RE-ZERO: Photos & First Thoughts - Now with Review Links!
Sep 2, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #211 of 237

Quote:

No imbalance on my diy mini3 with 5x gain. But the RE-ZERO needs the adapter with it.

Just to confirm, you're saying that there is no audible volume imbalance with the RE-Zero plugged directly into the Mini3?  What's your potentiometer position at normal listening levels and did you DIY?  I've asked about my imbalance issue before... I may just have to order a couple more pots and see if they're any better.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #212 of 237

Quote:
Just to confirm, you're saying that there is no audible volume imbalance with the RE-Zero plugged directly into the Mini3?  What's your potentiometer position at normal listening levels and did you DIY?  I've asked about my imbalance issue before... I may just have to order a couple more pots and see if they're any better.

That's correct - no imbalance. Pot position is as low as it goes - anything else is way too loud. I don't have an engraved faceplate so I can't be more specific than that. It's literally like 1/2mm of rotation past the shut-off point. This particular mini3 is not my build - it was made by a head-fier named Flacm0nkey and it's the best mini3 I've heard.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #213 of 237
My DIY Mini^3 with 3x gain has channel imbalance at the very low volumes. The only way to get perfectly balanced channels is either pure luck, or buy a boatload of RK97 pots and test each one with a multimeter until you find one that is perfect.

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #215 of 237

Quote:
i did a lot of research and narrowed it down to RE-ZERO,man this is such a huge disappointment with the adapter....why cant they just manufacture them with 3.5....

Why?

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #216 of 237
I don't have an issue with the balanced plug and the adapters. They come with two adapters which is nice and it does provide some kind of testing for Hifiman since it is a limited edition. Fang did mention something about a balanced amp in the future so I do wonder how the RE-Zero does with an actual balanced amp. It would be more bothersome if no adapter was provided.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #217 of 237
x2
The adapter is no issue for me.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #219 of 237

Quote:

Quote:

Makeshift illustration:

I've seen several earphones with TRRS, if it is indeed TRRS I'm looking at, perhaps it's a hybrid system? I can't imagine TRRS earphones being sold without a warning label that you'll only get sound in your left ear.

I've also seen a TRS to TRRS adapter in a small thai electronics shop, so I'm assuming they're not too difficult to find and have some function outside of the niche market of audiophiles with balanced amps.

http://denon.jp/company/release/ahd310r_c560r_c260r.html

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-C560R-Headphones-3-Button-Microphone/dp/B003U6XYAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1286427276&sr=8-1

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #221 of 237
The ones above are wired with an incline mic. They might be TRRS but  they will still work with most TRS jacks because there is a common ground for both channels at the same spot it would normally be. A TRRS adapter meant for an IEM with an inline mic won't work with the RE-ZERO for the same reason. The Digital Designs DD-DXB01 is a special case as it is neither balanced nor wired with an inline mic. The extra contact point on its plug is not wired to anything.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #222 of 237

Hello.

At first i want to say that i dont want to spark the "adapter" discussion, but my re zero work with my ipod classic+e7 fine without adapter ?
I tried them with ipod or computer it doesnt work right, just with the amp. Is there still some sound issue if i listen without the adapter, i mean i cant hear any difference?

Thank you

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #223 of 237
If anything using it without the adapter should be a bit better I tihnk. Heard of a Cowon S9 user getting better results without the adapter, but that particular Cowon model supports a balanced plug intentionally. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #224 of 237
You won't "hear" the adaptor.  It's just a very short length of cable.

Back on topic, I've had my RE-Zeros for 5 months and have absolutely no complaints about their durability!  This is a great product.  

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #225 of 237
yeah it's not a matter of the cable degrading sound rather than whether the enabled balanced configuration would result in improvement. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back