RE-ZERO: Photos & First Thoughts - Now with Review Links!
Jun 14, 2010 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 237

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Edit: Full RE-ZERO review has now been added to my Multi-IEM review thread (here).

For completeness, a list of other RE-ZERO reviews:

[Review] Hifiman RE-Zero by rawrster
HiFiMAN RE-ZERO Review by mark2410
REVIEW: HiFiMAN RE-ZERO by LeonWho
REVIEW - HiFiMan RE-ZERO: Things Have Changed by TheGame21x

First impressions then. I have quite literally only been listening to them for only an hour. After using a set of Sennheiser IE8s all day, I need to re-tune myself to analytical sound before saying anything conclusive. I will say this: bass depth seems to be improved slightly compared to the RE0 but don't expect bass monsters - they are still rolled off in the lowest octave and extremely tight and controlled all-around. Despite the 16-ohm nominal impedance, they don't appear to pick up much hiss from my netbook.

The 4-pole plug of the RE-ZERO is configured for use in a balanced configuration (with a ground for each channel). What that means in practice is that the right channel is lost when it is plugged directly into a standard mp3 player headphone jack (tried with S:Flo2, Sansa Fuze, AMP3, and Cube C30) and requires the single-ended adapter to function properly (see pics below). 

Edit: A soft adapter will indeed be included with the final production version. 

On to the photos, then. First off, the box is identical to the RE0 v.3 and RE252 boxes - thick plastic, foam insert, hinged, etc.

The accessory pack is similar to the RE0 - a pair of large bi-flange tips, S/M/L single-flanges, a shirt clip, 5 pairs of replacement filters, plus the single-ended adapter and a pair of i-don't-know-what (bottom left) (Edit: The i-don't-know-what was mistakenly added to my RE-ZERO and does not belong)

The RE-ZEROs themselves are indeed identical to the v3 RE0. The y-split has HiFiMan branding as well as the text 'RE-ZERO'

The 4-pole plug fit into an adapter that appears to share a casing with generic 3.5mm splitters of the $0.99 variety.

And the whole thing plugged into my hapless Sansa Fuze:

Update: Just got an updated version of the adapter, thanks to Fang (the best customer service is still that which happens unprompted). 

Pic of the new adapter, for those who haven't seen it:

And a pic of the RE-ZERO with the adapter attached. Obviously there's the issue of the 'kink' in the cable that occurs because the ZERO's native plug is angled, but it's a small price to pay for an adapter that actually works. Also, something I haven't thought of before - cable problems that often occur at the jack will not be much of a danger to the RE-ZERO - all that would need replacement is the adapter. 

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 237
Quote:
would you recommend them over the re-0's?

Probably, but I haven't spent enough time with them; nor do I know what they will cost over the RE0.

Quote:
Ok - whats the story on that plug and adapter?  Can that "L" shaped plug not fit directly into an MP3 player??  If not, what the heck size is it?

It's not a matter of fitting but a matter of getting both channels. The position of the poles is different than even that of a iphone headset plug so plugging it into any one of my mp3 players directly yields audio only the left channel. I probably should add that to the OP.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 237
wow..and here I was wondering what you were complaining about. I thought it would look like a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter but this is pretty bad. It looks like one of those splitter adapters. I hope it sounds good cuz the adapter increases quite a lot of bulk.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 237
Agreed. There really isn't a good reason to have a cable design like that for a portable device.  Would cutting off that offending adaptor and soldering on a replacement be a viable solution?

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 237
damn that adaptor thing is a huge disappointment, I was really going to go straight for these, but now, not so sure.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 237
Quote:
The "I dunno what" looks like the soundtubes where the silicon sleeves go on.

That was my guess but I have no clue what to do with them. Not like the original nozzle can be unscrewed and replaced with those. I guess those are a mystery for now.

Quote:
Agreed. There really isn't a good reason to have a cable design like that for a portable device.  Would cutting off that offending adaptor and soldering on a replacement be a viable solution?

Yep. Re-cabling them is probably very difficult and not really necessary. Re-terminating should be easy enough for someone who knows what they're doing - you'd just be joining both ground channels into one and connecting Left/Right channels in the usual manner.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 237
I hope Fang reads this and thinks about changing the adapter into something with less bulk and more thought out. Maybe someone can go make a balanced to regular adapter that is more portable friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back