RE2 recommended upgrade?
Jun 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

maudit

New Head-Fier
Hello from me, long time reader & long time lurker as well (since 2005 actually )...
Anyhow.. Around a year or so I came to head-fi to ask what would be a decent upgrade from sennheiser PMX200, Lots of people recommended the RE2s.

This time around, I would like to know what would be a decent upgrade path considering the following:
1. Isolation(passive): Even though the doble flanged silicone tips from the RE2 isolate, I would like something that isolates a bit more if possible.
2. Better Build quality ( and quality control, as these RE2 are infamous for one side going soft/mute).
3. Better sound quality obviously.
4. $100ish? I'm willing to spend more, but I really don't want to buy a pair of IEM that require amping, aka portable hardware must be able to drive them.
5. Source will probably be Creative X-Fi 2 and/or iPhone 3GS and probably add cmoy amp (eventually).
6. IEMs.

I'd like to emphasize on build quality, even though the RE2 sound great, they just feel cheap and not durable.

PS. I'd like to add, that even though I had bad experience with first pair of RE2, Head-direct Customer support(aka Fang) is superb and RMA was a breeze. I considered the RE0, BUT, if the build quality is similar to that of the RE2, then no.
Also my headphones History ( just in case..):
Random altec lansing over the ear headphones -> PMX200 -> Creative EP630 (which sound horrible compared to the PMX200) -> RE2s

Edit: Forgot to add, I like the analytical sound of the RE, cold so to say, no over the top bass, warm sounds just "feel" like they have much less detail.

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 17
The RE0 is built better than the RE2. It's metal, not plastic, and has a proper (soft) strain relief. I am also assuming that your RE2 is part of the original batch with the plasticky cables. The cords on late-version RE0s are softer and a little nicer than those on my old RE2s. Also the RE0 is sealed-back and isolates more than the RE2 with well-sealing tips. Honestly you won't find anything better with an analytical signature for $100 IMO. It's the logical upgrade to the RE2.

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 17
Hmmm I guess, I could give head direct another shot. And yeah I had the first batch were they even removed the metal spliter.

Anyone have new shots of the most recent batches of RE0s? Approximately when they started giving cardboard packaging instead of the nice leather one?

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 17
Actually the cardboard packaging is from revision 2, which is the one with the nylon cable. Current RE0s are rev.3 and come in a plastic box. There's photos in the looong RE0 thread.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 17
I've had the rev.3 RE2 for about two months now. I listen to them daily at work. The bass has come in a bit and it sounds much better after it broke in over regular usage. Also what helped a little (not dramatic but noticed a little difference in bass) is I pulled back the glued on mesh and pulled the little foam thing up closer to the opening instead of deeper down near the speaker. Then I just put the mesh back over, it was still sticky so I didn't have to use a new one.

I like these but haven't tried too many other "better" IEMs to compare to.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 17
I was browsing the forum and found about 2 things
1. RE0 quality control is/was bad like the initial batch of RE2 days...
2. etymotic HF5 and Klipsh S4?

How would the HF5 fair against the re0? I don't mind the price difference as the Etys provide better isolation and from what i've read better build/durability.  The more i read the more I lean towards the HF5, though I can't find a HF5 vs RE0 thread, I just don't want to go through another international (International buyer) RMA ordeal like I did with my first pair of RE2s. (Though RMAing is just a breeze with Head-direct, it's the time and money spent...).

Edit: Though I'd like to add, having a built in microphone just adds to breakable parts in the HF5, so that is a big no no...

Anyho... Open to suggestions :)

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 17
The HF5 doesn't have a microphone - the HF2 does. I really don't think you'll like the Klipsch S4 if you like the analytical sound. If you're limiting yourself to $100 there's really nothing else to recommend outside of the RE0 and Etys. If your self-imposed limit is due to the idea that higher-end IEMs absolutely require amping, that's not true. There are a few higher-end IEMs that are a clear upgrade over the RE0 (e.g. ATH-CK10 & Phiaton PS200) and don't really require an amp.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 17
At that price limit for that kind of sound I can't think of anything outside of RE0 or an Etymotic like the HF5 but not sure what their price is. It might be a bit over $100 but not by much. Also in regards to isolation Etymotic earphones are second to none in that. I once owned the ER6i which is probably their 'least isolating' earphone and so far none of my earphones after owning that has matched the isolation on those.

Also in regards to amping I have some decent earphones in the CK10 and e-Q7 and don't amp them. I just use my clip+ and the phones and they work just fine.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 17
Well actually yes, my self imposed limit is because I though High end IEM would need amping to shine?
the Phiaton PS200, I can't find the audio technica CK10 on amazon, which is the only place I know that allows international credit cards ( as again, i'm an international buyer)

The only thing that doesn't get my attention is that the PS200 has only single flanged tips, which is why the Etys got my interest because of the passive isolation due in part to the deep insertion.

Edit:Like I said in my first post, isolation must be better than the RE2s (biflanged) which is what I currently own.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 17
The Phiaton isolates a surprising amount. You have to remember that dual-flanges or not, the RE2 is a vented dynamic-driver IEM and has pretty poor isolation on the grand scale. The BA-based CK10 and PS200 are fully sealed. I've tried the PS200 with Shure Olvies and FutureSonics Atrio Dual flanges and the isolation boost is small over the stock single flanges with a good seal. As for places that sell the CK10 internationally, AccessoryJack should stock them and they ship internationally with no issues to the best of my knowledge. But if you're set on the HF5-nothing wrong with that. I'm sure they're good earphones. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 17
No no no no, my problem is, amazon, head direct, accept international credit cards BUT ship within the USA ( I use a courier, because shipping with national Honduran mail is  risky).

I've not settled for the Etys, they just seem the choice, on accessory jack the CK10 cost $259.99 + shipping and handling, that's way too much. The PS200 seem like a better deal @ $200 on amazon.

Any other recommedation Vs. the PS200, in terms of durability/build quality and isolation? If not then I'll look for a couple more of reviews for the PS200 and presto!

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 17
Well it depends with head direct. They ship from two areas depending on where it is shipping to. If you are within the USA and the product is in stock in their US location it will ship from New York. Outside of the USA they ship from China.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 17
wow the EQ-7 cost $393 with international shipping. That's way too much for my current income :p.
Edit: what about the UE superFi 5 ? (against the HF5 obviously )

Forgot to ask... Lot's of mumble about the IEMs, little about the source, so.. :
My sources will probably be creative x-fi2, iphone, computer. Will there be a significant improvement in SQ from the RE2s with either of the mentioned? I personally rip all my mp3s @ VBR V0. I have a couple of FLACs here and there, but not enough space to justify passing all my collection to flac. If there will be improvement, then I won't mind spending $200 on the Phiaton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back