on audibility of 0.1dB. Also see that the 0.1dB is AFTER curve smoothing, and that pictures with no curve smoothing show > 0.5dB over a very wide frequency range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do people rearly buy ipod's on sound quality? the included headphones should be indication of how much apple cared about the sound quality.

1. You can use other headphones with the iPod.
2. About all devices like this is sold with bad headphones
3. I'm more surprised by the step backwards in sound quality w.r.t. the 5.5G. It was pretty OK, and now it has worsened.

Marc

Oct 30, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #292 of 320
It's easy to find out for yourself if .1 dB is audible or not. Just go into a two channel audio program, like Peak, and do some volume boosts and see where your "just noticeable difference" threshold is.

I've done this and with a tone, I can barely hear a boost of .8. With classical music that has some dynamics to it, it's a lot harder... around 2 dB.

See ya
Steve

Oct 30, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #293 of 320
for headphone out sound quality, i think the 6th gen really good. much better than the 4th gen i have.

anybody here has some hard disk noise problem? i have
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268081

and as for lineout, i don't think there's too much difference between the ipod i have. of course, except the harddisk noise.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #295 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no SQ issue with the classic imo. I just got one, skeptical as can be, and it sounds great. My hearing is great. If there were issues I'd catch them. There aren't any, end of story.

Well, I guess that settles it then!
rolleyes.gif

It all depends on what you call "issues". There are most definitely differences in the sound between the 5/5.5G and the Classic. To me, those differences make the Classic sound "bad" (i.e. worse). While I'm not going to debate such a subjective opinion with anyone, to state that the matter is closed because your magical golden ears tell you so is a bit presumptuous. Do you have the 5.5G to compare and honestly prefer the sound of the Classic?

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #296 of 320
anyone care to compare sound qualities with Classic vs. 5g or 5.5g using an amp like Hornet, Portaphile, Xin, etc??? I've reportedly heard the Classic might even sound better than a 4g Imod but nothing on the two with amplification

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #298 of 320
The classic deifinatly sounds better than the 5.5 with e500's out of the headphone jack IMHO. More detailed and a bigger sound stage, and when you go to the top of the volume it doesn't "strain" ie loose some low end like the 5.5 or the touch. This is my second classic, I don't know if my first was defective (it sounded thinner and more congested) or different firmware ?, but this one sounds excellent. I can't wait to amp it.

Also it's dead quiet with my shures, which I can't say with my touch and 5.5.

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #299 of 320
Since the e500 are a little soft on top, and the Classic is a little crisp sounding, this is actually a pretty good pairing.

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #300 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the e500 are a little soft on top, and the Classic is a little crisp sounding, this is actually a pretty good pairing.

Yes Sir !!! a very good synergy, PB&J, tubbs and crocket, tom cruise and craziness, angelina jolie and me
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back