Razer Surround (7.1 virtualization software)
Jan 7, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #31 of 51
  At least for me it works without static once i mess a bit with the settings. Anyway, no point of telling asus about this, they don't listen to feedback given the 9 months delay between driver releases.... What driver are you running with? What's your OS?

Windows 7 SP1 x64.

The newest driver  7.1.30

What can I do to fix it, I tried to change settings and such, but nothing helps, I disabled everything on the razer cause I don't need the enhancement. I tried to activate the normalization and put it on 0 and other setting on 0. nothing helped.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #32 of 51
Here's what i do

Just before activating the thing i click on the different sources (shown with the highly artistic red arrows), then i enable the program and do the switching again. I test the presence of static with the test button and usually at this point it works perfectly.

Maybe you have some other problem, like a too high sampling rate in the phoebus control panel or some DHT treatement you forgot to disable.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #33 of 51
  Here's what i do

Just before activating the thing i click on the different sources (shown with the highly artistic red arrows), then i enable the program and do the switching again. I test the presence of static with the test button and usually at this point it works perfectly.

Maybe you have some other problem, like a too high sampling rate in the phoebus control panel or some DHT treatement you forgot to disable.

And the noise get back ? or it fix peremently ?

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #35 of 51
  Nope no noise, sometimes i don't disable the thing for days and even after a reboot it works perfectly. But i have to do this everytime i disable it and want to use it again.

ok , I will test it,

Do you have Need for speed Rivals ? Can you check if you hear the crackling noise after the 1st intro ? when u need to click enter and there is looping music before the 1st loading screen.

There is crackling noise from the right speaker on the headphone.
I tried without DHT at all, it was not installed at all, and then I tried it with it installed just to see if it effect anything.
In phoebus I tried all the Sample and depth, it didn't change antyhing.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #38 of 51
Just to necro an old topic, and to avoid making an entire new thread just for this.

I'm running the Razer Surround 7.1 with an ODAC/O2 + Q701, playing Battlefield 4.

For gaming, these are simply amazing. The Q701 has unnaturally large soundstage, soundstage depth, bright treble, somewhat leanish (but solid/detailed) bass.
So what does the Razer Surround 7.1 do to my setup?

Well first off, I did a few things.
-Enable Virtual Audio Device
-Enable Stereo Enhancement (Description: Increase the dynamic range of sound by widening the stereo field)
-Disable EVERYTHING ELSE (Sound normalization, bass boost, voice clarity)

Because the Razer Surround already boosts the bass by default, and voice clarity makes the midrange for gunshots sound muddy

On Battlefield 4, I used the Headphone setting with Surround.

The result?

Pinpoint accuracy of audio cues. The Q701's have a ~45 degree audio positioning depending on the direction of the audio source. What the Razer 7.1 does is narrow this down to 30 degrees.
Mix this pinpoint accuracy with accurate bass location, and the amazing depth the Q's already have. This is essentially the most immersive gaming experience I've had.

When I mean accurate bass location, an explosion off in the distance will really sound like it's far away. One that's extremely close will rumble the Q701's and be quite a theatrical experience.
The downside is that the treble peak is lost, that's about it.

Now I tried using my A900X with the software.

Nope. Did not sound good, the A900X has a midbass hump and adding more midbass hump made things more muddy. The A900X has great soundstage for a closed headphone, but it's a two layered 2D soundstage compared to the Q701's 3D soundstage depth. The A900X also has angled drivers which does not work that well with this software, since audio cues are more in front rather than  to the side. There's an option on the software to fix this, but it didn't do it for me.

Now let's try it with music.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Treble lost, loose bass, pulled back mids? No thanks.
The midrange is not balanced at all. It feels like the ~300-800hz section of the mids are pulled back, while the rest is still flat. Not the best for music. Although, amazing for games without a doubt.

Is the Razer Surround worth it?

It's free, give it a shot, I loved it. With the right headphone, I think these are quite amazing. Especially with my open back Q701's. I didn't get the best results with other cans that are listed in my signature.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #39 of 51
Hmm,

But when u choose heapdhones in BF4 u actually use the game own sound management, u lose the 7.1 speakers from home cinema/Hi-Fi and the game just use it's own HERF or whatever it's called. forgot the name.

and many people suggest to use in any game with the max speakers u can set in the game.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #40 of 51
Alright, I've tried every game. Pretty much every headphone (except the Q701's) in my inventory sucks with Razer Surround because they all already have some type of mild bass boost. Attempting to EQ them just made a muddy mess.

