RE0-amp?
Feb 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

flentge

New Head-Fier
I just placed an order for the RE0 and was wondering if an amp is a must. I have a i-pod classic 120gb and will be picking up a clip+ shortly.

Cheers
Josh

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 9
I prefer to use my RE0 with a small amp. I have the iBasso T4. Any warm sounding amp is good. The new Soundmagic amp is an excellent choice, read the review at inearmatters, from ClieOS.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 9
I use a Fiio E5 amp with my RE-ZERO which is easier to drive than the RE0.

Mainly I use the amp as a better volume controller than my phone and the bass boost function on the E5 adds a nice emphasis to the earphones on many trackss.

Seriously loving the RE-ZERO's on pretty much any track. Electronic sound amazing in my opinion.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 9
My experience with amping the RE0...

First I used the Fiio E3 which made them sound worse, OK bass increase (due to it boosting the lower end), but killed the detail. Then I bought a iBasso T3, which was a massive improvement over the E3, retained a lot more detail and made a very subtle improvement to the lower end. I still felt the T3 removed a touch of detail/crispness from the treble and the improvement as I said was very subtle.

In the end I went back to running them straight out of my DAP. So to answer your question I certainly don't think an amp is a must. Unless you are going to get something of the quality of the T3 or above I wouldn't bother and even then I don't think it's really needed.

I found getting the right tips made much more of a difference than using an amp or not. As always just my opinion. Really love the phones though so your in for a treat when they arrive.

This was using a Fuze with a LOD and an iAudio7 with a decent mini to mini.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 9
I have the RE-ZEROs and run them straight out of my iPhone 4. I never felt as though they needed amping, but like the above poster said, there is a huge difference in sound with different tips.

I'd really recommend getting either Shure Olives or Sony Hybrids for the RE0 'cause in my opinion they sound overly bright and brittle with the bi-flange tips included in the package, and the short black tips don't isolate very well. Every ear is different from the next though, but in case you're unhappy with the sound out of the box, new tips is a cheaper way of improving them than buying an amp.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 9
I use the Arrow 12HE to amp my RE0. That amp has a wonderful bassboost that gives the RE0 more oomph and body. I really miss the amp when I don't use it. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Thanks guys. A friend from out of state has a iBasso D4 they will sell me for $100 so maybe I will pick that up.

Cheers
Josh

Good choice. I prefer to listen to my RE0's through my D4.  They sound great with my Clip+, Cowon J3 and iPhone, but they really tighten and open up with the D4.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back