RE0's Broken... How should I fix them?
May 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mdraluck23

The Brown Noser
I recently purchased some Head Direct RE0's from amazon, and they were shipped on 4/19/10. I have been using them a fair amount, left them in their case overnight, and I just went to take them out for some listening, and this had happened:

It is a clean break, but does anyone know if I could just send them back to the Amazon seller, DBroth, or somehow to Head-Direct, or just glue them? I am not aware of type of warranty for them, but I've had them less than a month! If I should Glue them, what substance should I use (It's Metal to Plastic)? Thanks in advance for any help.

May 13, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 13
HOLY CRAP! I'd never expect my RE0s to do that! But, the strain relief on both ears has completely separated. At this point, they're just annoying sleeves on the cable.

Head-Direct has excellent customer service. Let me reiterate: EXCELLENT. However, if you purchased it through a 3rd party vendor, I'm not sure if the warranty applies to you. I'd contact head.direct.customerservice@gmail.com and see what they have to say. The warranty specifies a 1 year replacement period. I shot them an email earlier this year about my RE0s sounding imbalanced, and he said send them a print out of the online receipt or transaction page, no other requirements. I would have followed up on the offer, but I was sampling A LOT of different tips at the time (dozens) and foresaw that the strain relief would suffer. It is PPE on metal, and one of them is going to win 100% of the time. I wonder when the best time to replace them would be, since the turnover during December-January was slow (RE0s had just dropped to $80). But I'm certain everyone was satisfied, albeit at the expense of patience.

Did I mention they have excellent customer service?

May 13, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 13
I couldn't believe it when it happened  I was ready to cry.... (not really). I mean, They are most certainly defective. Anyway, I shot DBroth a message on Amazon, but I don't know when they will reply. He looks like a major seller, with over 100,000 feedbacks. Luckily they are 98% positive... But a few said he didn't handle returns. I will email Head-direct next, I just didn't know if they even had ANY customer service. My RE0's came in a box that said HiFiMAN on them, and the say HiFiMAN on them. Do they all say that? I am starting to think I may have gotten a fake or something. I must say that if they are fake, then they were good ones, because they sound amazing 
ksc75smile.gif

May 13, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 13
In case of warranty being denied, I would just use super glue. Worked on my Atrios for 6 months when they cleanly separated on one side.

EDIT: They aren't fakes, Hifiman is Head Direct's new brand name.

May 13, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 13
Yeah this has happened to my re0 over and over and over.. But living in Aus we have a fairly humid environment so the superglue keeps on drying out.

I just glued them,
one time this happend and my wires came off so I had to re-solder them...

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Just wanted to add my experience to this thread. Today I placed my Sansa Fuze and RE0s in my jacket pocket, like I've done for the past few weeks. Nothing out of the ordinary. When I took them out to listen I found the left RE0 case has split in two, just like the OP. There is still sound coming from the split side. It sounds fine. But I was shocked at the flimsy RE0 build quality. I really love the sound of the RE0s. I want to know if I should bother super glueing the pieces together or just talk to Head-Direct where I bought it from, and see if I can get a replacement. Was it a hassle to get a replacement? Did they ask to send back the broken RE0s and the tips? I'll email them, but I just want a heads up before I do. Thanks.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 13
Seemed like a hassle to return it, so I tried some superepoxy glue. I carefully glued both sides of the metal, and anchored it under some weight to hold it overnight to bond. That seemed to do the trick and it looks like new. I can no longer recommend the RE0s due to the shoddy build quality. The sound is good granted, but overall I would pass on this IEM, for some more durable ones.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 13
Like I said, I patched them with a bit of superglue, clamped them overnight, and they never broke again, in fact, I'd almost suggest it as a durability fix :D

May 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Superglue or hot glue if you want to get back in there.  I've done this before to repair a set of RE0s before

May 28, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
what from the side of DBROTH and AMAZON ? who prived the warrenty ? does head direct were willing to accept a product from DBROTH seller ?

I am curious about this myself, I purchased a pair of these earphones from this seller and after a few months of light use.... the right earphone completely died on me.  After looking through some reviews of these earphones on amazon, it looks like I am SOL unless I can fix these myself.

Guess I could always try and re-cable my old E2c's  =/

May 28, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 13
Use an Apoxy and just glue them back in, You can see they were glued anyway.

Nat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back