Re-wire/repair K701s?
Nov 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KyPeN

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of k701s that have been a workhorse for a couple years now.  Unfortunately, they seem to be losing a connection internally, as one (sometimes both) channel cuts out often unless I jiggle the cable at the connection point to the left headphone.  Has anyone performed any rewiring/repair work on this particular pair of cans?  Can someone provide maybe some photos of the process or a few things I should know?

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 10
This happened to my son's headphones after 4-5 years and I was easily able to fix them.  First do a search for the k701 manual and parts list.  This will have directions on how to disassemble the phones.  AKG still sells replacement cables for cheap so I just got the part number (#0110E0287) and contacted the US AKG customer service.  I called them direct and they were very helpful, only took 10 minutes.  You can replace the cable with an aftermarket one but it will probably need you to modify the headphones by drilling a new access port.  The original cable was the best solution for me as it mounts securely in the original port.  Then it is just a matter breaking down the headphones and re-soldering the new cable to the connections.  Took me and my son less than an hour to do this and his phones are good as new.

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Nov 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 10
There's Russ Andrews Audio if you're in the UK, but it's rather pricy.
My second hand K701's were recabled by them before I bought them and it's a really decent job.

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Update.  I received the cable from AKG courtesy of Frank Rodriguez, their customer service administrator, free of charge.  It took only 3 days from the initial e-mail exchange to have the cable in my hands in Seattle.  Last night, I was able to fix them completely, despite my horribly unsteady hand with a soldering iron.  I thought I would document it for anyone who wants to know.  I put a new thread on it in the DIY forum here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back