Razer Surround (7.1 virtualization software)
Oct 3, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #16 of 51
Have been using the surround software, I was not able to get the surround experience at all. Could have been the choice of headphones (Grado SR325is). Prefer using the Creative Zxr over this.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #18 of 51
Have been using the surround software, I was not able to get the surround experience at all. Could have been the choice of headphones (Grado SR325is). Prefer using the Creative Zxr over this.

Nah its just a bad software. Does nothing but make the sound muddy and crappy. No surround at all.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 51
It doesn't really work well with any of my high end open headphones. The positioning is always off. For my ears, it works really well with the ATH-M50, and decent with Koss supra aural headphones. Of course every one's ears are unique (size, shape, etc), so rear positional cues might not sound the same to you as they do to me. I'm going to see how it pairs with IEM's tonight.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #21 of 51
I just tested it  because at the moment you get it for free.  I use a Sennheiser HD 555 (with HD595 mod) and used some movie  trailers, DVDs, stereo and surround music. For playback I use MPC-HC with  ffdshow (mixer enabled for 5.1 to 7.1 upmix ) and foobar2000 (with 5.1 upmix).
It sounds ok.
But for me the out of head effect is much less than with DH.  The channel seperation sometimes is to harsh and the bass have less punch than with DH. As I like the cinema room model in DH for movies  I miss something similar in Razer Surround. There are no different room settings.

Overall it is not bad but no improvement compared to DH

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #22 of 51
I've been using it for quite some time now with a sennheiser hd598, for gaming exclusively, and it was really an enjoyable experience so far.

I own a xonar phoebus and the card's effects just don't cut it (a disappointement for a gaming sound card, the sound is good however). Xear surround headphones gives adequate positionnal audio, but it sounds really terrible. DHT is a false surround emulation since it's not detected as a 5.1/7.1 setup by games which autodetect audio settings (more and more common now), and sounds tinny/plastic with games that let you choose the audio setup.
So when someone suggested i try the razer software i jumped on the occasion, it was free after all. Sound wise, there's a slight dip in quality (with all audio "enhancements" such as bass boost, volume leveler etc... disabled), but not as bad as with xear and no plastic feeling, so i'd say it's acceptable. After calibration and a lot of adjustements i found the sweetspot that works for my ears and it works great i would say. The positional clues are spot on and the slight quality loss is not problematic in games, the added atmosphere compensates for it. In FarCry3 for example, with DHT aside from left/righ separation EVERY sound feels like it's just in your face and in front of you, there's no way to determine if something is coming from behind. With razer software it gets way better.
On the annoying side, most of the time i have to fiddle with the software when i want to enable it (i don't use it for music). The common problem is the cracking noise between channel changes. I've discovered that when you change outputs a few times in razer software's control pannel, with the effect enabled, the cracking disappears completely.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #23 of 51
yes,It may be useful for gamers that need positional audio, but I was primarily interested in using it for film playback.thanks
tmMx1q

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #24 of 51
Just a reminder, it's free until the end of the month (donation is optional). After that it looks like it will be $20, so if you have any interest in trying it you should get it now.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #26 of 51
In my case, with my Xense + ATH-m50, I'm leaning more towards Razer then DH.  DH has always sounded flat to me, and the audio cues between channels subtle at times.  Razer Surround is a LOT more aggressive, which is bad for music, but better for games, in my opinion.  Need to play more though.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #27 of 51
Hi,,
Anyone has problems with the crackling and static noises that comes when using the razer surround ?

I have Xonar Phoebus + DT990 Berdynamic and I have crackling randomly and some music or movies have Static noise, even in the helicopter razer test it has random static noises and sometimes crackling.

I couldn't figure how to fix it, all the are enhancement off.

anyone knows how to fix it ?
I really like the surround it makes, but the crackling and static noise kills the mood.

Test it in Need for Speed Rivals on the menu when u need to click ENTER before the first load after the game intro. u will hear terrible static noise from the right ear, all the time the music plays, like it has 20% normalization.

Please if someone can check it, or knows how to fix it, it greatly makes the surround good, like skyrim and such.

the Phoebus Xear surround just add so much echo and reverb. and I can't use DHT v4 cause it doesn't make real 7.1 speaker.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #28 of 51
I have the same problem with my phoebus, you can fix it by changing outputs in razer software and then going back to you usual settings. Enabling and disabling virtual audio peripheral also helps, you can check the presence of static with the helicopter test during channel changes. Dunno if it's because of the phoebus but the software is a bit stubborn, you'll have to play with it every time.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #29 of 51
  I have the same problem with my phoebus, you can fix it by changing outputs in razer software and then going back to you usual settings. Enabling and disabling virtual audio peripheral also helps, you can check the presence of static with the helicopter test during channel changes. Dunno if it's because of the phoebus but the software is a bit stubborn, you'll have to play with it every time.

Really ? it happens only to phoebus ? so annoying,,,

I tried that too, it still gets back so fast, I can hardly play for 10 min and I hear it again.

No one else expect phoebus have that ?? I need to know so I can tell razer or asus.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #30 of 51
At least for me it works without static once i mess a bit with the settings. Anyway, no point of telling asus about this, they don't listen to feedback given the 9 months delay between driver releases.... What driver are you running with? What's your OS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back