Although with just the Q701's and Razer, I couldn't find a game that didn't benefit from these. Assassin's Creed Black Flag made local chatter sound lively and initimate, Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 had car audio at the front end of the soundstage, while the music took advantage of the background. Games made by valve just had more depth in soundstage as they already implement amazing 3D audio cues.

Battlefield 4 offers a setting called Wartapes as well which is supposed to bring out better details, but Dice dun goofed and everything sounds clipped and over-compressed with no room for dynamics. Battlefield 3 is the only game with the best Wartapes that resembles the type of pleasing audio coming from the Battlefield Bad Company series.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #41 of 51
War tapes is supposed to sound all clipped like that. It's supposed to sound like old war footage. Try "home cinema" or "hi fi" instead.

x7007, You probably don't want to use the in-game "headphones" setting with virtual surround. That's for people who don't have a surround output device.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #42 of 51
  War tapes is supposed to sound all clipped like that. It's supposed to sound like old war footage. Try "home cinema" or "hi fi" instead.

x7007, You probably don't want to use the in-game "headphones" setting with virtual surround. That's for people who don't have a surround output device.

I just went for headphone surround, home cinema was too bassy, hifi felt a bit too distant. Headphone option still had the sharp treble punch and mild rumble.

Edit: I just went through this article, it's pretty neat. http://web.archive.org/web/20100125145238/http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2010/01/22/an-audiophile-s-guide-to-bf-bc2-full.aspx

Just note that it doesn't explain the audio modes, just that the game is designed for 5.1 surround.

I went back to headphone/stereo, what I missed is that the original sound signature of the Q701's made incoming gunfire more frightening.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #43 of 51
My turn to necro :)

Just wanted to add that it doesn't work well for me with my Samson SR850, which I thought would be well suited being open-back. It gives things a bit more atmosphere, much like reverb would but I can't say there's any great positioning effect that I can notice. I tried it with my Creative Fatality gaming headset and a pair of high-quality Yamaha earbuds and didn't get the positioning with those either. Might just be my ears though!

If I want to play a game on my TV and set the default audio device to the AMD HDMI output, then I select that in Razer, I get nothing from the TV when testing in Razer (I have headphones plugged into the TV's headphone socket, I wouldn't expect to be able to appreciate Razer on the TV speakers) and when I play games some sounds are missing, like some speech in cutscene disappears or is really low, so it's probably not downmixing the centre channel or something but I don't know why.

I'll probably just stick a couple of bookshelf speakers on my rear wall and power them with a cheap tripath amp, as I did something like that before and even though those speakers were mostly only good for mid-range, it sounded amazingly immersive, with atmospheric sounds like bird song and crickets chirping filling the room and not feeling like they were coming from just two points behind me at all. It doesn't even need to be loud, so I shouldn't annoy my neighbours even with my flat's poor soundproofing.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #44 of 51
You'll never get true far Front and Back sounds simply because there are only L/R side speakers to your ear.
Everthing will sound center-ish in/out of your your head except the clear L/R directions.
CMSS seems to be the best directional sounding because of the enhanced squeaky mids.
Compare it for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGbf--jR3HQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NirHR5l9AU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnpLUlD20z8
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sbx+dolby
---
Razer won't work with hdmi, simply its a separate intergrated audio in the videocard out of control from Razer.
---
Only real 5.1/7.1 loudspeaker setup will give you real front and back directions.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #45 of 51
Yeah, I wanted it to work but it just doesn't do anything worthwhile for me, more of a enhanced/wider stereo than surround, so real speakers it will have to be.

I don't really understand why Razer wouldn't work with HDMI though, as I thought Razer processes the sound coming from the game and then passes on a stereo signal to the soundcard, so I wouldn't think it should matter whether that's the onboard realtek headphone socket or my AMD GPU's HDMI socket. Both will quite happily work with a stereo signal from a program/game, so I don't see why Razer's stereo signal should be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back