READ THIS and get a superb headphone for $16.99
Dec 9, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #302 of 366
Mine were supposed to be delivered this past Friday, but UPS couldn't find my townhouse (after delivering a multitude of packages to me here for three years...). They finally arrived today.

I guess I got lucky. No mold or fungi. The pads are ok (although, I'd like to have a back-up pair). The only thing I probably need to replace is the black foam cover over the drivers which is no big deal. BTW, the drivers are fine and these things have absolutely no business sounding so fine for $20. I'm not kidding, they are blowing my mind...

eek.gif

Dec 9, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #303 of 366
Today I received my JVC 990 fungus edition and I am keeping them. Let me explain.

After all the debate and pictures I was totally sure my headphones would be in such a terrible condition that I will have to ship them immediately. This morning I received them and while they are not perfect, they are fixable (in fact. I’ve already finished fixing them).

Mine arrived in a broken box, leaking the stuffing foamy thing used for packing, the headphone box was crunched and full of ^%$& but the headphones were clean!!!

There is one side of the headphone that is intact, in the other side the foam that covers the driver was kind of sticky and the bowl was not as shinny as it should (im sure the guys who had the jvc with heavy fungus know what I mean..)

I decided to remove the pads and try to remove the sticky foam in one piece and avoid particles falling in the drivers. I removed the pads and clean all the sticky residue, 5 minutes later I had both sides clean as new, I installed the foam form a cheapo headphones to cover the driver and done !!! look new.

Right now they are burning in, I am using some Laurent Garnier (the most bassy music I could find) and I will let them burn for 3 days, after that I will post my impressions.

i did a 5 min listening and they sound great, no distorsions at any volume, the highs could drill my ears and the bass is nice, i like them !!!!!!!!!!! very much
smily_headphones1.gif

m.

Dec 9, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #304 of 366
Glad to hear a happy ending.

Dec 9, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #305 of 366
Hi RickG,

I just got mine today, too. No mold, no fungi. Why do I feel ripped off?
mad.gif
wink.gif
The foam were eatened away, but I have to agree with you RickG..... Quote:

"...these things have absolutely no business sounding so fine for $20. I'm not kidding, they are blowing my mind..."

My initial impressions are that they sound better than my Senn. HD280Pro's. So for another $30 for replacement pads+$25 originally for the JVC 990's=$55. Still sounds like a good deal to me!

Dec 9, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #306 of 366
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Hi RickG,

I just got mine today, too. No mold, no fungi. Why do I feel ripped off?
mad.gif
wink.gif
The foam were eatened away, but I have to agree with you RickG.....
My initial impressions are that they sound better than my Senn. HD280Pro's. So for another $30 for replacement pads+$25 originally for the JVC 990's=$55. Still sounds like a good deal to me!

puppyslugg-

I've just had my order approved for the new pads. Should have them in just a few days.

sacd lover, I've got to give you credit for recognizing the potential for these "low cost" phones. They sound so good, I'm sincerely questioning some more expensive purchases I've made...

Dec 10, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #307 of 366
Puppyslugg, I am glad this ordeal turned out to someones liking. Clearly some phones were in much better condition than others. I listened carefully to all the phones I HAD NOT ALREADY SENT OUT(7); and I am keeping three.
One tip: I noticed certain phones sounded thin, IF YOURS SOUND THIN THERES A PROBLEM. These should sound rich and powerful when they are working correctly. It could have been the pads as the best sounding ones had the least deteriorated pads, but it seemed to be more than that, as I removed the interior pad material from some and they still sounded good.
One possible bit of good news is, once you get new pads they sound even better; I lost a slight emphasis of sibilants thats evident to me with the deteriorated pads. I compaired them to my old pair of jvcs, and also switched the new pads on a couple of the Etronics jvcs, and this was apparent to me every time. In any event, even if the new pads dont sound any better to you, the new pads certainly wont sound worse.

Dec 10, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #310 of 366
Mekanoplastik, I did the same as you and glued foam on the pad to cover the driver. IT DOESNT WORK. You loose bass and the highs become noticeably more sibilant. Your comment about the highs drilling holes in your ears is like what I heard when I did that. The pad doesnt seal like its supposed to and you definately loose bass response. These sound much better with the correct earpad. They are fuller, richer and the treble smooths out . With the correct amount of bass the dynamics have much more slam and extension as well. Invest in some new pads, you will be glad you did.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #311 of 366
sacd lover:

When I first received the phones, I listened to them to see if the drivers were ok. Even with pieces of foam missing, I was surprised how good they sounded right out of the chute. With new pads, and few more hours of break-in....can't wait!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #312 of 366
Dokebi, it could be the pad used, but your description sounds like the other driver was damaged too. These phones have a full powerful tonal balance. The right pad makes a huge difference though. The pad loads the driver somehow with a tight seal; just putting foam backing on the pad looks the same but sounds vastly different. After I modded the pads I thought I had it. WRONG! Bass balance and overall tonal balance were both to thin. In fact, the highs may sound to bright partly because of the drop in bass respose, although I clearly heard more sibilance. By the way, Clapton is on the way usps priority mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back